• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] New mid Vertex?

I got a Proton Tangent today, and after playing a half a round with it I think it will replace my Skulboy Vertex in the bag. While Tangent is maybe bit shorter it feels more controllable. Maybe. Needs bit more testing.

You are not wrong... For me the Tangent is a line locking fiend.. It will handle more power, Very straight, as it breaks in it just flies straighter.. Until one day it starts turning on its own, when that day comes the Vertex I find to be a better option because it turns just as easy but throws lighter and has that touch of late fade to bring it back.

You are not wrong... For me the Tangent is a line locking fiend.. It will handle more power, Very straight, as it breaks in it just flies straighter.. Until one day it starts turning on its own, when that day comes the Vertex I find to be a better option because it turns just as easy but throws lighter and has that touch of late fade to bring it back.

I totally agree. If the Tangent were tweaked somehow to fly longer/cut wind better it might be my main disc. My love for driving putters, coupled with so many great MVP+ putter driver molds keeps me from the Tangent.

I played a flooded and overgrown out of town course yestetday. I somehow managed to lose 2 Vectors, but the Vertex did it's job each time it was called on. And the Particle fills in pretty darn good for a lost Vector....

I totally agree. If the Tangent were tweaked somehow to fly longer/cut wind better it might be my main disc. My love for driving putters, coupled with so many great MVP+ putter driver molds keeps me from the Tangent.

I played a flooded and overgrown out of town course yestetday. I somehow managed to lose 2 Vectors, but the Vertex did it's job each time it was called on. And the Particle fills in pretty darn good for a lost Vector....

I'm actually considering a particle for the slot of OS mid. I find that I want a little more stability out of my proton envy. I have a soft neutron envy in the mail but not sure if it's going to be enough of a difference to replace the vector.

I also agree with the others about the tangent. It locks onto a line and just holds it. I still have it in the bag as I love throwing it, I just wish I had a longer version of it lol

I have played couple more rounds with Tangent and it definitely dropped Vertex out of the bag (and the use of Electron Atom as well). It does fly pretty far with a smooth throw with minimal fade. Probably not very good with wind but neither is Vertex I guess. Very puttery (!) feel as well, but doesn't need much spin to fly effortlessly BH and FH in short approaches. I do like the feel of Vertex in the hand as well, and I probably could get that to work out as well, but I think I have more uses for Tangent and rather not bag that many mids.

I have played couple more rounds with Tangent and it definitely dropped Vertex out of the bag (and the use of Electron Atom as well). It does fly pretty far with a smooth throw with minimal fade. Probably not very good with wind but neither is Vertex I guess. Very puttery (!) feel as well, but doesn't need much spin to fly effortlessly BH and FH in short approaches. I do like the feel of Vertex in the hand as well, and I probably could get that to work out as well, but I think I have more uses for Tangent and rather not bag that many mids.

The Tangent is much more viable as a primary mid, where the Vertex is much more of a specialty disc. It fills the role of a beat putter-class driver, but with more glide and heavier weights because it is larger diameter. Vertex is shorter than Tangent for me, and needs more height to work similar distances.

I've been testing out my Vertex pretty heavily on a variety of shots.

Highlights: Uniquely suited for finishing on an anhyzer angle without catching an edge and rolling...Whether powering a hyzer release to stand up and finish anny, throwing flat to immediate turn, or throwing with anny for a short and tight turn the disc almost always skids flat at the end of flight. It makes annies with the Vertex almot like hyzers in terms of predictability. It's also great for standstill shots to get good glide and work lines on a small scale.

Limitations: With 300' of power the Vertex is a flip monster. It takes height, skill, and positive wind conditions to have success with the Vertex past 300'. It is a bit touchy trying to dial in when exactly you want the Vertex to turn...It is a disc that doesn't exactly fill the role of any other disc, so it may not be as immediately intuitive as discs like an Axis/Vector.

Sounds familiar, I guess you could characterise Vertex as your beat up workhorse neutral mid/putter? But as it is already at that stage in the beginning, you need some time to get used to it compared to a classical case where you have used the same disc so long that it has gradually became flippy and thus you know it's behaviour very well.

I just grabbed another Vertex to try because I have a feeling the first one I got is an oddball. The original is domey and possibly the stiffest N plastic I've ever felt. My new one is flat, flexier, and stickered a couple grams lighter...basically more in line with what I prefer for putter drivers. We will see how it compares.

I just grabbed another Vertex to try because I have a feeling the first one I got is an oddball. The original is domey and possibly the stiffest N plastic I've ever felt. My new one is flat, flexier, and stickered a couple grams lighter...basically more in line with what I prefer for putter drivers. We will see how it compares.

