• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Must plays in new areas

We can add Birmingham to the list BTW.

Thinking Inverness?
Inverness Long-Long has one of the most difficult 1st holes that I've ever played! (~990 courses). That is enough to make it memorable, but there are lots of great holes out there too.

Last edited:
Kudzu in Guntersville? That's an awesome course, I've played that one.

it has like 3 filler holes, but I really liked it. What didn't you like?
It's just not my cup of tea being that open. I was overall disappointed with the 3 Alabama courses I played.

Georgia was a pleasant surprise however.

And then letdown by Langley Pond SC.

It's just not my cup of tea being that open. I was overall disappointed with the 3 Alabama courses I played.

Georgia was a pleasant surprise however.

And then letdown by Langley Pond SC.
What did you get to play in GA? I do feel like we have a fairly high number of underrated courses.

We can add Birmingham to the list BTW.
If you are on the North side, you might check out John LeMaster in Trussville. Not a destination course, but some interesting topography and design and good for a fun round.

Hobbs, NGCT - liked Red Hawk a lot more than OG, and all 3 at IDGC.
If you get to come back Edwards, Westside, Gatewood and Etowah are all 3.5+ and all within 20 mins of highway 75.

To update everyone who helped, I just completed my Charlotte trip and was able to play both courses at Elon, and Renaissance Gold. Liked all of them and RG was very fun but Angry Beaver was fantastic. Might have cracked my personal top 10.

It's Ocala this week and I'm hoping to try Greenway!

Hey guys, I am traveling a ton for work these days and to many areas I've not disced in before. If you have played these spots can you make some recs?

Next stop is Charlotte, and I've got a game plan there, but if you have a must play that isn't Hornets Nest, Scrapyard, Renaissance Gold or Nevin I'm all ears.

After that is Ocala, FL and I know next to nothing about that area other than horses and the old people swingers in the Villages.

Then Memphis where I am thinking of bagging the course in West Memphis over the boarder to get AR on my list. But would have time for maybe one more course as well.

After that Savannah and Tallahassee are probably next and I've only played Tom Triplett in that area.

As my schedule fills out I'll keep asking for recs. Thanks for your tips!
As far as the Charlotte area goes, here's a post I made recently:

Renaissance Gold (Two other courses on site as well)
Winget
Westminster Park (Rock Hill)
Canaan Riverbend (Fort Mill)
Scrapyard
Elon Park (two courses, one easy one tough)
Rolling Pines (About an hour NW)
Chester State Park (About 45 minutes S - Two courses, beautiful 18 hole course and short warm-up 9 hole)

I've made videos of all these courses here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9vemP8jUQRse272Q1O5IWsbit

Out of those I'd definitely look up Westminster, Elon Park Angry Beaver, Canaan Riverbend and Rolling Pines. Chester State Park is awesome if you're gonna be heading south into SC. Winget is solid but not really a must play.

Charlotte, NC:

Hornets Nest: Since you mentioned you have a game plan here, Hornets Nest is a classic choice.
Reedy Creek Park: Offers a variety of challenges with wooded and open holes.
Kilborne Park: Known for its technical layout and beautiful scenery.

Appreciate the Charlotte feedback, but I won't be back there for a while.

If anyone has tips on Memphis that would be great. Doesn't seem like an awesome DG area.

Central in Southaven MS was good for Memphis and Johnson Rd in East keep his was pretty decent as well.

Thank you to those that suggested Northside, I stopped there and it was very fun. If a little soggy right now.

Headed to Tampa/Orlando this week and planning to play picnic island. Maybe one more closer to Orlando if time allows.

Then on to Huntsville/Birmingham next week. Thinking Redstone and Inverness for that one.

I know you won't likely be back to the Charlotte area for a while, but whenever you do find you way up here again, I would definitely look at adding Dry Creek to your list. Was expanded/redesigned a year or so ago into a hard, but fun par 70 with a mix of open and woods. Since it's in Monroe it gets overlooked sometimes by people in Charlotte, but it shouldn't.