• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Im not saying this to be a dick.... :D haha.... Any chance you are trying to throw them nose up? Because gyro don't play that way homie. Gyro punishes you for nose up.

With a lot of gyro too it doesn't hurt to drop 3 or 4g down from your regular weight. That said I look for mild domes and weights around 167 or less.. From what I can tell my dome love is a minority preference. Depending on power (I'm 330' maybe).. I think the flat will turn more but fade harder if you have more juice. I haven't thrown any new ones

This is entirely possible. I've been noticing lately I seem to be throwing drives just a tad nose up. No idea what has shifted in my form but I need to find it. I'll keep the Volt in my bag while I work on it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah it does seem like the new volts are a bit more beefy. I got a new proton that looks like it has some plasma mixed in to replace a proton i threw in a swamp, and it seems to drop out of the air a bit more. Might switch it out for another fission, it's a bit close to one of my seasoned raptors

My super hot take of what could be possibly happening...

So the whole point of having a two piece gyro disc, is to have the outer mold be as heavy as possible ,while the inner flight plate be as light as possible...right?

What if the inner flight plates are coming out very heavy due to these awesome colors we are seeing...and they are having to use lighter weight overmolds??? How would a disc react being thrown if it were purposefully LESS gyroscopic?

I feel like my new Volts literally fall out the sky. No matter how hard I throw them they just don't glide and want to fade hard.... and fast...
(New proton 167 volt with dome and new 173g cosmic with slight dome)

I always wondered with gyro discs....are all the cores the same weight? Are all the overmolds the same weight? Which one is it?

If the cores and overmolds are always different weights, some will be more "gyro" then others right?

So...that would make mvp overmolds the most inconsistent company ever in disc golf. No two discs would ever fly similar and some would fly terrible due to how the weight is being distributed.

Idk

I think the overmold weight would be the same and the core would be where they drop weight. Gyro effect probably the highest with light weight versions of the molds and putters/mids with more weight % in the furthest edge.

My super hot take of what could be possibly happening...

So the whole point of having a two piece gyro disc, is to have the outer mold be as heavy as possible ,while the inner flight plate be as light as possible...right?

What if the inner flight plates are coming out very heavy due to these awesome colors we are seeing...and they are having to use lighter weight overmolds??? How would a disc react being thrown if it were purposefully LESS gyroscopic?

Think of putters vs drivers. Putters have relatively more weight in the flight plate, compared to drivers. So, more weight in the core piece would make the disc, thrown at the same speed, more understable, rather than overstable.

Do the discs look the same in every other aspect? Dome, PLH, and so on? If so, maybe it's a slight change in the plastic composition, which makes the plastic too smooth, lowers the boundary layer height so much, that it causes visible extra drag on the disc. Just throwing my wild guess out there.

Think of putters vs drivers. Putters have relatively more weight in the flight plate, compared to drivers. So, more weight in the core piece would make the disc, thrown at the same speed, more understable, rather than overstable.

Do the discs look the same in every other aspect? Dome, PLH, and so on? If so, maybe it's a slight change in the plastic composition, which makes the plastic too smooth, lowers the boundary layer height so much, that it causes visible extra drag on the disc. Just throwing my wild guess out there.

Yeh... idk what happened. The new Volts are not as flat as they once were but to see a disc go from straight/ understable to a PIG, is weird.

I have never believed the overmold could be a consistent disc...I mean having cores and overmolds being different weights AND precisely connecting the two pieces...seems like a recipe for inconsistencies imo. (Not that it will make a bad disc, just that you may be more likely to get random anomalies)

On the other end of the spectrum...I fully endorse and love their single shot molds for Streamline, Mint, Thoughtspace. These theoretically could give you the best chance to find near identical discs.

It's the 21st century somebody please post pics of a "old" volt next to a "new" one.

From my remedial gyro knowledge the injection points are different between old and new machines and this seems to coincide with the stability difference?

I would but I'm a bandwagon gyro fan and not hipster enough for old volts.

I'd bet a dollar there's no conspiracy of overweighted cores. Again, not familiar with their molding process but common sense would say overmold weight is pretty consistent and core is what varies, otherwise the entire concept of gyro is totally determined by weight…which makes zero sense?

