• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Layout at Harry Myers Rockwall TX

Yes sir!!

So yeah. The course looks to me like it's going to be nothing short of epic. I can't wait to see it greened up in all its new found glory. I love my town!!

Looking forward to the Nick Hyde AM weekend as well! Hopefully I'll see some of you there!!

Please tell us that epic hole #3 is still intact or playable in it's previous configuration.

Great question, Lee.

Epic #3, generally considered one of the best holes on the course, is now even-more-Epic #8. Same Blue and Red tees as ever.

For starters, the bottom area, which everyone needed to avoid by going around or over -- and which was brutally punishing if you didn't -- has been completely cleaned up and opened up. See the Before and After photos here (and thanks to Jomez). That new opening on the right side is wide and can cut off over 100' feet if you hit it.

Also, the cedar limbs in the top right of the photos should now be gone to open up the drive more. That had not been done when I was there a few weeks ago. The bois d'arc on the left should also have been cleaned up.

The rough around the "bowl" has been cleaned up, too.

The old pin position, which was guarded by endless thick rough on both sides, now plays up and over the hill -- through a very wide gap defined by mature trees -- to a pin now guarded by two new good-sized red cedars. Epic-er than ever.

We all tend to miss what's old and familiar, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone making the case that the newer version isn't a major improvement in half a dozen ways. If you don't think it's better, please let me know why. I'm always looking to learn more about people's perspectives and will always be respectful of your opinion. [email protected] Thanks.

Attachments

• HM8LA3 from Jomez video.jpg
    HM8LA3 from Jomez video.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 64
  • HM8LA3.jpg
    HM8LA3.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 65
And here's a photo from up on the hill looking back at the fairway.

The spot where I took this is about 175' short of the new pin and used to be solid rough. The old pin is down to my left in the woods.

Attachments

• HM8LA2 Edited to Past.jpg
    HM8LA2 Edited to Past.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 49
Played it.

Played the new layout this morning from the red tees. It's really nice. Still needs some smoothing in a few areas and some signs indicating where to go to get to the next tee maybe in a couple of places but wow. It's great. For those of you that couldn't be bothered to throw from the reds. The blue tees are certainly more challenging.

I shot even from the reds so maybe I'll go blues next time around. I like the changes. The new number 8 is no longer the gimme birdie it once was when it was number 3. You have to make your shots. Great course and design. Love it personally and feel very fortunate for this to be my home course. John Houck is the man!! Thanks to Rockwall Parks and Rec as well!!!

Last edited:
Hole 8....a better version of 1.0 hole 3. I saw they cleared out the treeline a while back and was curious, wondering what the risk/reward would be instead of the usual turn over, over the top shot. With the new pin placement the reward for going through the trees straight to the "bowl" is far greater than throwing over the top and hoping for a good plinko. Loved it.

So I played the course this morning around 0745 and have to say, I'm impressed and John, I'm sorry I ever doubted you. I have pics of all the tee signs but don't want to post them since Mr. Houck is releasing them himself, and didn't want to do a write up of each hole just yet until we've got all 18 released. If you're in this area, go play it. Myers definitely needed some TLC and it got what it needed.

Not that I'm in any position to make any changes, but the only things I wish would happen:
-little creek that runs along the fairway of hole 2, could use a foot bridge. I made it across and was just able to use the sidewalk around but most others I saw play the hole came up short and had to play their lie, then walk around either way. A little foot bridge there would help a ton.
-18's green, I'm sure the course will get polished up and cleaned up quite a bit over the next week so hopefully this will happen, but lots of brush around the pin on 18. I'm not one of those that thinks every green has to be manicured and perfect but if it just got cleared out a touch more and cleaned up, that's improve it.

The new tee signs that show where the next tee is are great as well, really help until you learn the course.

All in all I'm absolutely thrilled with the results. Can't wait to get out there during the week and really take some time learning the new course and new shots.

Last edited:
And the landing area on the new #9. Before and Now.

