• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New California courses update thread

Hello from Colorado! I am planning a disc golfing road trip to California this October. I was wondering how easily accessible the road to Birds of Paradise is. I've heard you need a SUV or truck to get there. Any truth to this? Would a Subaru Imprezza get up this road?

I've been there 4 times with a Prius. Your Imprezza will have no issues. Just drive smart and weave around the big potholes. Make sure you get in touch with Caleb (birds) beforehand. It is private course playable by appointment only.

And is it pretty easy to get a reservation? Just call ahead?

Call as far ahead as you can, and don't be disappointed if you can't get in. Caleb lives over an hour away from the course and is a busy family man so advanced appointments (weeks if possible) are necessary. Also, October is not be the best time of the year to try to play there. BOP is my #1 favorite course and I hope you can get in, but don't get your hopes up too high.

Call as far ahead as you can, and don't be disappointed if you can't get in. Caleb lives over an hour away from the course and is a busy family man so advanced appointments (weeks if possible) are necessary. Also, October is not be the best time of the year to try to play there. BOP is my #1 favorite course and I hope you can get in, but don't get your hopes up too high.

Thanks for all the info!

New mountain course in mi wuk village off highway 108 called 3 links disc golf. Looks raw but also really fun and technical!

I live in Arcata as well. I don't have access to BOP, but if you can't get in to play BOP I might be able to show you some of our other great courses.

Much appreciated! I might take you up on that either way.

New mountain course in mi wuk village off highway 108 called 3 links disc golf. Looks raw but also really fun and technical!

It's really fun, but still a work in progress. Course has been open less than a week so far, but they have all 18 baskets installed now (when I played it they didn't.) My dad, cobraguy16, has been one of the main guys helping to do the work putting in the course. There is a $3 fee to play that goes to the International Order of Odd Fellows that owns and maintains the camp where the course is. Great amenities for reasonable camping on site -- tent camping, full RV hookups, bathrooms, showers, swimming pool etc. if you're making your way up 108 towards Sonora or Pinecrest definitely go check it out.

Played Sunrise DGC in citrus heights recently, and noticed newly installed large concrete tee pads on the wooded holes (not the ones on the golf greens).

It's really fun, but still a work in progress. Course has been open less than a week so far, but they have all 18 baskets installed now (when I played it they didn't.) My dad, cobraguy16, has been one of the main guys helping to do the work putting in the course. There is a $3 fee to play that goes to the International Order of Odd Fellows that owns and maintains the camp where the course is. Great amenities for reasonable camping on site -- tent camping, full RV hookups, bathrooms, showers, swimming pool etc. if you're making your way up 108 towards Sonora or Pinecrest definitely go check it out.

Will definitely make the trip. Sounds like a blast!

Emerald Hills Golf Course in redwood city has approved the addition of disc golf to the golf course. It's a short par 3 golf course, which means to get 18 in you'll need to go around twice. There will be two different colored baskets and tees per each golf hole. The site has great elevation change, some water carries (more when we actually have water), greens, bunker, and paved areas will be OB. It's a pay to play but having played it once, it will be a whole heckuva lotta fun. Par will probably be in the 56-58 range.

heard Beaumont, CA will be getting a new course this year

Saw a post on Facebook that referenced a possible new course in Folsom. Anyone have any info on this?

There has been talk of a course in Folsom for at least 10 years. I stopped holding out for one long ago. Not saying i don't want one just that the Folsom community does not seem to want DG in their community.

Was the post talking about needing one or that the wheels are rolling on one?

Last edited:
There has been talk of a course in Folsom for at least 10 years. I stopped holding out for one long ago. Not saying i don't want one just that the Folsom community does not seem to want DG in their community.

Was the post talking about needing one or that the wheels are rolling on one?

The Sacramento area definitely needs more courses. There are a few bunk 9 holers and then shady gets over run with people, Rocklin gets over run, then sunrise can kinda be a pain because you have to schedule a tee time and it costs money. Wish there was at least one more quality 18er around sac.

The Sacramento area definitely needs more courses. There are a few bunk 9 holers and then shady gets over run with people, Rocklin gets over run, then sunrise can kinda be a pain because you have to schedule a tee time and it costs money. Wish there was at least one more quality 18er around sac.

I agree. Although John Mackey & Carmichael are fair for 9hole courses more so mackey. I am bias twards Carmichael cause i helped install with one other person the posts for the tee areas before the concrete tees were out there.

As for the other 9 hole courses i only played Elk Grove parks course and oh boy was that a joke.

Yes we need at least one other good 18 hole course in the sac area. But where is there land that a course can be placed that we would be welcome?

I personally would get called a drunk stoner when i say i play at Orangevale park. Which is why some park districts and neighbors dont want discgolf in there parks cause there is a stigma that goes with discgolf. Its also the reason why the "grow the sport" with filling parks is bad for the sport. If you have 4in10 that drink and smoke and you have 1000 people uses the course that 4 in 10 becomes easy to spot. There are a few people busting their butts to get land for courses but they have to fight even for 9 hole courses let alone land for 18 holes.

I have not been to OV sense the gazebo got finished. So i would welcome a new 18hole course in the sac area especially near Rancho Cordova

Ok guys get ready...
Folsom is getting a course!!! It's going to be a full 18 holes in nisenan park.
Funding for $30k was approved by the city of Folsom. The money will be released on July 1st.
Such a relief, this area really needs more (good) courses.

I've also heard talks of possible courses in el dorado hills and cameron park. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It's really too bad that the idea of Gibson ranch seems to be squashed. Would've been an awesome course.

Latest posts