Different injection points, different molding process, aka different PLH. Dunno the business reason for new machines, but if there's general consensus the new ones are glideless bricks I'd expect something to change going forward. Not smart business going forward if one of their holy grail molds can't get past 350 unless you've got JC power.

167g Proton left(newest run)... 174g Eclipse right(kind of old run)...

The eclipse is not a older run but old enough to get the flight numbers of a Volt. Great glide and -.5 to -1 turn with full power out the box.

All the Volts I have had from the "old run" fly like the numbers suggest. They were all very flat, but I can't imagine a little dome on the newest runs would turn these into firebirds ,with no glide.

I got a lighter weight to even counter the dumpy effect from the new Volts. Didn't work..

P.s. iam not part of the noodle arm gang but I also don't have a 30ft run up and launch my body into the shot either.

Attachments

• 20210804_221440.jpg
    20210804_221440.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 16281341711271273653826854396510.jpg
    16281341711271273653826854396510.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 49
  • 16281342162607068940795419727993.jpg
    16281342162607068940795419727993.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 41
PLH is definitely higher.

I've got two new run protons in the upper 160's as well as a cosmic neutron in the same weight range. All are still fresh, and PLH is fairly indistinguishable. Proton has more dome but seems like on a full rip will at least try to track a bit. Both have dumpy fade. Dunno if they need some stank beaten out of them or what. Haven't bothered with a plasma.

For what it's worth, I snagged a used 7/10 172 proton Tesla which is straighter with less fade than any of the volts.

Crave is plenty long for me, so if it's a matter of tracking down ones a bit more beefy than finding straighter volts then I'll go that route?

It's the 21st century somebody please post pics of a "old" volt next to a "new" one.

From my remedial gyro knowledge the injection points are different between old and new machines and this seems to coincide with the stability difference?

I'd bet a dollar there's no conspiracy of overweighted cores. Again, not familiar with their molding process but common sense would say overmold weight is pretty consistent and core is what varies, otherwise the entire concept of gyro is totally determined by weight…which makes zero sense?

Different injection points, different molding process, aka different PLH. Dunno the business reason for new machines, but if there's general consensus the new ones are glideless bricks I'd expect something to change going forward. Not smart business going forward if one of their holy grail molds can't get past 350 unless you've got JC power.

Yeah I dunno, I wish I could attach the same way as FB but imgur is too much work... and honestly so is the dgcr mainframe...

I got a bunch of early volts mostly FR bit of dome low plh I thinky they were pretty rad. I got old, dumped a fr flatty and basically look for lightweight ones now with dome. I'm happy to be back in the saddle again. "Put me in your big old pickup truck, take me to the rodeo...."

I'm sad if this is what became of the volt, it was the first driver from MVP and I threw the hell outta them.. Damn good placement driver, maybe I missed the crap runs. Buncha mine still have silver sharpie marking the weight on the rim. Wish I could still toss em but I'm down to 165 fission. Still pumpin and bumpin for em.... But I wouldn't want a FB ripoff.

What I got for volts is a lot easier to manipulate than a crave but ymmv. I don't like the high wing of a crave.. Volt is more "conventional" but hey maybe I got sh## craves.

Yeah I dunno, I wish I could attach the same way as FB but imgur is too much work... and honestly so is the dgcr mainframe...

I got a bunch of early volts mostly FR bit of dome low plh I thinky they were pretty rad. I got old, dumped a fr flatty and basically look for lightweight ones now with dome. I'm happy to be back in the saddle again. "Put me in your big old pickup truck, take me to the rodeo...."

I'm sad if this is what became of the volt, it was the first driver from MVP and I threw the hell outta them.. Damn good placement driver, maybe I missed the crap runs. Buncha mine still have silver sharpie marking the weight on the rim. Wish I could still toss em but I'm down to 165 fission. Still pumpin and bumpin for em.... But I wouldn't want a FB ripoff.

What I got for volts is a lot easier to manipulate than a crave but ymmv. I don't like the high wing of a crave.. Volt is more "conventional" but hey maybe I got sh## craves. Everyone else seems to love em, but I think they are second rate volts. I tried em for a few years and I'm back on the volt bandwagon as long as they aren't bendy JC's f# those are ugly!!!

