• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

I tried the top loaded cage with space at the bottom set up yesterday and I'm not a fan so far. The bag fell off my stool regularly, and the discs popped out a few times. Weather conditions were pretty bad though, so I'll give it another chance, but based on my experience so far, I'll likely go back to the bottom loaded cage.

Although, the lower pocket holds putters better than the top pocket, but I don't think that's enough reason for me to stick with the top loaded. Besides, the set up I normally use is to put 3 or 4 of my most used discs in the top pocket and secure it with an elastic cord. With that set up, I only go into the bag for about 50% of shots. Sometimes much less, depending on the course. Much more secure and functional that way since the entire top of the bag is free for storage.

I've never been too keen on the top load idea but some people really seem to like it.

Although, the lower pocket holds putters better than the top pocket, but I don't think that's enough reason for me to stick with the top loaded. Besides, the set up I normally use is to put 3 or 4 of my most used discs in the top pocket and secure it with an elastic cord. With that set up, I only go into the bag for about 50% of shots. Sometimes much less, depending on the course. Much more secure and functional that way since the entire top of the bag is free for storage.

I put my main driver and putter in the top pocket and haven't had a problem thus far.

The bag has been great and I've been punishing it pretty good with some winter disc in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Not that I'm ready to buy one...

It's sold out :doh:

Cabela's XPG® Pro Series™ Angler Pack

Item: IK-125063
Sold Out

Now that I'm ready to buy one...

It's sold out :doh:

Cabela's XPG® Pro Series™ Angler Pack

Item: IK-125063
Sold Out

^you have to call individual stores to see if they have any left - some still do and will ship. Some stores may not have them but depending on the sales help, will check to tell you which other stores still show them in stock. Chances seem to be better in stores out west (trout fishing areas).

^you have to call individual stores to see if they have any left - some still do and will ship. Some stores may not have them but depending on the sales help, will check to tell you which other stores still show them in stock. Chances seem to be better in stores out west (trout fishing areas).

Thx amigo, appreciate the info!

has anyone thought about trying it with this
http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Tackle-...=UTF8&colid=HGHTDJIUYE9O&coliid=I19ZUR9C7WTEQ
i kind of want to but i dont know if it would work? im looking for a new bag and was hoping to do the cabelas one until they sold out and since im in socal and i dont have a cabelas near me any ideas?

I called the store in Wichita yesterday (316-854-3130) since they had 2 and it is already on its way to South Carolina. The Boise store has 2 in stock as well as the 'Hazelwood' store but not sure where that one is.

^ this. Get on the phone, and call a store. Unless they're busy at the moment, they'll help you find one. I'm not saying you can't use a different backpack, but if you're ordering one online, how do you know how well it'll adapt to DG? Do you wanna spend $50 to find out it doen't really work that well? And what about construction, durability? It's a different story if you can see it, touch it feel it and see how discs fit into it in person, but to order based on pix and dimensions and hopes seems kind risky to me.

This thread contains countless (well I suppose you could count them) pix showing numerous ways discs fit into the Cabela bag, as well as unsolicited** testamonials and critcisms from people who've already used the in actual rounds. On a more personal level, I wouldn't post in this thread so many times if I weren't so happy with mine. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but you can't deny this thread contains a lot of solid evidence that the Cabela bag is a sound purchase for DG.

If you're looking for a backpack bag, your choices pretty much boil down to:
a) Spend $200 on a DG specific bag.
b) Take a chance on something other backpack and hope it works out OK.
c) Make a few phone calls and see if you can find something that you pretty much know will work, and that you can probably sell in the MP at minimal loss if you don't like it.

Your move... :|

* The opinions stated herein do not reflect those of DGCR, Cabelas, Lowes, Plasti-Dip, or their subsidiaries.
** Cabelas hired me as a paid spokesperson to promote their products for alternative uses. :p :rolleyes:

Last edited:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11419314

This is in stock at my local Dick's. I will be fondling it within a few days (big blizzard rolling in today). Might be a solid new alternative. It certainly looks preety damn cool.

The fact is, the Cabela's bags are no longer being made. There will be a time when calling and hunting them down will no longer work. There's a finite supply out there, and it's getting smaller daily. The DIY crowd will either find a new "flagship" bag to promote, or it will splinter off into a half dozen regular options.

Last edited:
The fact is, the Cabela's bags are no longer being made. There will be a time when calling and hunting them down will no longer work. There's a finite supply out there, and it's getting smaller daily. The DIY crowd will either find a new "flagship" bag to promote, or it will splinter off into a half dozen regular options.

The Academy H2O bag works very well for this. I made one, but just don't like backpacks as it turns out, and have gone to an Innova Deluxe. I guess I should sell mine. Anyway, here's the thread on the H2O,

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75417

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11419314

This is in stock at my local Dick's. I will be fondling it within a few days (big blizzard rolling in today). Might be a solid new alternative. It certainly looks preety damn cool.

I looked at this bag a few months ago, and Just didn't feel it was up to par for me. It looks very cool though, but i didn't like the "divider" between sections at all. It is just velcro that doesn't really lock into a use able position to separate the upper storage from lower discs.

All IMHO, but I passed it up to save up for a designed DG bag, or at least a better DIY solution.

I looked at this bag a few months ago, and Just didn't feel it was up to par for me. It looks very cool though, but i didn't like the "divider" between sections at all. It is just velcro that doesn't really lock into a use able position to separate the upper storage from lower discs.

All IMHO, but I passed it up to save up for a designed DG bag, or at least a better DIY solution.

