• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My journey to 450feet consistently. Help!

Hello :)

I'm back with a new review and have a couple of questions.

I've been fooling around with a hammer, mostly to have the disc farther away from my upperbody and to get more space in my powerpocket. I can't tell I get particularly more space in my pocket. I also feel I'm opening up earlier and not getting as deep in my pocket? I do suspect I get the disc more behind me when I'm trying to mimic the hammer throw?

Standstill:
This is what I normally do when I throw.
This is me throwing a hammer, I'm trying to have the disc and hammer far away from my upperbody.

Run-up:

This is what I normally do when I throw, or have been for 2 weeks.
This is me trying to have the disc far away from my body.

Notes:
I can tell I'm opening early because of my head, I don't know what is causing this however????? It might be because the disc is getting more behind me in comparison, because the disc is lightweight in comparison to a hammer? Perhaps the hammer drill is not about getting deep in pocket, but have space for the disc to travel?

Throwing a couple of shots in an open field. I'm not focusing on the hammer drill here. Just doing normal me.
I had on throw that barely touched my left nipple:*

Side-by-side comparison. I had on that barely touched my left nipple and the other one didn't

Opinons?

Is the hammer drill about creating space for the disc to travel pass my upperbody and not getting deep into pocket?

You have very little shoulder turn/coil.
screen-shot-2024-05-02-at-10-03-43-pm-png.338999

Note how far you are leaning over your toes, so you aren't creating much space to swing thru, you are moving your body into the power pocket. Note how Paul is centered on his ankle and body countering behind toes more like olympic hammer thrower. Your body is not countering to the opposite side of the swing.
Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 10.09.55 PM.png
Focus on this part starting around 4min.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 10.03.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 10.03.43 PM.png
    530.9 KB · Views: 32
First off, I thought being nose over toe was creating more space, but I assume it's not the case in my situation as my upper body is falling over the disc?

In the video you posted, I assume you were referring to the part you talked about taking a shorter final step?

I tried a couple of things:

- I tried taking a wider first step (step before x-step)
- I tried to have my upper body more upright, but it didn't seem right. My back tells I'm about to throw an anhyzer, but instead I'm throwing about 10-15 degrees hyzer.
- I tried to plant more out from my body, similar to Lizotte and I find this to be the best. It seems like I'm able to be a bit more similar to McBeth in your photo.

Sideview - Trying to plant more out from body
Backview - Trying to plant more out from my body

IMG_1642.jpg
Comparison to my last session, a bit less nose over toe.

Comparison to my last session - Side by side

Looking better?

Re Nose over toes - I like to think of having my whole body stay to the left of my toes inside posture (Inside Swing Drill), while the lower arm/disc swings inside-outside. You had your whole head out over your toes banging thru the wall in Inside Swing Drill. You can do head out over your toes but your rear foot needs to counter further behind your heel.

Doesn't look like you focused on where the power of posture vid is timestamped at 4m12s. The x-step isn't really helping you get the proper sequence as you try to do everything too early before you get in front of your rear foot. And your posture still kills me, you are landing very flat footed on both feet and raising both your elbows way high going into the x-step. Simon keeps his elbows much lower closer to his hips during the x-step.

Your first move or leg kick back is really awkward. You are mostly just moving your leg/foot independent of the rest of your body. When a pitcher does the leg kick back it winds up the whole body. It should be more like a normal soccer kick away from target.

You are turning back early/before you land the left foot xstep and so your disc gets too far behind you/peaks backswing early, and start accelerating everything forward early before you plant. If you were doing Door Frame/Bow Arrow Drills, you would be stuck in the drills way before you could plant your front foot, and your rear foot would be too far north of the door frame.

Video the drills.

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 10.23.49 PM.png

Latest posts