Last edited:
Like seriously why the f is he bending like that? That looks more like drowning than throwing! Some ethereal beyond consciousness going thru space I dunno. Who the f# bends like that throwing a disc. I hope that isn't Zam... bah!!!!!!!!

I have a few of zams like the hoc atom... I love the guy.. It's not Marm-O damm I hope.. It looks like JC is coming up for air.. Maybe.. Maybe he'll drown and I don't want that s### he's our boy.. Next thing you know you will tell me they are all flat top and don't even get me started.. He shouldn't have to bend like that for all eternity...

Its like red dwarf when Kryten becomes a human and he's asking about his body and his doohicky... and he's like:

"You mean out of all the choices in the universe someone said: there!!! that's what we are looking for, the last chicken in the shop look!"

... and my nipples don't seem to work... no matter how hard I twiddle it I just can't get Jazz FM!

Last edited:
167g Proton left(newest run)... 174g Eclipse right(kind of old run)...

The eclipse is not a older run but old enough to get the flight numbers of a Volt. Great glide and -.5 to -1 turn with full power out the box.

All the Volts I have had from the "old run" fly like the numbers suggest. They were all very flat, but I can't imagine a little dome on the newest runs would turn these into firebirds ,with no glide.

I got a lighter weight to even counter the dumpy effect from the new Volts. Didn't work..

P.s. iam not part of the noodle arm gang but I also don't have a 30ft run up and launch my body into the shot either.

Based on the pictures, those actually seem like 2 different discs. The newer one is noticably deeper and the core-to-overmold transition is smooth, compared to a much sharper angle on the older one. This could actually be the reason for the dumpier flight, since a higher disc has more drag, and smooth trailing edges increase drag as well (based on memory, at those flight speeds and angles, the drag reduction from the leading edge should be smaller than the increase from the trailing edge. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it, it's been a while since I've had to make similar calculations). The higher dome shouldn't cause an increased fade, but it can reduce the negative turn. It should, however, increase glide, if you have achieved the necessary speed for the disc.

Seems to me like the Volt transitioned into a more overstable disc after the switch to inhouse production due to some differences in molding.

Like seriously why the f is he bending like that? That looks more like drowning than throwing! Some ethereal beyond consciousness going thru space I dunno. Who the f# bends like that throwing a disc. I hope that isn't Zam... bah!!!!!!!!

I have a few of zams like the hoc atom... I love the guy.. It's not Marm-O damm I hope.. It looks like JC is coming up for air.. Maybe.. Maybe he'll drown and I don't want that s### he's our boy.. Next thing you know you will tell me they are all flat top and don't even get me started.. He shouldn't have to bend like that for all eternity...

Its like red dwarf when Kryten becomes a human and he's asking about his body and his doohicky... and he's like:

"You mean out of all the choices in the universe someone said: there!!! that's what we are looking for, the last chicken in the shop look!"

... and my nipples don't seem to work... no matter how hard I twiddle it I just can't get Jazz FM!

You like Red Dwarf too? Smegging hell!

Electron vs. Cosmic Neutron?

I am pretty new to disc golf and found a Cosmic Neutron Volt (8 5 -0.5 2) and an Electron Volt (8 5 -2 1.5). Is it normal for manufacturers to change flight numbers for their different plastics or is one of them an old mold? I understand that different plastics affect flight, no questions there - but these look different; Electron has more dome and a more curved rim.

I am pretty new to disc golf and found a Cosmic Neutron Volt (8 5 -0.5 2) and an Electron Volt (8 5 -2 1.5). Is it normal for manufacturers to change flight numbers for their different plastics or is one of them an old mold? I understand that different plastics affect flight, no questions there - but these look different; Electron has more dome and a more curved rim.
MVP changes the flight numbers for Electron & Fission. Sometimes Innova does it too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

How do fission volts fly?

I'm assuming way straighter than the newer dumpy volts? Or was there a run of fission after whatever changed?

Same goes for regular neutron volts. My only experience with volts are newer protons and cosmic neutrons.

Half intended to add one yesterday, but that rim is a little unique in the hand. Strange, because it's not dissimilar visually to my Lift, which feels fine. Ended up grabbing another Hex instead and may gift one to my playing partner.

Latest posts