We love trees, and trees have roots. But roots are no fun to land on or throw from.

-- Now photos courtesy of A. Hesser

Hey, John.

Will some of these holes be closed to allow new grass to germinate and grow?

I'm thinking that if grass were to be established, it would be after the tournament.

Hole 8....a better version of 1.0 hole 3. I saw they cleared out the treeline a while back and was curious, wondering what the risk/reward would be instead of the usual turn over, over the top shot. With the new pin placement the reward for going through the trees straight to the "bowl" is far greater than throwing over the top and hoping for a good plinko. Loved it.

So I played the course this morning around 0745 and have to say, I'm impressed and John, I'm sorry I ever doubted you. I have pics of all the tee signs but don't want to post them since Mr. Houck is releasing them himself, and didn't want to do a write up of each hole just yet until we've got all 18 released. If you're in this area, go play it. Myers definitely needed some TLC and it got what it needed.

Not that I'm in any position to make any changes, but the only things I wish would happen:
-little creek that runs along the fairway of hole 2, could use a foot bridge. I made it across and was just able to use the sidewalk around but most others I saw play the hole came up short and had to play their lie, then walk around either way. A little foot bridge there would help a ton.
-18's green, I'm sure the course will get polished up and cleaned up quite a bit over the next week so hopefully this will happen, but lots of brush around the pin on 18. I'm not one of those that thinks every green has to be manicured and perfect but if it just got cleared out a touch more and cleaned up, that's improve it.

The new tee signs that show where the next tee is are great as well, really help until you learn the course.

All in all I'm absolutely thrilled with the results. Can't wait to get out there during the week and really take some time learning the new course and new shots.

Your comments about the course are spot on. A little foot bridge for 2 would indeed be great. I thought the same thing.

So I played the course this morning around 0745 and have to say, I'm impressed and John, I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

Mark, thanks, and no worries.

Thanks also to DonJuan for his comments. The parks crew did all they could do get the course playable by the end of the day Friday. Sounds like they didn't quite make it. Please note:

* There will soon be a crossing installed on #2

* It's sounds like the 18 Next Tee signs did not go in. They will likely be the biggest and nicest Next Tee signs most people have ever seen.

* Some of the limbing may not yet be done.

* Even though they did massive clearing of brush, I'm hoping they'll be able to do a bit more.

* We should finally be getting OB markers on #17

I asked an awful lot of these guys, and they really stepped it up, as the Live Oak crew did last year. As the club in Abilene is doing. Attention to detail is one of the things that's makes the difference between a good course and a great course.

The final improvements should be there soon. So glad you two (and a few others we heard from) are enjoying it.

John and crew,

Thanks for getting all this done for my visit in April. You really shouldn't have.

This might come in time but I'm hoping there will be an over view map of the whole course. Whats been explained so far looks great but it's hard to imagine it in context of the landscape.

Stay awesome.

I just made a new page for this course since it's a pretty big redesign. Like Anthony G mentioned, getting a new map up (and photos!) would be awesome. I've filled in all the hole data, I guess at some of the longer holes being par 4 but if that's wrong please feel free to go in and fix them.

http://dgcour.se/10653

Hey John thanks for everything. I was there on Tuesday and could not believe everything they did up until Saturday when I played. Amazing job by parks and rec. good to hear all the little details you mentioned. Parks and rec posted all the tee signs on their site. https://playrockwall.com/disc-golf/ Thanks again. As always disc on!!

Hey John thanks for everything. I was there on Tuesday and could not believe everything they did up until Saturday when I played. Amazing job by parks and rec. good to hear all the little details you mentioned. Parks and rec posted all the tee signs on their site. https://playrockwall.com/disc-golf/ Thanks again. As always disc on!!

Thank YOU, DJ. When you get a chance, please look at the PM I sent you.

All pins were moved to the short position today. Makes it more enjoyable to me, I've hit 3 baskets off the tee, just none of them stuck for an ace yet. I believe it'll stay in this setup until after the Nick Hyde amateur weekend.

Latest posts