• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Wave

So hey, it is winter, good time to play with plastic. I think I shall stick with an all-Wave distance driver lineup and see what shakes out.

Mutha fruckin awesome!

Some dome in theory should add stability HSS and extra glide to power, sounds like fun.

I gotta couple 1st run fission SE, makes me want to pull them out but meh...my cosmic 158 insanity se is nailing it. Don't get me wrong I love the wave....

How's your side to side movement with it?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I love the wave....

How's your side to side movement with it?

The thing I love about the N Wave is the lack of side to side movement. On a low line, slight hyzer to flat to drift to mild fade is about as straight as I can throw a distance driver. Lots of long wooded tunnels around here.

Fission Wave will probably get used on more open holes, when I need a late fade, etc. Tomorrow is supposed to be gusty so if I get out again I will see how it flies in the wind.

For me Plasma Insanity is more of a turn-and-fade disc, at least until they get very well seasoned.

Pshaw my insanity is. Cosmic neutron... I'm breaking up with you now. Thanks for not listening :D

You can take your discs,,,, but you will have to come and get them!

Fission back into the bag yesterday, so three plastics on tap. Pretty broad range of shapes available including a good straight punch with the Fission when I get the hyzer flip angle right.

I *could* even envision retiring the Lift although I'm not there yet. There are a couple holes here locally where the Lift is absolute money. Speaking of, best in-round forehand ever with the Defy yesterday. Feels exactly like the Wave in the hand but it very definitely has its own personality.

Anyway, really happy that the Waves are back into the production schedule. It's pretty close to being a Goldilocks driver: enough backhand turn and/or fade and/or straight depending on the throw and the plastic.

Loving all this Wave chatter! There's a part of me that wants to snag a Proton Photon and a heavy Cosmic Neutron Wave to go along with my Fission Wave. I feel like I could cover all lines with those three discs easily. But on the other hand, I have enough Trespasses on hand that I will probably continue to bag those next to the Wave for now. Maybe I just won't look for them as long when thrown off the fairway. I mean, if I lose handful of Trespasses then I could reasonably buy more MVP drivers to replace them.

Last week, I was saying the Wave is beefier. Today I tweaked my form a bit and got the nose down and the turn REturned. In lucky the hole I three it on has a big dirt wall 20' behind it.

This was the 1st time in awhile I three an 11 speed farther than a 9 speed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Timely bump.

I'd posted a while back about something to back up my lightweight Opto Ballista. Not a lot of 150 class discs out there right now, so I ordered a 153g Fission Wave to give it a shot.

Loving all this Wave chatter! There's a part of me that wants to snag a Proton Photon and a heavy Cosmic Neutron Wave to go along with my Fission Wave. I feel like I could cover all lines with those three discs easily. But on the other hand, I have enough Trespasses on hand that I will probably continue to bag those next to the Wave for now. Maybe I just won't look for them as long when thrown off the fairway. I mean, if I lose handful of Trespasses then I could reasonably buy more MVP drivers to replace them.

I haven't thrown the proton photon, I've got some older ultra light fissions... they were/ are an excellent complement. My 143 fizz photon is the "secret weapon" haha it's still more stable than a 155 plasma wave if I don't cheese the angles.

I gotta pull out my waves again in the spring, I've been fighting the urge to buy some of the new fission. My 148 fizz is a turn machine, the domey 165 is comfortably straight. Always been my longest driver but that nice stretched S flight is difficult in the woods.

Two new fission Waves came in. The least understable Waves I have ever thrown. One can even be thrown into a little wind. Like Champ Tern stability.

Forgot to throw it in the bag for the round, but pulled out the new SE before leaving today: really encouraged by the first couple throws and looking forward to seeing how that one fits in. A little turn but very manageable and predictable, and it this keeps up, it might challenge the CN for the top of the heap.

I ended up snagging my local shop's last mid-160's Fission Wave. That gives me two backups for the one I am bagging. It's just exactly what I look for in a workhorse distance driver -- comfortable grip that releases consistently for me, manageable amount of turn with low-to-moderate fade, rewards exceptional throws with some added distance, and doesn't overly punish bad throws. I am fighting the urge to buy a stack of 5-6 of these, because I know that I grow frustrated with distance drivers more easily than any other discs. I've learned my lesson based on the stack of Trespasses sitting in my basement that I now wish was only half as tall. But man, this disc just seems to be a goldilocks for how I'm throwing right now.

I've been playing Purple 7 at our Buhlow course for as long as it's been a course(2013). At age 54, I just threw my longest drive there with a low 160s Fission Wave. It was down wind and turned just a little then rode for a while. Right at 400'.

Forgot to throw it in the bag for the round, but pulled out the new SE before leaving today: really encouraged by the first couple throws and looking forward to seeing how that one fits in. A little turn but very manageable and predictable, and it this keeps up, it might challenge the CN for the top of the heap.

And... cut roll straight to the pond at Alexander Park. Entirely my bad for not trusting it to turn and forcing the issue with angle out of the hand. It was consistently longer for me than either the CN or the Proton by 20ft or so.