• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] MVP/Axiom Fairway Driver Delineation and Descrimination Thread

discspeed

* Ace Member *
MVP//Axiom have released a heap of fairway drivers in the past couple years. While it is great to see a company pumping out a variety of molds at oft-neglected speeds, trying to find a starting point on which combination would best fit your game is pretty mind boggling. Flight numbers are of no assistance here either as a quick glance would suggest a pile of nearly identical overlapping molds.

So what combos of molds and plastics do you use now, in the past, and perhaps hope to try out? How are all these little bit of turn and little bit of fade discs different?

When I threw some...

Servo/Relay acted like the Teebird/Leopard combo for me.

I just tried a couple of Relays today for the first time and really liked them. On the course I played today they seemed to overlap with my Crave a lot. The Craves I have turn a little more than their ratings for me, and the Relays turned a little less. If I want to go with the Relay I need either a more stable Crave or perhaps a Clash would pair better.

just grab a plaz volt

The only one I have is marked 175 and weighs 176.6. It flies nice, but heavy with a higher power requirement than I want for a fairway driver. Every Plasma Volt at my local retailer is marked 175 and feels heavy in the hand. My new flight numbers Proton Volt flies fine up to 350', but when pushed harder turns like a Valk. It's long but not very Voltish.

I just tried a couple of Relays today for the first time and really liked them. On the course I played today they seemed to overlap with my Crave a lot. The Craves I have turn a little more than their ratings for me, and the Relays turned a little less. If I want to go with the Relay I need either a more stable Crave or perhaps a Clash would pair better.

Odd...my Relays were fliptastic.

Odd...my Relays were fliptastic.

That's sort of what I expected, especially after messing with the Signal. I was throwing my Relays flat on uphill shots and slight hyzer for flat straight shot with a little action. Anhyzers needed a touch of anny to hold. They did not want to flip/ride/fade like my Insanity at all...much more Leopard-like with a slow flip-to-lock with a late fade.

I recently started using MVP//Axiom fairway discs out of honesty about my skills and game. The larger diameter of 5 speed discs throws me off and control over the flight of the disc deteriorates rapidly for me from 7 speed on up. So since they are the only company that takes the 6/7 speed disc seriously I am using them and am quite happy with the results. With them I can confidently make 300' +/- shots. I use:

N Resistor - OS disc for getting around obstacles and for dogleg sidearms.
N Crave - Stable disc that will simply go straight thrown either backhand or forehand.
N Relay - Stable/US disc that anhyzers really well. "Sky-Any" success rate has soared using the Relay. Nonetheless, it is not a naturally turning disc. I use a DC Sol for those shots.

I am also using a Proton and Electron Volt for basic drives greater than 300'. The P Volt replaced the DD Getaway and the E Volt replaced the DD Escape. They both handle the wind better than the high glide, DD discs.

They have several very good ones, but you can cover a lot of lines with a Crave and Fireball.

I recently started using MVP//Axiom fairway discs out of honesty about my skills and game. The larger diameter of 5 speed discs throws me off and control over the flight of the disc deteriorates rapidly for me from 7 speed on up. So since they are the only company that takes the 6/7 speed disc seriously I am using them and am quite happy with the results. With them I can confidently make 300' +/- shots. I use:

N Resistor - OS disc for getting around obstacles and for dogleg sidearms.
N Crave - Stable disc that will simply go straight thrown either backhand or forehand.
N Relay - Stable/US disc that anhyzers really well. "Sky-Any" success rate has soared using the Relay. Nonetheless, it is not a naturally turning disc. I use a DC Sol for those shots.

I am also using a Proton and Electron Volt for basic drives greater than 300'. The P Volt replaced the DD Getaway and the E Volt replaced the DD Escape. They both handle the wind better than the high glide, DD discs.

A good feeling 5 speed is the Matrix. Smaller diameter, straight to slight OS flight. You should like it

I use a N resistor and signal as extreme bookends but most of my fairway work has been done by crave/relay.

All that is said if the volt is taken out of the equation. The drift is a nice leopard-esque disc as well but it overlaps heavy with a relay

The lone remaining gyro driver in my bag is a board flat 167g N Inertia. It's moderately worn and I'd rate it 9/5/-2/1.5. I've thrown some pretty amazing anny flicks with it.

I have a newish sparkle P with a touch of dome that's considerably more OS, newish N that's a bit more OS. The plasmas I have are a bit more flippy.

Insanity is quite similar, maybe a touch less stable than the Inertia off the shelf

Weird.. My 160g Neutron Crave is really stable compared to both my new 166g N Relays out of the box. That being said my fresh Relays remind me why I loved them.. A year of wear and it will lose that hint of high speed stability that keeps it straight.

That's how the Crave came to my bag.. The light 150 plasma fills the gap to the Relay, the 160 N is straight with a hint of beef on a FH.. The 165 proton Crave is my wind fairway.

