• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My bag's endgame

Yeah but all your cycled discs don't do you any good if you change sponsors. During competition you want the disc and muscle memory to do all the work because less variables is better. To create the muscle memory and keep your skills honed, you monkey with discs when you're not competing. It's about the difference between being able to hit your lines with that Teebird and being able to hit your lines with all your Teebirds/Teebird clones.

The pros can go to a factory and pick out a group of similar discs, cycle them, and pretty much have a group of near identical discs. A huge advantage for the touring pro. But sure.. I would guess in the off season they play some random rounds to fine tune their dynamic ability to adjust to various conditions, lines, etc. But once the season begins, it's back to the bread and butter discs.

The pros can go to a factory and pick out a group of similar discs, cycle them, and pretty much have a group of near identical discs. A huge advantage for the touring pro. But sure.. I would guess in the off season they play some random rounds to fine tune their dynamic ability to adjust to various conditions, lines, etc. But once the season begins, it's back to the bread and butter discs.
Even if you get a stack of the same discs from the same run, you can't get them all beat into the exact same level of wear and have 1:1 facsimiles. There's still an adjustment period when you're cycling. If you lose your most beat Roc, your next most-used Roc will still need some seasoning to replace it or your most beat Roc in your backup pile is still not going to be exactly the same. You'll have to learn the nuanced differences. Only the guys that regularly rotate putters do enough cycling to evenly distribute the seasoning across all their discs, and that's mostly just for putts, not throws.
that's a "problem" for less than 1% of 1% of PDGA members, let alone total disc golfers
I was responding to DiscFifty's rebuttal that was centered around sponsored players. So yeah, I'm referring to elite disc golfers (dealing with sponsorship changes is a larger percentage of PDGA members than 1% though, there are a lot of guys that are sponsored just for being good TDs, hype men, etc. and not necessarily b/c they're great players). What do you want from me, brah?

I like BrotherDave's answer here. Unless you "cycle" all your discs evenly they will all be in different states of wear or stability. I've never played in a tourney. Not my thing. I live in bumf*** nowhere WI. The majority of people on here aren't sponsored either. I've never had the opportunity to go to a factory and just pick up a stack of discs from the same run. Have any of you? I certainly haven't.

Yeah but all your cycled discs don't do you any good if you change sponsors.

Guessing that's why it doesn't happen that often and typically off season.

I was responding to DiscFifty's rebuttal that was centered around sponsored players. So yeah, I'm referring to elite disc golfers (dealing with sponsorship changes is a larger percentage of PDGA members than 1% though, there are a lot of guys that are sponsored just for being good TDs, hype men, etc. and not necessarily b/c they're great players). What do you want from me, brah?

I was just passing on information from various pros who comment on how they keep they bag (and backup bag) ready to go for tournament play and how important it was for them to have similar discs ready to go so they can have confidence in the disc if they lose a disc, etc, etc.

it's better than arguing on the internet. i must be getting old

Guessing that's why it doesn't happen that often and typically off season.

I was just passing on information from various pros who comment on how they keep they bag (and backup bag) ready to go for tournament play and how important it was for them to have similar discs ready to go so they can have confidence in the disc if they lose a disc, etc, etc.

One Azalea Fest tourney, Brian Schweberger drove down to Castle Hayne after accidentally leaving his bag at home. He literally walked around the course with a handful of random discs from his trunk. I think he was in 4th place after the 1st round before he found somebody that would lend him a bag and some more familiar discs.

I like BrotherDave's answer here. Unless you "cycle" all your discs evenly they will all be in different states of wear or stability. I've never played in a tourney. Not my thing. I live in bumf*** nowhere WI. The majority of people on here aren't sponsored either. I've never had the opportunity to go to a factory and just pick up a stack of discs from the same run. Have any of you? I certainly haven't.

No but I have got the exact same putter in color and weight that makes me think the discs were from the same run. I got two Champion Shark 3 same weight written on back that are same color and stamps are nearly the same color one being midnight Navy other just Navy making me think the molds are from the same run of disc in my bag. Also when getting my backup Impact discs 2-3 are the same color and Stamp at the right weight set to make me think they were from the very final ever Impact discs made where they were white with the University of Wisconsin Red. Some of the other Impact discs make me think the run is not the same as the rest due to the unique colors of the Stamp or how the stamp was not on very well on another. Stalker non flight number Backups I got by mistake thinking the Stalker was going oop some are from the same run as they have the same micro scarring to the disc from the molding process for all but one or two from at least a different stamping day as the stamp has a spot where the disc did not get stamped properly due to pealing.

So yeah on an occasion you can get discs online that are from the same run of discs especially if you buy more then one disc at a time.

One Azalea Fest tourney, Brian Schweberger drove down to Castle Hayne after accidentally leaving his bag at home. He literally walked around the course with a handful of random discs from his trunk. I think he was in 4th place after the 1st round before he found somebody that would lend him a bag and some more familiar discs.

Heard that before, very cool btw. Hey...cycling discs is one thing... cycling full bags is something totally different. lol..

When I first started playing I was buying every kind of disc that I could get my hands on and before I knew it I had 18 discs in the bag that were all different.Now I have learned to just use what I like and not think i have to buy everything i see

This is like telling a joke and not the punchline. How did he finish in the tourney?

It's not uncommon for super hip players to ask me what discs I throw after hitting a juicy fairway line. They almost always look disgusted when I say just a plain old dx teebird.

Simple orderly bags are the only way to go

DGA rift flies like a seasoned buzzz( aka roc) , and comes in amazing premium plastic. Glides for days, out on in any line

after playing long enough, you eventually realize that all discs pretty much fly the same.

And to expand this logic...
Throwing a different disc or brand won't make you a great disc golfer.
You still have to hit the line no matter what disc or brand you throw.

Latest posts