Yeah, I'm interested to see how the depth fits discs. Luckily the Dick's they are at also carries Innova, so I'll probably just grab and handful and start jamming them in, lol. I'd build a frame anyways, so the velcro dividers can always be reinforced with corrugated plastic or something.

I'm curious to see this "middle cooler compartment" it describes. The bag itself looks to be more in line with the Revo or Flak design function than Cabela's matching the Grip function.

Yeah, I'm interested to see how the depth fits discs. Luckily the Dick's they are at also carries Innova, so I'll probably just grab and handful and start jamming them in, lol. I'd build a frame anyways, so the velcro dividers can always be reinforced with corrugated plastic or something.

I'm curious to see this "middle cooler compartment" it describes. The bag itself looks to be more in line with the Revo or Flak design function than Cabela's matching the Grip function.

let me know how it goes i would like to try it if it works well for you

So I went to Dick's today and fondled up one of the Spiderwire Utility backpacks. The findings were...mixed. The short answer is it can certainly work. But not quite as well as Cabela's for one simple reason; depth. It's roughly an inch and a half shallower from front to back. The discs do fit, although they poke out from the front opening. If it's an option someone is looking at, they would need to build a PVC frame that would be geared towards preventing the discs from just rolling out the front. Possible, but tricky. I'll get into it a bit more below.

Pros:

Lots of pockets, loops, storage.
Straps are amazing, well padded back, waist straps too.
Man, the bag just looks cool.

Cons:

Depth, only a little over 7" deep.
No workable bottle holder.
NEEDS a frame. Unlike the Cabela's where it's just a bonus to function.

Now, I'd have to buy one and mess around to find a truly workable solution. But I've built enough PVC frames to have an idea of where to start. My best guess would be to use an uneven 3-way elbow. 1/2" connections for two of them, and 3/4" (or maybe even 1") for one so you can make a thicker bar across the bottom front.

Additionally, the "3 compartment" option isn't going to work. The only way is a double storage set-up like the Cabela's. I also didn't see anyway to make a top-load option work for the Spiderwire. The top putter-area can fit 2-3 putters and also includes some extra zippered pockets that are good for pencils, cards, etc. I also like that the sides of the top pocket have a mesh web so it can only open so far. That allows us to keep it completely unzipped and the putters wouldn't flop out.

It has a reinforced pocket on the front like the Cabelas for sunglasses, phone, or whatever. But unlike the Cabelas, you would not be able to remove this without leaving a big hole on the front. The top compartment is right around the same size as the Cabela's for added storage.

I could fit 20 discs in the bottom without a frame. I'd expect that to be somewhere in the 16-17 range with a 1/2" frame built in there good and tight. The bag may even stretch the depth out another 1/2" with a frame pushing the material. Don't quote me on that, though.

Again, the padding and straps on this bag are amazing. Adjustable sternum strap, waist strap with padded oblique tabs, breathable mesh padding on the back. It's one of the few things I think this has over the Cabela's model.

The other big thing is the aesthetics. That's a personal thing, of course. But I think it looks far better than the Cabela's. It has some cool spiderweb fabric accents, machine-looking spiders embroidered on, and the black/grey outer contrasts sharply with the blood-red inside. It's definitely a sharp looking bag.

Right now it's a touch pricier than what we're used to. It's $70 plus about $8 shipping if your local Dick's doesn't carry it. Which is technically where the Cabela's was priced at normally, but that went on sale for $50 so often people just judge it by that price point. If I can find a 20% coupon or anyway to knock $10 or $20 off the price I will nab it and go into full-on tinker mode. But my initial observations are that it's a cool, useable bag that might not function QUITE up to the Cabela's standard. But with the Cabela's getting harder and harder to find, we may never find another option as good.

I snapped some pics to consider.

Attachments

• WP_001097.jpg
    WP_001097.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 123
  • WP_001099.jpg
    WP_001099.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 90
  • WP_001101.jpg
    WP_001101.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I have a Cabellas bag if anyone is interested in it. Black/Green coloration. It was used for fishing maybe about 10 times. If anyone in the San Diego area wants it PM me. Free to a good home.

^ this. Get on the phone, and call a store. Unless they're busy at the moment, they'll help you find one. I'm not saying you can't use a different backpack, but if you're ordering one online, how do you know how well it'll adapt to DG? Do you wanna spend $50 to find out it doen't really work that well? And what about construction, durability? It's a different story if you can see it, touch it feel it and see how discs fit into it in person, but to order based on pix and dimensions and hopes seems kind risky to me.

This thread contains countless (well I suppose you could count them) pix showing numerous ways discs fit into the Cabela bag, as well as unsolicited** testamonials and critcisms from people who've already used the in actual rounds. On a more personal level, I wouldn't post in this thread so many times if I weren't so happy with mine. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but you can't deny this thread contains a lot of solid evidence that the Cabela bag is a sound purchase for DG.

If you're looking for a backpack bag, your choices pretty much boil down to:
a) Spend $200 on a DG specific bag.
b) Take a chance on something other backpack and hope it works out OK.
c) Make a few phone calls and see if you can find something that you pretty much know will work, and that you can probably sell in the MP at minimal loss if you don't like it.

Your move... :|

* The opinions stated herein do not reflect those of DGCR, Cabelas, Lowes, Plasti-Dip, or their subsidiaries.
** Cabelas hired me as a paid spokesperson to promote their products for alternative uses. :p :rolleyes:

This is awesome. :hfive:

Latest posts