• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NC courses near Greensboro

From the courses I have played in the area I would say your best bet are the two courses in Burlington. They are both on the same property and both contrast each other really well with one being very wooded and the other being very open. Horizons in Winston-Salem isn't bad, but it doesn't really offer any challenge other then seeing how far under you can get as every hole is reachable.

Cedarock in Burlington
UNC in Chapel Hill
Valley Springs in Durham

I've played Johnson St Park in High Point once and enjoyed it.

I haven't played Lake's Edge in Reidsville yet, but it looks good.

Cedarock and Wellspring are your closest best bets for club and steady play I think. UNC Chapel Hill is lots of fun but a bit far if you'll be near Winston Salem. Johnson St in High Point is great (Solely for DG) Lake's Edge in Reidsville is freaking gorgeous, very nice park.

The only course in Greensboro (for now) is Barber park and it is not the greatest (bad neighborhood, poor shot variety) but it is 18 holes of disc golf.

Last edited:
From the courses I have played in the area I would say your best bet are the two courses in Burlington. They are both on the same property and both contrast each other really well with one being very wooded and the other being very open. Horizons in Winston-Salem isn't bad, but it doesn't really offer any challenge other then seeing how far under you can get as every hole is reachable.

Horizons is also a great place to bring new players, it'll be challenging for them without any chance of lost discs, and it is much better to learn on than a wide open pitch n putt. You are correct though that it gets boring pretty quickly for experienced players.

They've all been named and decently spoken of on here. Johnson Street is amazing though. Cedarock and Wellspring are both solid courses too, but the best course in the area is Johnson Street, IMO. 3 sets of tees, all of which are a good test of skill. It's just a great place to play. I would say that it is the best of the courses named, with a close second being Cedarock and Wellspring. However, If I had the choice to play at one venue, I would go to Cedarock and Wellspring because there are two courses at the same place. there are a lot of great courses in the area, but none of them are really close to each other except for those two.

There is also North Asheboro Park DGC, which is an easier course, but it is well worth a visit. It's the closest course to my house, so PM me if you move here before I head back to college in late August.

Speaking of doubles and weeklies, Barber Park has doubles every Thursday night. I think Johnson Street has it on Tuesdays. There are bulletin boards at Johnson St. with listings for about everything. The guys that run the weeklies and most of the tournaments generally live near Johnson St. (or Reidsville).

Ryan P. nailed it. Along with those there are private courses in Burlington, Winston-Salem and Thomasville. Can't speak for the one in T-ville...the other 2 are cool. The homegrown tour is rolling to the one in Winston Aug 9th.

hey guys, thanks again. ill be playing quite a bit once i move in august and this is a huge help. i think cedarock and wellspring are about a 30 minute drive for me, and barber park is about 10. as of now, i drive about 45 minutes to an hour to play a 'good' course, so i will be more than willing to make the trip.

Let me just lay it out there for you the best I know how. I'm from this area so technically I guess I should know what I'm talking about. Johnson Street is the stuff, anyone that says differently is wrong, I would put cedarock up there but because of the different layouts you never know what you're going to see. Creekside in Archdale is going to be finished soon so that could give you a second course near johnson street if you wanted to make a day out of it or just play all 3 layouts at johnson. North Asheboro is my home course and is a very solid and balanced course. There are several private courses in yadkinville and they have a prety decent club up there. Horizons is a joke, I wouldn't go there by myself or when there is not some sort of competition. Charlotte has 5 great courses (and adding) and from Greensboro it's not that bad of a ride. Barber park is rough, and not easy to play by yourself. Reidsville will beat you up, also not a course I would advise to play alone your first time, though the map you get will definitely help you out.

Now as to doubles and weeklies. Ryan is pretty much totally off, sorry. Johnson street plays singles every tuesday at 6, then doubles on sundays (I believe at 2). Barber park plays singles on the first 3 thursdays of the month and doubles on the last. Horizons alternates thursday and saturday every week. The best place to find out about Horizons, Reidsville, and Yadkinville is at triaddiscgolf.com.
Welcome to the area, soon enough that is.

