• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music while throwing?

No music for me either. I like being out and hearing nature, it's part of the disc golf experience :D.

About a year ago at DeLa there was a group that was playing some nice jams and it sound good even from a distance, then I saw them and found out why...they had a wagon with a full on stereo system amp, speakers, and a sub. Looked like a pain to drag around. Didn't bother me as I am rarely serious about my game.

About a year ago at DeLa there was a group that was playing some nice jams and it sound good even from a distance, then I saw them and found out why...they had a wagon with a full on stereo system amp, speakers, and a sub. Looked like a pain to drag around. Didn't bother me as I am rarely serious about my game.

If I'm going through all that trouble I think I would rather be lugging around a cooler with a radio built in :D.

I don't play music myself, but I usually don't mind it if someone else in my group has tunes. One friend of mine plays music every time we play and I don't care b/c we have the same musical taste. I guess I would say just don't be blasting your stuff to the point it would disrupt others. My buddy will turn it down as we approach other groups at a tee. If only everyone was like this...

The suburban gangster frolf punk kids playing various "rap music" is becoming more prevalent these days. These ones can be annoying for a number of reasons.

Funny, as I'm typing a vehicle drives by with bass that rattles my windows and I'm pretty sure I could feel it in my chair. That annoys me more than any music on the course.

Really. Hmm. Every time I'm there I run into people listening to Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix. I generally don't play on weekends tho.

Sure, but the people that are playing Floyd and Hendrix are the people that you usually play with. Floyd is actually alright from a distance because it is so soft, but even Hendrix is just a jumble of static if you aren't right next to the speaker. Most of the other people on the course, and at Oak Grove, are listening to reggae and death metal.

Regardless of the style of music, it pretty much all sounds bad from 20 feet away. It can be very distracting at Sylmar in areas with multiple tees like at 7 & 14, and 12 & 15, especially if you are trying to concentrate.

Barry listens to Floyd. Even during tournaments. Earplugs till it is time for him to shoot.

I rock some music with my phone too. Only I have earbuds in and I use the Pandora app. I really only do it during solo quick rounds.

I like to play with earbuds in. I played collegiate nationals with earbuds in at all times. It was quiet enough that I could even talk to the people on my card, but it juts helped keep me in the zone the entire time. The only way I can play with the cord is if it's got the loop that goes over your ear, or they just fly out when I try to drive.

I don't mind others playing music as long as it's not death metal or country

I tried ear buds once and it wasn't for me. I like the peace and quiet of a nice course.

Funny, as I'm typing a vehicle drives by with bass that rattles my windows and I'm pretty sure I could feel it in my chair. That annoys me more than any music on the course.

and on the 7th day God created bass

Thanks everyone for your opinions. It seems like most everyone believes that music is OK, especially if you take others feelings into consideration. That's what I try to do on the course all the time, unfortunately, there are others that are oblivious of ANYBODY else in the world, on OR off the course.

My opinion on some things posted:
1. Music tastes vary, and a lot of young people who play dg (and don't play) like the death metal. I don't get that kind of music, but whatever.
2. The sounds of nature are awesome, and a low volume music usually doesn't deter from that.
3. Earbuds or headphones suck while trying to throw.
4. Music or headphones during a tournament, is a bad idea. Casual rounds only.

Thanks again for the pleasant posts....

Hector

Last edited:
I absolutely hate Music during casual or serious rounds. It drives me crazy. My best friend has been playing music from his iphone lately during rounds and it sucks. I think he may be doing it too get me off my game but either way. I have a.d.d. but i dont take any of those ridiculous Rx amphetamines so pretty much everything distracts me especially music. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Seems like you can answer any subjective etiquette question with: just ask the people it affects directly at the time.

For me it would depend on what song was already stuck in my head, and whether I consider your music to be an upgrade on that song. Not an answer you can find on a web thread ahead of time.

I do appreciate that you ask here, and that you're willing to ask on the course. I'd rather hear manners than 70% of the songs that are out there.

The good thing about disc golfing in Northern California is that when music is being played on the course it is always some good reggae. Can't complain there!

I listen to a lot of heavier music so I only play it on solo rounds. Usually put Pandora's classic rock station on while playing with my paps. But if I see someone that I think can hear/distract them I always cut it down. To answer the OP no I don't mind if people play music during casual rounds.

Background music is fine. But I'd prefer to listen to more ambient sounds - as long as that doesn't include traffic noises. Any kind of loud or foreground music is just distracting. Especially if it's good!

I like listening to music during casual rounds and tournies. It helps keeps my brain from over thinking shots. i usually strap my mp3 player to my shoulder strap on my bag so i dont have to throw with earbuds around my neck. I always go to a local tourny once a year that sells out and the TD plays music all day through a speaker system and it is one of the best tournies of the year. If Pro basketball players can make foul shots with people waving all sorts of crap in the backround i dont think some tunes is all that distracting.

In a tournament I'd rather not have music on, but in a casual round it doesn't bother me one bit to hear music from someone I'm playing with or someone passing by. Especially if I'm out for a round with friends just to relax, I enjoy having some tunes on.