• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New California courses update thread

lion

I'm feeling frisky.
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So Cali needs a thread that people can post in when they know of new courses opening or in the works or just heard about proposals.

Here are a couple I have heard or read, common, but hopefully more people can post more info.

Lang Ranch in Thousand Oaks

McClatchy Park in Sacramento (opening soon)

Miners Point in Junction City ( just about done, a few weeks away)

Feeney Park in Murphy's ( just finished, I will take pictures this weekend)

Gibson Ranch regional park, ( epic course in temp setup, we just need updates on how the fundraising is going)

Yucaipa Back 18 hole course in Yucaipa ( fences and some property issues have delayed this, course is approved. Looking for late 2013 installation)

Half Moon Bay has a proposal in for a new course and map layout on there club page.

Bean Creek in Scott's Valley has been laid out ( had a few problems over certain areas of land. Hoping for spring-summer 2013 install

Jewett Park in Arvin ( Bakersfield suburb, park is being built with a 9 hole course. Map of layout is done and its been long approved.

Walnut Creek (current DGCR member is working on this course)

Fiddyment park in Roseville (we need a follow up to see if the course that was approved there will ever go in. Last update I knew of was 2 years ago. A lot of delay because of funds and land rights issues.)

Anna Jean Cummings park in Soquel has a proposal in and the local disc golfers are fighting for a course along with the local high school pushing for it.

McLaren park in San Francisco ( I saw a new course layout was sent to the city after a few we're rejected or weren't good for some locals against disc golf. Project has been gaining ground lately. Started in 2007ish

So those are a few I could think of, please post more or give details on any you know of.

That is a great list. I am close to Anna Jean Cummings (Blue Ball Park), Bean Creek and Half Moon Bay. I hope to hear about updates so that I can volunteer some of my time to help with install if needed, also excited to hear about the others. It is always nice to have new courses to switch things up a bit.

I heard that the college of the redwoods in crescent city will have a disc golf course opening next year and near by in Brookings, the community college there will open a course within the next two years.

CR Crescent City has had a lot of issues trying to put in a course there. One of the teachers there was / is very much against it. They had a couple of tone poles in a while ago. I had a friend that was living near there, and when I went to see him, I saw the tones. I called my buddy Ron there in CC and he told me the story on it. That there were only a few tone poles as a remnant of what they had tried to put in. He said they were still trying to work on it, and that the teacher who was so against it, was supposed to be retiring soon. Hopefully he has retired and now they are getting the course in.

We got a local ski resort(no name until next spring) to put a course in next springs budget. According to Getty( nor cal course designer) it has potential to be Tahoes best course. I will update as info changes. I'm very excited about this and the main person in charge at this resort is all for it.

Last edited:
We got a local ski resort(no name until next spring) to put a course in next springs budget. According to Getty( nor cal course designer) it has potential to be Tahoes best course. I will update as info changes.

Nice to hear. Getty is a great course designer. I can't wait. Love me some Tahoe golf, and a new best is something to look forward to.

McLaren Park isn't happening any time soon. There'll be a new course at China Peak (huntington lake east of fresno) by next summer that is apparently going to be an epic 27 holer.

I talk to Ron today and he gave me the update about both universities. He said work on the Redwood college course would start this year. So that's exciting and he said that Brooking has an agreement already in place. Should be nice additions to the area.

CR Crescent City has had a lot of issues trying to put in a course there. One of the teachers there was / is very much against it. They had a couple of tone poles in a while ago. I had a friend that was living near there, and when I went to see him, I saw the tones. I called my buddy Ron there in CC and he told me the story on it. That there were only a few tone poles as a remnant of what they had tried to put in. He said they were still trying to work on it, and that the teacher who was so against it, was supposed to be retiring soon. Hopefully he has retired and now they are getting the course in.

Fresno, that's new. Is there a club page or anywhere to get more info on this one?

McLaren Park isn't happening any time soon. There'll be a new course at China Peak (huntington lake east of fresno) by next summer that is apparently going to be an epic 27 holer.

There was talk and a bit of momentum for putting in an 18 hole course in Martinez, CA a couple years ago. I spoke with the guy spearheading it, but he ran out of time/energy, so not sure what's happening. It's great terrain in Hidden Lakes park, about 15 minutes from where I live in Benicia. Hoping to have more time next year to dig in and try to make it happen. More info:

http://www.martinezgazette.com/inde...lf-ideas-fly-at-prmcc&catid=46:news&Itemid=81

Tim S.

Any info on the course in Thousand Oaks? Is it on here? It's in my range and like to know more about it?

Craig Getty is designing that course also. He laid the flags for it a couple of weeks ago.

Yep. Craig, and Ross & Leonard (who designed golden gate park and are all friends of mine). Ross wanted me to come out there to help but I was too busy with Lake Sonoma and life. But he set the bar pretty high...will be a pay to play mountain course with a lift ride. But with 27 holes and several par 4s and 5s it should be worth your while. I love craigs courses and ross & leonard also know what they're doing, so I'm looking forward to it.

So I added three courses to the directory today and will add one more tomorrow.

Feeney Park in Murphy's 18 holes (9 basket Mach 5's and 9 tone)

Jenness Park in Cold Springs 9 Holes (9 baskets Mach 2's)

Camp Hi-Sierra in Long Barn 9 holes (9 tone poles)

Ok added another course in Cali,

Triumphant Life Camp DGC in Bridgeville (9 holes with new Mach 2's)

a lot of these seem to be norcal. any new ones near ventura area? besides the thousand oaks one?

I did add the 32 hole course in Santa Paula last month, the one at point mugu, and the one at forest home. All three of these are near Ventura. That was last month. I was in Norcal this past weekend so I added these courses since I played them. I guess I can do some research and see if I can find anymore out near you.

Just saw this for Yucca Valley here in SOCAL

http://www.yucca-valley.org/departments/southside.html

Looks like the park is being built right now and a frisbee golf course is scheduled to be included. Lets hope its a disc golf course and someone with knowledge designs it.

Fresno, that's new. Is there a club page or anywhere to get more info on this one?

This was posted on the fresnodiscgolf yahoo groups -

"The China Peak disc golf course will be a go, as long as there is a good ski season and
they make money. It is the intent of the ski park to install an 18 hole course. The 9 holes that will make it a 27 hole course will be installed through as yet uncollected donations, or sponsorships. "We have work to do" to raise money for the extra 9 holes.

I am working with Ross to bring a PDGA sanctioned event to China Peak, looking at a late summer date, all this is still in the planning stages. We do not need to do a "chatter campaign" to make the owners sure about installing the course. They are already pleased with the attention the new course has received and committed to putting the course in.

The installation of the course will be done by our local volunteers. When we are ready for bodies, we will put out the call from Modesto to Tulare for players willing to help. This is a valley wide addition to out disc golf opportunities, it does not happen without the hard work of committed individuals."

Also here is a shot of the proposed Hole 11 - 945 ft

hole11945ft.jpg

Here is the page for the course going in Arvin near Bakersfield

http://www.arvin.org/parks.html

If you look at the map you can see the disc golf holes laid out.

Latest posts