• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New course - West coast of Wisconsin

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Wait, west coast of what? I think that's a tourism marketing catch phrase. The term they use to refer to this area of the state, the western border of the state, or the east shore of the Mississippi River, and in this case Lake Pepin - exact location not disclosed for privacy, and likely might never be listed in a directory and will be disclosed on a need to know basis.

Anyway, I'm so pumped right now at the prospect of designing and building a course just down the road.

I'm working our annual Pancake breakfast when I'm approached by a dude I've never seen before. "Matt? You're Matt right? I was told to talk to you about disc golf" Uhh, yeah "We're new to the area, we purchased some land on top of the bluffs and want to put a disc golf course in but have no idea where to begin, we're interested in hiring you to help us. We've got some flat area, lots of hills, a view of the lake from the bluff's edge, lots of trees, some open area, and a power line right of way"

Me - "Well that's the best thing I've heard all year, let's talk"

So, nothing set in stone yet, but I'm going up to take a tour soon, couldn't be more excited about the prospect. Stay tuned for progress.

Got a pair of voicemails today - first one says "I'm calling to ask your opinion on the Dynamic Discs Veteran basket, and ... oh, gotta go!" Second one says "Sorry for the strange voicemail earlier, I got interrupted by a phone call from Dynamic Discs and I went ahead and placed an order for the first 3 baskets" We'll order 3 at a time as he can afford them until we have 9 or 12 baskets.

Walked the property for the first time today. Wow. Up there with some of the more epic golf I've seen. Not quite as epic as say, Holler in the Hills, Ozark Mt, or Sugaree, but comparable enough that I'm willing to include them in the discussion of how epic it is.

The obligatory top of the world shot. I'm going to guess the hole will play 450' with 100'+ of elevation loss with the basket tucked into the left towards the bottom of the hill (property boundary dictates). I also imagine big arms sacrificing a disc to the Pepi the Lake monster, or at least attempt to, I'm going to guess near 1000' with 150' drop to get to the water.

attachment.php

A rock outcropping. We had discussions of maybe a basket, or maybe a tee perched on top, I could see either working out..

attachment.php

And another rock face. The top might be difficult to use, as the property line runs right along the top, but maybe a basket tucked along side it, and again maybe a basket/tee from the top.

attachment.php

Attachments

• course1.jpg
    course1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 264
  • course2.jpg
    course2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 272
  • course3.jpg
    course3.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 259
Sounds impressive!!!!! I would love to check it out as well as Golden Eagle. I gotta start course bagging again after my 18 month hiatus.

Walked the property for the first time today. Wow. Up there with some of the more epic golf I've seen. Not quite as epic as say, Holler in the Hills, Ozark Mt, or Sugaree, but comparable enough that I'm willing to include them in the discussion of how epic it is.

The obligatory top of the world shot. I'm going to guess the hole will play 450' with 100'+ of elevation loss with the basket tucked into the left towards the bottom of the hill (property boundary dictates). I also imagine big arms sacrificing a disc to the Pepi the Lake monster, or at least attempt to, I'm going to guess near 1000' with 150' drop to get to the water.

attachment.php

A rock outcropping. We had discussions of maybe a basket, or maybe a tee perched on top, I could see either working out..

attachment.php

And another rock face. The top might be difficult to use, as the property line runs right along the top, but maybe a basket tucked along side it, and again maybe a basket/tee from the top.

attachment.php

That seems to be one of the steepest Top of the World shots . . . but also the prettiest because of the river . . . can we cut down the power lines?

First 9 holes (utilizing 6 baskets) are carved out and ready to install - well, only 2 of those holes really required any 'carving' but you know. Baskets are purchased and ready to be set as soon as the ground is ready for them. The first 7 holes might be the "lamest" of the bunch, or more akin to your standard park style course, hole 8 gives you a taste of the epicness to come, and hole 9 might make you poop yourself. :)

Hole 7 tee pad, the basket will be just behind the tree on the horizon.

attachment.php

Hole 10 tee pad, the basket will be blind hyzer over the treetops.

attachment.php

Attachments

• christophercourse1.jpg
    christophercourse1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 156
  • christophercourse2.jpg
    christophercourse2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 153
Anyone else see a monster face looking at you from that rock?

If the owner hadn't already coined the name "Pride Rock" for that hole, maybe we would go with something like rock monster or something... lol hadn't seen the monster before you mentioned it.

I was planning on working all day today up there, but he said it was too wet and they're going to come play my course instead. Works for me I guess..

Err... apparently I can't count. The numbers above are all messed up, please disregard, I will make a map soon of the first 16 holes. Which only gets me to the bottom of the hill, probably another 11 holes after that to get back to the top.

Anyway, lets talk hole 11. I'm thinking hole 9 of Akita's run. We might call it something along the lines of the north wall. 150' hole with 80' of elevation gain.

This first picture is of the basket area, I am imagining a basket (with no pole below it) perched on the rock just to the right of the 4 wheeler. So the road is the landing zone, make it to the road, get rewarded with a putt at the basket that sits at the base of "pride rock."

attachment.php

Now lets take a look down the fairway from the basket (obviously not cleared out), can't really clearly see the tee down below, but it's in front of a large rock that will act as an area to be able to fill around for a level teeing surface to throw up from.

attachment.php

And then I took a walk part of the way down the fairway and took a picture looking back up towards the rock outcropping known as "pride rock" You'll remember the top of pride rock from the picture labeled "hole 10" above (actually hole 9).

attachment.php

Attachments

• christophercourse11.jpg
    christophercourse11.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 143
  • christophercourse11a.jpg
    christophercourse11a.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 144
  • christophercourse11b.jpg
    christophercourse11b.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 145

attachment.php

In the layout we've discussed thus far, we've brought this feature into play 3 times. Hole 8 plays down towards the top of it, throw too far and risk falling off to the road below (or worse). Hole 9 then throws off the top of it to a basket against the other cliff face pictured. And then hole 11 plays back up to the base of it as described in my previous post.

Where exactly is this course? Im in western wi. Id be more than willing to come volunteer some labor hours if you're not too far away!

Latest posts