• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Motion

I was throwing my 169g motion on a forced turnover line into 25-30mph winds at a tourney Saturday. It came back hard every time, what a great disc.

If you really wanted to only carry one, I would recommend carrying the Shock. If however you want the versatility and control from 300-400 feet I would recommend carrying the Resistor/Motion combo.

Plus, the more you throw the Motion, the more you will love it. As dependable as the best FAF Firebird, and so much longer.

@375 no doubt you'll see a difference. They'll live up to their names, actually. I find the Resistor at full power to be more about turn resisting, but still with some fade. I think of it as a very stubborn Servo.

The Motion has as much if not more straight line D on really good rips, particularly in a headwind, but its lateral movement sometimes just blows my mind. I mean if you're really used to the set up as you've got it, maybe it would be overkill, but the Motion is one of my favorite MVP drivers, I just have a blast with it. It, like, made me realize there were some shots out there I didn't even know I needed.

I have a few rounds under my belt with the Motion. Still sorting my feelings out about whether it'll be a permanent fixture, but it's been intriguing.

A few observations:

Although generally as beefy as you'd expect, I'm surprised by how far it flies before the fade kicks in. I haven't paid attention to my max D with it - probably around 325', as opposed to 375'-400' with Laces - but it definitely seems willing to stay in the air. The first 3/4 of its flight reminds me of a souped up Tesla: not glidey per se, but flies fast in a way that covers ground easily, and loves locking into straight. It's this combined with the fade that makes the disc so intriguing: when that fade kicks in on a full power throw from flat, the disc goes from dead straight to dead left. It's the most L like flight I've ever seen from a disc at my present distance. I had a low skip shot today that was dead straight about 40' right of the basket and ended up about 20' left of it. It was an awesome shot that easily maneuvered past and then behind the patch of trees I needed to avoid to make a run at the basket, and the kind of shot I could attempt with another disc in my bag. Resistor is in the ball park, but just not fast enough for the distance and low ceiling required.

At present the Motion seems like a very niche disc to me, but I'm keeping broomerang's comment about finding an ever-increasing place for it in the back of my mind. Right now I can see it making some extreme hyzers I'd used the Tesla for that much easier and more consistent, as well as some of these crazy skip shots and serious headwinds. I'm half wondering if I'd rather have the forthcoming overstable speed 12 MVP disc in my bag over the Motion for these kind of shots, but that's just a thought I probably won't be able to test for months.

Where does the Motion fit into peoples' bags? How often does it come out, and what for?

Still need to try and overhand this thing, too....

Ok, I'm doing a driver overhaul on my bag right now. Instead of the speed 6/7 crave and clash combo, I'm going to go with some new volts. I plan on putting an OS mold and an US on either side of the volts to fill out stability range. Currently I'm using a resistor for this spot but I've recently had a ton of success with my tensor so I pretty much only use the resistor on short approach flicks. I can't really get the resistor to the distance I like backhand without flexing and that requires too much space so I think the motion would be a good replacement there but my question is can the motion replace my resistor on those short flicks? Can it be powered down considerably for reliable placement sidearm shots? Of so, I'll have to pick another motion up, or maybe wait for the fireball.

I go with the Motion Resistor combo. But I don't bag a Tensor. I find the OS traits of the Resistor more reliable for my game than the Tensor and just power down one resistor for Equivalent Shots. The Motion is a more recent addition to the bag, and I do find it stealing some of my longer resistor shots. It is extremely reliably OS and I feel comfortable using it for both utility shots and 350' shots that I need to trust to not consider turning over with a strong left finish. There is certainly a place for both of them on my opinion, but that gets trickier with your Tensor filling in the roles where I have been discing up.
At the end of the day-say yes to the Motion, and audition the Fireball when it comes out.

Thanks, yeah the tensor never really clicked for me but it just has added glide that helps it carry left a bit more for me where the resistor would die. Do you use your resistor for any short sidearms?

a lighter resistor pairs nice with a heavy motion.

@ryandb -- you might want to check out the shock or a flat heavy N/P volt honestly.
The motion is "faster" but I wouldn't really say its going to fly any longer/further for you unless its lighter weight that will give it some added glide yet still be very OS.

Are the shocks really more overstable than the flat volts? The only thing I'd really use the resistor for is short sidearms. Would the motion, shock, or flat volt best cover that shot? Kind of a 75-150' sidearm hyzer approach

I thought you were looking for a "longer" resistor kind of disc. Yes shocks have a harder LSS than volts but at short approach distances any of the discs could work fine.

Ryandb, I use the resistor for those short utility forehand shots. Super reliable stability and fade at that distance. If the ground is hard enough it can play a fantastic skip as well. If I need to go solely for a hard long skip though on that 100-150' shot sometimes I'll pull out the Motion. If I can go through the air it's always the Resistor.

I'd like a disc that I can backhand longer than a resistor and still be able to hit short sidearm shots. Might be trying to squeeze too much into one disc. Might just keep the resistor on for this shot and pick up something specifically for longer OS shots

The Shock may fill that role. Good backhand D and powers down nicely for me on flicks and BH

Picked up a signed 169g baby blue flylife motion from Nikko at the bg ams flymart Friday night. Ironically I lost my 169g pink Einstein in the drink at basil griffen Saturday morning, and had to put the new disc in the bag for the second round at White in a strong wind. It performed flawlessly(when its archer did, lol) and I didn't think twice about pulling it out, when needed.

Is the Motion a big skipper or does it like to stick to the ground? I have been wanting to combine my Firebird and Crush into one mold in order to consolidate. Been MVP'ing hard lately so now my eye is on the Motion. I've heard reviews comparing it to a longer Resistor which I don't need. Resistor is great for it's role because it doesn't skip out hard. I want to know if the Motion can get that FADE-4 Firebird/Crush/XCal/Predator type skip.

Yep. Ive been known to throw a motion on 100' upshot playing the big skip under a branch or around a corner etc.

I've got a 174g on the way. Very curious to put it up against my Firebird and Crush. I've bagged all 3 MVP discs that I've tested and they have replaced discs I'd been using for years. Could it be a 4-4 MVP sweep? Review to follow next week.

I don't think it's as os as a firebird, but more than a crush. So if you're looking to fill that gap and use it to replace both, you could probably do so.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely overstable. It just has more d potential than the firebirds I've thrown.

Well yeah.. its faster in rim rize and wing shape.

And FBs with slight dome are not crazy OS like the flatties. Never found a motion with dome.

Never found a motion with dome.

:D

This is the relief of committing to MVP molds. I've been playing between the Firebird and Crush for OS driver duties for a couple years. I get myself into trouble sometimes by either not throwing the Firebird hard enough or by misjudging the glide of the Crush. I know it's a slot in my bag where I'd be better off consolidating to one mold so I can get surgical with it. As long as I can get monster skips on hyzer shots that touch the ground at high speed I'll be happy.