Let me just lay it out there for you the best I know how. I'm from this area so technically I guess I should know what I'm talking about. Johnson Street is the stuff, anyone that says differently is wrong, I would put cedarock up there but because of the different layouts you never know what you're going to see. Creekside in Archdale is going to be finished soon so that could give you a second course near johnson street if you wanted to make a day out of it or just play all 3 layouts at johnson. North Asheboro is my home course and is a very solid and balanced course. There are several private courses in yadkinville and they have a prety decent club up there. Horizons is a joke, I wouldn't go there by myself or when there is not some sort of competition. Charlotte has 5 great courses (and adding) and from Greensboro it's not that bad of a ride. Barber park is rough, and not easy to play by yourself. Reidsville will beat you up, also not a course I would advise to play alone your first time, though the map you get will definitely help you out.

Now as to doubles and weeklies. Ryan is pretty much totally off, sorry. Johnson street plays singles every tuesday at 6, then doubles on sundays (I believe at 2). Barber park plays singles on the first 3 thursdays of the month and doubles on the last. Horizons alternates thursday and saturday every week. The best place to find out about Horizons, Reidsville, and Yadkinville is at triaddiscgolf.com.
Welcome to the area, soon enough that is.

You're such a jerk face.

Yeah. Do you really need to have a better comeback than I do for everything?

Johnson st. is not all that and a bag of chips, I'm sorry. Mostly because it gets super swampy and with these late afternoon t storms rolling through that aint a good thing. But it does offer everything else and is a must play.

if you go east a little bit there is a lot of good disc golf

I think brother dave mentioned a couple of these already

Chapel Hill - UNC DGC is awesome, and down the road there's a new course called Dogwoods, it's good but still rough
Carrboro- Anderson dgc, I have not played it
Durham - Valley Springs is an awesome course, Cornwallis rd DGC is ok, but a few of the baskets are near other holes, like for example there is a pin about 20 from another fairway and finally, Leigh Farm is another new course that's pretty good, but still rough
New Hill- Buckhorn, it's at a nuclear power plant and there's 3 big water holes,
Raleigh has Cedar Hills which is great and also my home course and Kentwood, which is good for what it is, a pitch and putt.
Cary has another new course called Middle Creek and it's also pretty good but still a little rough(concrete tees are going in)

Welcome to the state, and if you're coming to my neck of the woods give me a shout as I'm always down to play.

Fox Chase in Albemarle is just out of the 50 mile zone you asked for, but it is better (by far, IMO) than any of the other listed.

Pretty much agree with what everyone has mentioned. Yes, take the trip to Fox Chase. Be prepared for a workout though. Avoid Beth Schmidt though, unless you happen to be 10 years old or under. Oh, while I am at it, what's up fellow DGers? Glad to be on the board!

Nice to meet you Mr. Griplock. You'll enjoy the good discussions on here. and the sarcasm.

Fox Chase is also a great course-I just got back from the beating it gave me yesterday. I haven't played a ton of courses, but playing from the long tees there is by far the hardest course I have ever played.

As for Johnson Street, yeah, it can get really messy on about 1/3 of the land after it rains. They've done a lot for the course though, putting down a ton of mulch, and they did build the course right beside a deep stream. You would think that the water would collect in the stream bed, but it just seeps to seep into the dirt right in the middle of some fairways. However, if you play this course when it hasn't rained for a couple of days, I think it is the bomb. I've played every tee and every basket on the course, and it's just a solid course. You can play from the white tees to have a lot of fun with a little challenge. Or you can pick the blue tees for some fun and challenge. There's also the gold tees with some ridiculous challenges that still offers some fun. The holes on this course are varied. I know you'll end up playing all three of the really good courses near Greensboro (Johnson St., Cedarock, and Wellspring) and you can then decide for yourself. But every time I play Johnson St., I leave wanting to play 10 more rounds there. Most of the time, the tees have different approaches-they're not just stacked one behind another like a lot of courses. They will place one, and then move back and go to the left 40', and then move further back and go to the right 100'. It's almost like you are playing 2 completely different courses when you change tees.

I'm just ranting now, but Johnson St. is just a solid course. No loser holes without trees and elevation changes. No stupid pin placements. just a good course.

Latest posts