• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My DG vacation to Dallas starts in 1 hour.

sidewinding

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
When I get off today at 5:00 I'm driving 3.5 hours to my brothers house in Dallas. We plan to play 2 different courses per day for 6 days in a row. Any reccomendations or courses to avoid?

I hope everyone has a great week at work.

I haven't hit much in the Fort Worth area, but here's some highlights on the Dallas side.

Must plays: Coyote & Beaver in Cedar Hill. Harry Myers DGC in Rockwall. Bear Creek in Grapevine. Veteran's Park in Arlington (from what I hear). I'm a big fan of Alex Clark Memorial DGC up in McKinney and if you're heading up there, you may as well hit Shawnee Park in Plano, which is my "home" course.

Stay away from the UT Dallas Alumni park in Richardson, and W.O. Harrington in Irving. Last I knew, Audobon Park in SE Dallas was under construction, but who knows now. Get your rounds in before lunch, it's hot as hell here now. Up to 105! Good luck.

Bear CReek, The 2 Cedar hill courses, Bicentennial in Crowley, Jimmy porter and Greenbelt are right next to each other in Carrolton. All those are excellent courses.

Lake Lewisville Park and Greenbelt in Carrollton are good. Depending how far west you come u should hit Z-Boaz in west Fort Worth even if some of the water hazards have dried up. Also Bicentennial DGC in Crowley is good. You should post reviews on them would like to know what u think. But like jessepittman said you really should hit "Coyote & Beaver in Cedar Hill. Harry Myers DGC in Rockwall. Bear Creek in Grapevine"

In addition to magictenor1's list....ZBoaz in SW Fort Worth is a must.
Arcadia and North Park are cool also. Not quite as technical, but fun. Plus those 2 are only a few miles apart.

To group them in easy pairs per your plans, I'd suggest these 4 days. Your brother probably has some ideas for the Dallas area.

I'd definitely hit the two Cedar hill courses which are right next to each other for one of your days.

In South Fort Worth, I'd hit Bicentennial in Crowley and Z-boaz which are about 20 minutes apart. Two great course.

Then in Northeast Fort Worth I'd make a day of Arcadia and North Park as abrooks suggests. One is open and will test your distance, the other is in the trees and tests your aim.

You have to play Veterans which does not really have anything near it, but drive to, or from Bear Creek for the second round. Personally I'd do Bear Creek second, Veterans may wear you out a bit so Bear Creek gives you a chance to rest some. Two more of DFW's best.

And then pair a few of the North Dallas courses together to round out the best DFW has to offer.

Jlui has some great suggestions on geographic pairings. Up in North Dallas, courses aren't really as convenient to one another. If someone here can give you a current status on Audobon, I'd recommend pairing it with Harry Meyers in Rockwall -- it's probably the most convenient 18 near HM and it's a great course when the grass has been mowed (and a hellacious course when the grass is high). The other pairing to consider is the new Paschall Park in Mesquite; I haven't played it yet, but have heard some good things about it -- and we need some more reviews for that course on here, so it would be great to have your thoughts. The final option there is B.B.Owens, which is a decent little 18 -- fairly open, but some fun shots and just enough elevation to make it interesting; BBO also often has a lot of wind, which is a good thing, as it adds a lot of interest and challenge to the course.

Beyond that, the other Dallas courses are spread so far apart it's hard to conveniently hit two courses in a day. Of the remaining courses, my favorites are Alex Clark in McKinney and Lake Park in Lewisville -- but those are probably at least 45-60 minutes away from one another, though I think they've finished Hwy-121 enough that you could cut through on that and not be too bad off. Only problem is that traffic in Dallas on weekdays can be as bad as anywhere in the nation, so you want to avoid some of those areas like the plague in rush hour. So if I were you, I wouldn't end your trip with those two -- catch them together on one of your midday trips. Play Lewisville first, then head out to McKinney, and that should flow better from a traffic standpoint than the other way around.

IMHO, the best courses in the area are Harry Meyers, Veterans, Z-Boaz and the Cedar Hill courses. So just plan to save one of those four for your last day to end on a high note. The prettiest and most relaxing of those courses are the Cedar Hill courses -- they are not huge bomber courses, but are both very shady with pretty decent signage and some unique holes. Don't expect Cedar Hill to destroy you, but expect it to be the most enjoyable place in the city to spend a summer day golfing.

For sheer challenge, Z-Boaz and Harry Meyers are at the top, depending on where the pins are in the ground. Harry Meyers from the long tees can be demoralizing, depending on your skill level -- it's more fun from the short tees, and a better tournament course from the longs.

