• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DGCR ratings - Who sucks worse than me?

I am rated 16 points higher on DGCR than I am on PDGA . . .

1) Some rounds I play may have been psted as regular rounds when they were doubles
2) I have not played a PDGA event since November of last year and I know I have gotten a whole lot better this season. The highest I was rated in PDGA was 915 and I feel like I am a mid- 920's player anyways I just don't perform that well in a tournament setting.
3) I could be lying about it all . . . I suck and I shave strokes when posting DGCR scores.

You be the judge!

@DerekTonn,

Are you changing the course page pin position settings before entering your rounds? It looks and sounds like the SSE formula for all of those rounds is using the same course length configuration (i.e. obviously wrong). If you update the course page pin positions before you enter your rounds, you'll get much more accurate results out of it.

Feeling pretty good, I'm at 871..and I put all of my rounds into the scorebook, even the ridiculous +8's from the first few rounds after the winter break :p

I'm at an 893 which is quite a bit higher than my PDGA rating of a whopping 839. But it's not too big of a discrepancy and honestly, if I was able to play more tourneys I think my rating with the PDGA would be similar. I can easily see myself being a 900-rated player by the end of 2014 (I wont be back in the US until May of 2014) Here's hoping!

@DerekTonn,

Are you changing the course page pin position settings before entering your rounds? It looks and sounds like the SSE formula for all of those rounds is using the same course length configuration (i.e. obviously wrong). If you update the course page pin positions before you enter your rounds, you'll get much more accurate results out of it.

Thanks jeverett! Would you mind explaining to me (us) a bit more what you mean by the "course page pin position settings?" When I'm entering my rounds in the Scorebook at DGCR, all I've ever seen that I can really set is which tees I've played...red, white, blue, or gold. And usually, the information entered for each tee (distances, par) is marginal at-best, to missing/inaccurate at-worst.

Another thought I had related to DGCR ratings: posted par for a hole. Using my Mound Creek example from my previous post, I've wondered if posted hole par impacts DGCR ratings. As Mound Creek, even off the shorts (reds), is listed as a Par 36. We always play it as a par 27 (par 23-24 off the shorts, in reality) ...but when we enter our deuce in DGCR on Hole 7 (as an example), it'll be a deuce on a "Par 5." Even though there isn't a single hole out there I would consider as more than a Par 3.

It'd be nice if we could spend a year or so (lots of volunteers) cleaning-up data/info on all of these courses...both here (DGCR) and at PDGA.com. Lots of old, partial, incorrect, and/or missing info on our inventory of courses! I've tried to take the bull by the horns with Mike Snelson (MN PDGA State Rep) and Steve West the past few years...but even we have a tough time keeping on top of just Minnesota!

Last edited:
Par does not factor into DGCR Player Ratings at all.

Hopefully, this new feature will motivate people to set up hole lengths and foliage values correctly where they are off.

Thanks jeverett! Would you mind explaining to me (us) a bit more what you mean by the "course page pin position settings?" When I'm entering my rounds in the Scorebook at DGCR, all I've ever seen that I can really set is which tees I've played...red, white, blue, or gold. And usually, the information entered for each tee (distances, par) is marginal at-best, to missing/inaccurate at-worst.

Hi DerekTonn,

Sure, the pin position information is under the 'hole info' tab on each course page. If you click on that, you can see which pin positions are available for the course, and which position each hole is currently in, along with their respective lengths. At the bottom, there's an 'update hole info' button, that will let you switch pin positions, change pin lengths, etc. That's what you'll want to be sure is correct before you enter the round on your scorebook. :) Does that help? :)

Another thought I had related to DGCR ratings: posted par for a hole. Using my Mound Creek example from my previous post, I've wondered if posted hole par impacts DGCR ratings. As Mound Creek, even off the shorts (reds), is listed as a Par 36. We always play it as a par 27 (par 23-24 off the shorts, in reality) ...but when we enter our deuce in DGCR on Hole 7 (as an example), it'll be a deuce on a "Par 5." Even though there isn't a single hole out there I would consider as more than a Par 3.

As Dave242 already mentioned, thankfully the 'par' values for each tee/hole aren't used in any way in the SSE calculations. One thing you can do on the course page to deal with unusual sign 'par' values like that is to add a second 'tee' on the course hole info page (providing the course doesn't actually have multiple tees already). The lengths would be all the same, of course, but that way scorebook users have the option of deciding if they want to use the 'red' tee (high par) value or the 'blue' tee value. It won't really affect anything other than how your round looks on your scorebook, though. ;)

I would actually prefer people did not add tees just because they don't like the posted par values. If they want to change the pars they can do so on their scorecards but giving people the impression that there is another set of tees isn't a great idea.

I had an issue with that recently where a guy filled out 4 tees which were the same tee but each had different par values. Very confusing.

This year I have been playing better than any previous year. This summer (starting in June) is also my first year using the scorebook feature, but so far I am sitting at 914. I'm pretty happy with that.

944, my home course is very long and has a lot of OB but is very open so I get higher ratings on it than I should.

I would actually prefer people did not add tees just because they don't like the posted par values. If they want to change the pars they can do so on their scorecards but giving people the impression that there is another set of tees isn't a great idea.

I had an issue with that recently where a guy filled out 4 tees which were the same tee but each had different par values. Very confusing.

^ This.

I'd rather work to bring some order to chaos on the course info/records found at DGCR and PDGA.com instead of making chaos more chaotic by adding lots of different sets of tees that'll just confuse everyone even more.

Sure makes the 'ol Scorebook look phat though...posting lots of "albatrosses" (double-eagles) on holes that should be Par 3, but are posted/listed as Par 5s. 42 of them for me since Fall 2009. :p Unless folks are playing courses that are "mando" for throwing paper plates or hubcaps, or they're aiming at an island green about the size of someone's living room, I think just about any hole under 500-600 feet that is listed as a "par 5" is pretty ridiculous.

Just submitted my first rounds(since I discovered the scorecard application that is). Now if I can just never bogie(or double bogie) again, I should be looking(emphasis on the word "looking") good. Also, an ace here and there wouldn't hurt.

Latest posts