As far as a starting point for folks I'd say Relay / Crave for fairways. Unless you know you're a beefcake then just a Crave but even then they're both useful.

Starting point for DD's I'd say Inertia and then figure out which way you want to go from there.

So, I've been looking into reorganizing my fairways a little and came up with this:

Resistor, N, 175
Servo, N, 170ish
Crave, N, 170ish
Relay, N, 165ish

I currently run this lineup without the servo but I was looking for something that had more movement on it. The crave is ridiculously straight (in a good way) so I was looking for something that had more horizontal movement for shaping shots. Would the servo be overkill or is there another disc that would fit that spot better? I can throw these about 275-300 for reference. Thanks guys

I like MVP/Axiom fairways.
If I could handpick any mold/plastic combo I would take:

Neutron(that old stiff as heck) max weight Resistor
Either plasma Volt or Crave around 170 grams, whichever one prefers
Neutron Relay in 165-168g range for understable shot shaping

So, I've been looking into reorganizing my fairways a little and came up with this:

Resistor, N, 175
Servo, N, 170ish
Crave, N, 170ish
Relay, N, 165ish

I currently run this lineup without the servo but I was looking for something that had more movement on it. The crave is ridiculously straight (in a good way) so I was looking for something that had more horizontal movement for shaping shots. Would the servo be overkill or is there another disc that would fit that spot better? I can throw these about 275-300 for reference. Thanks guys

A clash could be what you're looking for. It had more turn than a crave but also a decent amount more fade

The Crave and the Clash were nearly identical for me. One of the issues is that the Crave can be an inconsistent mold. Some have more LSS and others less. I found that the more OS Craves were nearly the same as the Clash. Have you considered a heavier Relay, and Inspire, or perhaps even an Amp or Volt? I think that right now, one of the gaps in the MVP lineup is a driver that is like an OS Relay but not as OS as the Resistor.

I just played a bunch of fairway driver holes with a Relay, Crave, Clash, and a bunch of Volts. For overstable I had a Deflector, Wrath, and Phase. I realize none of those OS discs are technically fairways, but they are all good on different lines at fairway driver distances.

The Relay is such a smooth disc. It is like a Leopard, but a little less touchy in every way. It's turn is more methodical and it has a much greater propensity to fade without having much more fade than the Leo. I think the Relay flies faster, but the progression of the high speed turn is just as slow. On a couple anny shots where I would normally mash a Theory or Proxy to get to the outside of the circle the Relay was parked on almost the same line. I really needed this disc in my game.

The Crave is like a mini Volt with a straighter overall flight. It is a little slower, but has more glide. They often ended up close on straight or turnover shots. The biggest difference is on shots that flatten from hyzer...the Volt tends to come back to hyzer and fade where the Crave stays very straight. Unfortunately I don't have any max weight or overstable Craves to really compare to my favorite Volts.

If all Clashes flew as nice as the one I have it more people would be bagging them. It is a Proton @ 176g and is board flat. It is both more hss and lss than my Craves, and is probably the most like a premium overstable Teebird of any MVP disc I've thrown. This disc pairs very naturally with the Relay being of slower speed. Unfortunately it is not as good as a TB in the wind, and it gets pushed around if not kept flat.

I'm still a bit puzzled with my flight numbers Proton Volt. I don't think it had a ton of high speed turn, but it is quicker turning laterally than any other Volt I've thrown. It does bomb, but I generally use my Volts as control discs rather than distance discs. My Plasma Volt is wonderful even at 176g, but it does get to the ground quick if not given enough power. I just got a new 175 storm trooper N Volt with flight #'s and I'm happy to say that she has that classic Volt flight, still nice and overstable on the finish under 350' on a flat throw. Yet with the tiniest bit of anny I can make it fly almot perfectly straight.

After today I really want to explore the Relay/Volt combo some more. The Crave is going to sit until I can get a heavier/more stable one to compare against my Volts. I'm still using Wraths for most hyzers and headwinds.

Resistor, N, 175
Servo, N, 170ish
Crave, N, 170ish
Relay, N, 165ish

I guess the question is horizontal movement how? If you are thinking Servo for more fade then yeah sounds right.. it didn't work for me... Fission Photon 143 fills that for me. 165 Resistor was beefy by comparison.

Less stable than a Crave with some bite, the Switch weirdly fills that role not the best in the wind. Hard to know when it will flip and when it won't, it will do a great straight shot to a panning fade or a long turnover to a hyzer out.
I'm probably the only freak on here that loves it, though mines not getting bagged right now it gave me a rough ride in the wind 6 months ago... but if you want to know more.

More workable Crave? 155 plasma

Last edited:
Bought an Amp the other day on a whim, figured I'd try an understable driver in a new category. Its flight is exactly the same as my Dx teebird - not a bad thing, but not the US I expected. I wonder how it will age.