So quick recap, if I were planning your trip, and trying to balance courses for endurance, variety, challenge, etc... I'd plan it like this:

Day 1: Arcadia, North Park (warm-up day)
Day 2: Bicentennial, Z-Boaz (long day of challenging golf)
Day 3: Lake Lewisville Park, Alex Clark (rest-up)
Day 4: Veterans, Bear Creek
Day 5: TBD, Harry Meyers
Day 6: Coyote and Beaver at Cedar Hill

If you want to sneak a few extra courses in there, there are some fun 9-hole courses in the DFW area. I don't know exactly where you are staying, but if Fritz Park in Irving is on your way somewhere, it's got some great holes -- all flat, but relaxing and open under lots of large trees. Also, on the Lake Park/Alex Clark Day, I'd plan to stop between the two at Bill Allen Memorial Park in The Colony -- it's a short nine hole with several water hazards that is very picturesque. A couple of stellar holes, and some fun short ones. It's worth playing and won't tire you out. It's also next to a Hererra's, which is some of the best Tex/Mex you can get in the DFW area. Neither Bill Allen or Alex Clark will wear you out, so the Tex/Mex won't kill your game.

Also, when you finish off at Cedar Hill on day 6, coming back from there, a few miles away at Sam's Pizza, they have the best New York-style pizza I know of in the Metroplex. It's a great place to rest and replenish your carbs/salt after a long week of disc golf. The last time I played Cedar Hill, my brother and I got in four rounds of all 36 holes and finished off the day at Sam's and it was wonderful.

Have a great time with your brother -- some great golf to be had there.

I would group Greenbelt and Lake Lewisville on one day. Greenbelt has a long walk to it and some sun, but has a lot of open throws across/beside the water hazzards. Bring a pole and play first in the morning or late evening. Lewisville has a lot of shade/trees, so you should be good there anytime of day. On a side note, Jimmy Porter is just a couple miles from Greenbelt but is closed due to park re-construction.

I would definitly also try to go to Mesquite's Paschall park. Very, very nice new course. Has double tee's and new everything. Very well marked. And has good shade.

Must plays in DFW

Veterans in Arlington, Z-Boaz in Fort Worth, Bear Creek in Grapevine, both Cedar Hill courses, Lake Lewisville, and Alex Clark in McKinney are all great! If you have time to go out to Rockwall, it is supposed to be really great too...haven't gotten to play it myself yet.

You can't add much to all those suggestions. They gave you the best of what we have to offer hands down! My favorite courses of the ones I have played are Harry Myers in Rockwall, Veterans, ZBoaz, Bear Creek in Grapevine, Arcadia, and North Park too.

Lewisville then Sneaky Petes!

I should have mentioned this earlier, if you go to Lewisville go to Sneaky Petes for lunch. Its a cool marina to hang out at and have lunch. Just take the next exit North from the course. When you get there walk through the place all the way outside and past the pool. Have lunch at the gazibo right by the water and relax. Lots of eye candy out there!

When you finish off Bear Creek, head to Esparza's in Grapevine, on Worth, right off of main street. It's a family owned mexican restaurant built out of an old house. It's pretty darn amazing.

When you finish off Bear Creek, head to Esparza's in Grapevine, on Worth, right off of main street. It's a family owned mexican restaurant built out of an old house. It's pretty darn amazing.

I'll second that endorsement. I lived in the D/FW area for years, and Esparza's is in easily in my top five favorite Tex/Mex places in the area -- and that's saying a lot.

Other greats are Joe T. Garcia's near the stockyards in Fort Worth (not too far from Arcadia/North Park, and an amazing, memorable place); Hererra's (local chain, but all of them are good -- the bean soup is amazing and if you catch it on the right day, the hottest salsa in the city); Javier's in Dallas off McKinney Avenue (upscale Mexico City cuisine -- a little pricier, but totally worth it); and Avila's in Dallas on Maple Ave. (in an area with dozens of little hole-in-the-wall tex/mex places, this is the best. Amazingly high quality ingredients and a friendly staff).

Hope your trip is going well -- report out when you get back.

I think there is a new park in the making in Fort Worth area. It is on I-30 and Beach at Gateway Park.
I don't know when it will be ready, but I hope it will be a 18 hole course.

So Sidewinding..... How did the vacation go??????? What courses did you visit?

Veteran's Park
Alex Clark Memorial
Harry Myers
Lake Lewisville
Leonard L Woods
BB Owen
Shawnee
Bethany Lakes
UT Dallas
Bill Allen Memorial
and the two in Carrolton

I just spent another 5 day weekend up there and played:
Bear Creek
Fritz
Paschall
DeBusk
Springfield
Leonard l. Woods again
Alex Clark again

Of all the courses in the metroplex I was most impressed by Fritz Park with Alex Clark a close runner up.

Latest posts