It will be a turny no doubt a few grams seems to make a difference. My. 179 is domey and beefy by comparison ( Z comet) to the 174 Skulboy (worn ESP Comet/Spin)

Last edited:
It will be a turny no doubt a few grams seems to make a difference. My. 179 is domey and beefy by comparison ( Z comet) to the 174 Skulboy (worn ESP Comet/Spin)

That would make sense, but my new one has a noticeably higher PLH. Accordingly it seems to be a hss of -1.5 instead of -3 like my original one. It also turns slower when it does go over, and glides more. This allows it to track even farther right on annies(rhbh) before grounding out. The stability is easier to gauge with a little more resistance as the disc can be thrown pretty flat and hard for a 250' anny. Or you can air it out with a little anny and it will get good forward penetration as it turns. I appreciate this stability as a starting point so I can learn some touch with the disc as it breaks in.

As an approach disc my new Vertex can take a smooth flat throw and just push without actually turning. It's really pretty to watch it just hang straight so long...very MVP gyro-ish flight.

My original Vertex is a curiosity, my new one is a player.

Looking at the Vertex in the store it is essentially a flatter and slightly larger diameter Spin putter....Not really a mid. So it's my putter driver that a neutral premium gyro putter will never break into.

Attachments

• 20190621_182731.jpg
    20190621_182731.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 7
That would make sense, but my new one has a noticeably higher PLH. Accordingly it seems to be a hss of -1.5 instead of -3 like my original one. It also turns slower when it does go over, and glides more. This allows it to track even farther right on annies(rhbh) before grounding out. The stability is easier to gauge with a little more resistance as the disc can be thrown pretty flat and hard for a 250' anny.

I'm jealous.. Sounds like the exact opposite of what I have, I should check my plh but I order blind anyhow online.

I'm jealous.. Sounds like the exact opposite of what I have, I should check my plh but I order blind anyhow online.

My good one is a blue Neutron blank... Probably only one run of blues set aside from stamping so far, so it could be relatively easy to look for one.

My good one is a blue Neutron blank... Probably only one run of blues set aside from stamping so far, so it could be relatively easy to look for one.

Thanks man.. I think I got it covered.. I just would have liked my heavier one to be flatter like my lighter one.. Or something I don't know.. It's not a mold that I'm committed to but it could sneak it's way in there. Again though as a putter/ soft mid it's redundant with a lot of other stuff or putters I throw. Really like the 179 for one disc rounds... especially the putting.

You can bet I will examine that 176 a little closer though. Duh I guess with PLH.. I was kinda wondering how 5g made such a crazy difference.

Threw a quick 9.. Comet 171 ESP (fresh and flat) vs 174 Skulboy Vertex... Vertex took the lead after the second hole by a stroke, glanced a tree and got a easy bird. Comet made it up on the next hole though. All tied up another three holes later heading around my pond... banked a straight to fade almost ace run with the Comet, Vertex came up short and got lost, probably in the bush hopefully not in the pond.

The Vertex makes the Comet look overstable.... Haha. Throwing them back to back was problematic.

I threw a red 177g Circuit Stamped Vertex a little bit ago and it was like Dx Stingray flippy. Great for short wooded tunnel shots...but the Comet is more versatile.

I'm really starting to develop touch with my Vertex and seeing it's potential. With the right height and angle it flies pretty effortlessly on short annies. It is easy to both range and control the severity of the turn. I had some of my best drives ever with it tonight on several short and technical anhyzer lines. It is almost a cheater disc on this particular course and I'm now officially a Vertex fan.

Loving the Vertex as a complement to a Buzzz. Like a streamlined midrange version of the Magic (or the Spin which is a more apt comparison).

Love comets too, but I can't justify that slot between a buzzz and driving putter. I throw Comets pretty smooth I guess as they never turn for me in calm conditions unless beat.

I actually did a little back to back test between the Vertex and Diamond Mystic from Gateway the other day (sample size of 1). Really similar discs. The Mystic is a damn good understable driver as well, and actually turns quite consistently and mildly, which is what I look for in a flippy mid. If I run out of Vertexes (OOP) then I would seriously consider picking up some more of these Mystics. I actually tried a Suregrip Mystic one time in the past, quite nice too, but the Diamond actually molds up really nicely and flies nice and understable off the shelf.

i was considering buying a vertex when i ordered my deflector, but don't want to get attached to a discontinued mold.. i know mvp said they were revamping their midrange lineup but im not seeing any new additions to fill the gaps.

I liked them hard for awhile, got 3 or so here... if supplies run short. Found there was a big difference between my 174 and 178.. Never threw my 176g skulboy I always figured that would be the sweet weight! Fun disc to carve with, the heavy one I used as a wind putter a few times, and downhill it was a fiend! I think you could do a lot with multiple weights...

I am really looking forward to their straight understable mid, I am hyped on the ohm and heard good things about the reactor.

Latest posts