• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posts like the ones above might cause a player to assume MVP's discs aren't good in the wind. The truth is that they can be good, in certain winds. Although none of their discs are billed as true wind fighters, yet.

For those who have thrown the new Shocks, how do they do in the wind?

I have a new shock a 174g and it does pretty good in the wind. I think it is as stable as a PD in the wind. So it's no firebird or predator but it works for headwinds up to about 10mph with confidence. 15mph it gets iffy. You really have to hyzer flip it a lot. But it's still manageable.

All based on personal experience fwiw...

Anode - BH I can drive them 350' comfortably, another 30' if I push em. I can keep them straight into a 5-10 mph headwind with some hyzer up to 325' with no issues, past that it's doable but tricky. Stronger winds will usually make them turn. They get pushed around a lot because the rim is so thick, but a lot of times that translates to just losing altitude quickly rather than turning and burning.

Ion - Same as above as far as D goes, but they handle the wind a little better. If I'm throwing clean that day I'm confident throwing them 325' into a 10mph headwind, but during a full bag round I'd disc up.

Tangent - Not enough experience to say for sure, but I get them out to 375-390' on a calm day without turn, and light headwinds seem to have little effect on its ability to hold the line. It's one of the only dead straight discs I feel comfortable throwing into mild headwinds and crosswinds, especially the heavier ones. I think the bead might account for some of this.

Axis - Domier, more OS Axis do quite well in mild winds, but 15mph or more seems to mess with them a decent bit. Similar D as the Tangent for me with a bit more predictability into wind. Thrown with a bit of hyzer, 30' high and 325-350' of power my fresh N Axis will track right a bit then finish straight or slightly left. It handles wind similar to a KC Pro Roc that's seasoned a bit but still has 0 hss.

Vector - These are a bit shorter, probably more like 350-360' on a typical power golf line. My domier, more OS ones won't turn unless it's pushing 20mph winds, but they do get pushed around a decent bit because of the blunt rim (Blunt compared to a driver). My flatter, less overstable ones aren't quite as wind resistant, but still tend to turn up to flat then fade late rather than flip over in a moderate headwind. Mine are about on par with a Fresh KC Pro Roc for headwind fighting, some a pinch better and some a bit worse depending on dome and wear.

Amp I am still working with so I can't say but in mild winds they are still workable, I know that much. No comments on max D or heavy winds yet.

Volt - This one surprises me. I get 400'-410' on an average throw, can push out to 450' but tend to use my Quasars past 400-420. Now in calm conditions I can get them to hold any release angle, and can get exceptionally straight flights, as straight as any other driver I've thrown regardless of speed or stability. Now the cool part is I can throw them hyzer 375' into a headwind and while they will flip to flat, they won't turn over to the right. I've been working them more lately and their wind resistance is surprising. I was using new shocks for most wind shots but last two rounds used Volts more and it's pretty unique how straight they are in calm conditions while being able to manage a 10-15 mph headwind. Only other straight flying drivers I've seen that can do that are beat QOLFs and seasoned Teebirds, but both of those turn a pinch easier in a headwind fro
what I remember.

New Shock - MVP might not want to call this a dedicated wind fighter, but I will. I think the new Shock is like a seasoned Predator. I have thrown mine bh and fh into 20-25 mph headwinds without issue, and it is my go to control driver for a strong headwind (20-30 mph). This disc is very, very reliable for me into a headwind. In calm conditions these are probably around 380'-390' on an average throw and I can rip them hard and flat for 400+ if needed. Into a 20mph headwind I can throw them flat with 400' of D and they aren't turning. In a 30mph headwind I can throw controlled shots in the 325-375' range with a hyzer release. It took getting used to, because even when the FR Shocks were out I honestly didn't have an MVP disc I was comfortable throwing 350'+ in a 25mph headwind, but this disc feels made for that. I considered dropping my XXX for a bit even, but have since decided I'll keep it because its still useful. But for ayers that don't throw past 400' or live in hurricane land, I could see this being their headwind driver. They fall in between PD/1.2QOLF/Starfire type discs and Predator/Firebird types of discs. More D and easier to throw than the more OS discs but a bit better into wind and a piggier fade than the first category. I am really happy with them and have been throwing them A LOT. They also go surprisingly far for how OS they are, definitely easier D for me than a Pred.

ill have to pick up a new shock i guess, and maybe a domier vector

IMO the best overstable Vectors are Protons/Eclipses with higher overmolds (more bead exposed, higher PLH) and domes that start out flat at the edges and rise up to a decent dome in the center. I've had higher shoulder Vectors that were quite domey and not very stable (old FRs). The one in my bag right now is a 177 pink Eclipse. It has not shown any high speed turn in any situation yet, and it's been in my bag for almost a year.

IMO the best overstable Vectors are Protons/Eclipses with higher overmolds (more bead exposed, higher PLH) and domes that start out flat at the edges and rise up to a decent dome in the center. I've had higher shoulder Vectors that were quite domey and not very stable (old FRs). The one in my bag right now is a 177 pink Eclipse. It has not shown any high speed turn in any situation yet, and it's been in my bag for almost a year.

Yes. I have an older Orange Proton vector that has a flat top and higher over-mold placement (PLH) and this thing is beef, its a great for anytime i need something more stable than my Beat FR Eclipse Green/(Yellow) that's been in the bag forever and just flies neutral with good fade at the very end. i use that when im afraid i might turn over my beat axis :p .. but i also just put a fresh new eclipse axis in the bag and that overlaps my beat vector.. hehe :hfive:

this summer is going to be hella fun with all this new MVP in the bag.

I just tried my new run Shocks today also, and OMG they are beeefy! They start fading almost right away after release thrown under 400. definitely a wind fighter. im very impressed with MVPs changes to the shock. I will have to take it to some 400-500 holes and see how it handles full power >:)

I realize most of this has been covered but I've seen mixed experiences and was wondering IF there are any hard rules for MVP disc flight characteristics between plastics,dome,weight,PLH? if someone could direct me to some good info on this or give me a basic rundown on the following it would help me out a lot.

What's the flight difference between a neutron, proton and eclipse of the same disc?
What's the flight difference between a flat and domey version of the same disc?
Is there really a difference between colours of the same disc?
Of all these differences are any of them substantial or would a noob such as myself not even notice?

Thanks

are any hard rules for MVP disc flight characteristics between plastics,dome,weight,PLH?

A higher PLH virtually always means a more overstable disc, and will trump all other factors. Bigger domes are also generally indicative of a more overstable MVP disc. A big difference in either trait will be fairly noticeable to most players.

Here is the whole shipment.

a97e7022e300f263e64138389194341a.jpg

And my cut

c686319c3d5c3533dadd94e163528813.jpg

Volt - This one surprises me. I get 400'-410' on an average throw, can push out to 450' but tend to use my Quasars past 400-420. Now in calm conditions I can get them to hold any release angle, and can get exceptionally straight flights, as straight as any other driver I've thrown regardless of speed or stability. Now the cool part is I can throw them hyzer 375' into a headwind and while they will flip to flat, they won't turn over to the right. I've been working them more lately and their wind resistance is surprising. I was using new shocks for most wind shots but last two rounds used Volts more and it's pretty unique how straight they are in calm conditions while being able to manage a 10-15 mph headwind. Only other straight flying drivers I've seen that can do that are beat QOLFs and seasoned Teebirds, but both of those turn a pinch easier in a headwind from what I remember.

This has been my experience as well. The quote in my sig truly describes my feelings about the Volt...

Wondering if anyone had a pretty overstable vector up for sale or trade. My last vector (proton) was perfect OS for me, but it was sadly lost and my most recent (eclipse) seems to turn a but more and doesn't have quite the stability I was looking for. I tried the boiling water trick to add a bit of dome as well as ZAMs tuning guide, but each only helped a tiny bit. I don't have any local shops to look at individual discs for dome and PLH. I'd like to try neutron plastic, but I guess I'm not too picky about that. Let me know guys, thanks.

All of my Neutrons have flown nicely so far, with my favorite being the 176 fairly domey lime that is in the water of #20 on my home course...It started out a little beefier than the flatter proton eclipses I had bought prior to receiving it.

My most OS is a clear FR with tons of dome and high plh. It was my first Vector and made me think they were all that OS.

Your best bet would probably be asking for the heaviest, domiest one a shop has in whatever plastic you feel like trying. I've seen variations in dome and plh to some degree in all types of Vectors, but from my limited sample size eclipse tend to be flatter, while Neutrons so far all have had moderate dome, and FR protons all seemed on the domier side. I don't have any regular protons from the later runs though.

I've got a blank green proton, like 179. It's pretty flat, so I'm not sure if it's 1st run or not, but it is pretty beefy. I have to threaten to take away its allowance to get it to stay turned over for any amount of time.

Busted out my old white opaque soft proton Ions today. Used them for all my putter drives and putts. Might switch back to them, love the feel of the plastic.

This...

I'm screwing around with the different plastics with my Ions...

I haven't found anything that I like the flight (throwing) of as much as that softer first?/early run Proton, the ones that are soft but don't say "soft" on them. I also find the FR softies to be more OS...? At least, they're less likely to roll over on me...maybe they're just a bit more forgiving.

Right now I have one FR and a new one that's labelled "soft." Hard to tell how they compare since the old one is fairly scuffed up.

I just recently traded for an old soft proton Ion. It has temporarily booted the Spike out as main putter.
Strange that I never had (or thrown) one since I have every disc MVP has put out except the Shock and Tangent...:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts