• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] New mid Vertex?

I got a few throws in with a heavy neutron Vertex. Can't speak with too much authority yet because the course was iced over.

From what I could tell, lots of glide and lots of turn. I felt like it showed some pretty serious hang time if I didn't crank it over. Turns over with less effort than the Theory. Fun playing around with different hyzer angles to delay the flip.

I'll have to spend more time with it to decide if I want to bag it. I'm running with a beat Axis for my flippy mid and this is noticeably more understable, so it wouldn't overlap.

I'll post a video this weekend that shows it in flight on a couple short, snowy holes, along with some more Particle throws.

When I got mine in, I was a bit disappointed after comparing it to my Theory. Looked to be just MVP's version. I now have three rounds with it and used in in place of my most US Theory. I now think it's sufficiently different to take my Theory's place. Seems a little faster with a touch more glide. Anyone done a direct comparison on the depth of the two? I keep meaning to do that.

I got a few throws in with a heavy neutron Vertex. Can't speak with too much authority yet because the course was iced over.

I'll post a video this weekend that shows it in flight on a couple short, snowy holes, along with some more Particle throws.

Did the course melt this weekend? I'm kind of waiting to see a Vertex vid from you.. If I trip over one I'm buying it but until then I'm living vicariously through others.

Hmmm not much action here haha... it's not a breakaway hit..

I played a one disc round with 179 N Vertex and a 179 plasma Axis... one disc, side by each anyways. Just wanted to toss the Vertex a little love held some great lines lots of exciting ace runs.

Hmmm not much action here haha... it's not a breakaway hit..

I played a one disc round with 179 N Vertex and a 179 plasma Axis... one disc, side by each anyways. Just wanted to toss the Vertex a little love held some great lines lots of exciting ace runs.

I actually almost took mine out for a round today. I hit my only eagle on a par 4 with the Vertex on a standstill BH hyzer flip that wove through some trees and into the chains. I find for low power shots it's really workable and maybe its my elevation but not crazy US if you release it cleanly.

I'd also love to see a mike c vid on the vertex ;)

I actually almost took mine out for a round today. I hit my only eagle on a par 4 with the Vertex on a standstill BH hyzer flip that wove through some trees and into the chains. I find for low power shots it's really workable and maybe its my elevation but not crazy US if you release it cleanly.

I'd also love to see a mike c vid on the vertex ;)

I had one at one point but lost it on the 3rd or 4th hole of a test video and never saw it again :|

I just picked one up and it's been fun so far. This is one of the more out there molds that I've seen from MVP and the flight is unique. I need to throw it some more to have useful commentary, but my home courses are full of holes that should be applicable.

I just picked one up and it's been fun so far. This is one of the more out there molds that I've seen from MVP and the flight is unique. I need to throw it some more to have useful commentary, but my home courses are full of holes that should be applicable.

How heavy is yours? Good to see ya, can't wait to hear back.

I have a theory about the ideal weight being 176-177g on them. Really digging my 179, my 174 Skulboy is kinda flippy but holds an anny well.. I got a 176 Skulboy that I really want to throw.. Since it likely won't become a collectors item odds are good, but I want to see how far this 179 breaks in. Its a very mellow flyer thrown flat and straight, gets a little bit of turn, little fade. Kind of reminds me of my champion Coyote when I'd throw it right on the flat. Or the Tursas with a lower power requirement.

I have bagged one 177 or so skulboy vertex for a while, and I see it's value in low powered straight shots but haven't really gotten a feel for good turnovers yet. Tends to turn too much often, but it is likely just me. I don't throw lot's of mids so it always feel bit akward to get the power and grip etc correct. But Vertex inspired me to by new Tangent after five year break, so let's see when I compare them.

Geez, who is this guy? :rolleyes:

Are you throwing anything that isn't MVP at this point?

I have bagged one 177 or so skulboy vertex for a while, and I see it's value in low powered straight shots but haven't really gotten a feel for good turnovers yet. Tends to turn too much often, but it is likely just me. I don't throw lot's of mids so it always feel bit akward to get the power and grip etc correct. But Vertex inspired me to by new Tangent after five year break, so let's see when I compare them.

Mines a skulboy also. I find it needs a good amount of snap to turnover all the way and like most MVP discs is more HSS than the numbers might suggest I think basically once you GET them to turn they'll stay true to the numbers but thats assuming the reuired amount of spin has been applied to the disc. If not they will start the fade much sooner.

I only have it because I wanted something with more glide than my proton tangent. I love my tangent for holding whatever line it's on but out in the open it always dies very quickly so I dont throw it much on open courses that need a bit of distance. I can throw my putters further lol I have a neutron Axis but honestly I just haven't clicked with it. I just don't seem to throw it well for whatever reason.

I had one at one point but lost it on the 3rd or 4th hole of a test video and never saw it again :|

That sucks... Hopefully you get your hands on a new one at some point. I use my relay now as an US mid but am toying with the vertex again as a complement to my Entropy (similar feel imo).

I lost my first inertia on hole 18 of the first round I played with it. Could only get them in proton where I bought it and it was dark purple. Saw where it landed only 40ft away from me and couldnt find it as dusk set in.. Still a mystery. Bought the only other one they had and its dark blue :doh: Haven't lost it yet though lol

How heavy is yours? Good to see ya, can't wait to hear back.

I was actually disappointed that all 4 at the local store were stickered 175. I grabbed the one I thought felt the heaviest. I stopped on the way home and threw it a few times. Even though I prefer mids in the 176-178 range, I was fine with the way the 175 behaved. When I got home it scaled 176.6. It's nice when you get lucky.

Geez, who is this guy? :rolleyes:

Are you throwing anything that isn't MVP at this point?

I was very casual with my playing over the past few years and really didn't try anything new at all. Now that I'm getting back in shape I'm just trying to catch up on all the MVP and affiliates I missed while away. If anyone I'm playing with throws anything that looks interesting I'll ask for a try, but I am bagging all MVP/Axiom currently.

I have gotten to throw it on a lot of holes the past 2 days. I'm throwing a factory misprint in a stiff and shiny blue plastic that reminds me of the first run of medium Ions. It has a very gradual dome and scales 176.6. The nose profile looks like an Orca literally....I can't say I've seen anything like it.

It seems slower than my eclipse Tangents, but it glides more and carries longer. Where my Tangent flies on slow sweeping lines that hold to the ground, my Vertex has a quicker initial turn before locking onto a line. Instead of just holding to the ground, the Vertex straightens back out very gradually during the last segment of it's flight and finishes forward. I think this gives it potential to work a lot of tricky lines through the woods that more conventional mids stuggle with. With a tailwind it needed to be thrown like a more stable disc to work properly, otherwise no turn. And it does bomb with a tailwind. In general I think it feels like a mid/driving-putter hybrid out of the hand and in flight. It's been teaming up great with my soft N Particle for holes under 300'.

I have gotten to throw it on a lot of holes the past 2 days. I'm throwing a factory misprint in a stiff and shiny blue plastic that reminds me of the first run of medium Ions. It has a very gradual dome and scales 176.6. The nose profile looks like an Orca literally....I can't say I've seen anything like it.

It seems slower than my eclipse Tangents, but it glides more and carries longer. Where my Tangent flies on slow sweeping lines that hold to the ground, my Vertex has a quicker initial turn before locking onto a line. Instead of just holding to the ground, the Vertex straightens back out very gradually during the last segment of it's flight and finishes forward. I think this gives it potential to work a lot of tricky lines through the woods that more conventional mids stuggle with. With a tailwind it needed to be thrown like a more stable disc to work properly, otherwise no turn. And it does bomb with a tailwind. In general I think it feels like a mid/driving-putter hybrid out of the hand and in flight. It's been teaming up great with my soft N Particle for holes under 300'.

My experience has been similar to yours stability wise. I also agree with the driving putter/mid comment since I find its shape to be very similar to the entropy making them pair together nicely. They also pair well with the Tangent because of it's increased glide and distance potential. I find the Tangent, for me is for controlled technical shots when I just need something that will lock onto the line I put it on. The Vertex is the mid that you can really thread through trees and get good distance without having to sacrifice accuracy with a hard throw. It's got some turn to it but like you I find it needs a good bit of snap or a bit of OAT to get it to to turn over all the way. I think the reason I took it out of the bag was because it wasn't US enough to fill that hole in my bag.. Now that I've learned how to throw gyro discs and control the amount of snap they get I think I'll give it a round by itself to really see what it can do. Either way I think it's an under-rated disc that is unique enough to justify bagging, especially if you are a woods player.

That being said: The Relay is still probably the best US mold in the whole lineup and can single handedly do almost anything a woods player needs. Can't wait to see how the vertex stacks against it. Been filming 1 disc rounds to show off the home course and review some of the discs that don't have a lot of exposure on youtube. The relay was the first, and vertex will be next. After that, who knows.. Maybe anode or inertia or something more obscure like the vanish or fireball.

Hey right on I'd watch that... if you post the link haha... I could probably Google it though no problem.

I find the Vertex and Relay cover very similar shots but in different ways.. I feel weird carrying both but then I throw em and they are both good in the woods and complimentary without being redundant until I get to that 200-240' range. Vertex has been excellent for short range or my long mid slot. Very happy with it for short course ace runs. If I could have kept it up higher I would have got two yesterday..

The thing I'm really liking is it's potential for a one disc round. Powers down to putter distance easy and gets into fairway country

Nice! That looks like fun, I like the sparse branches on the trees...

I played a round in the yard tonight with the 174 Vertex.. Kinda like a putter that won't lock on the line haha.. A couple real nice runs shot some nice tunnels but then it kept fading about 3 ft too soon.. On my steep downhill it kept hyzer flipping to flat and held a laser 30ft left (LHBH) both times I threw it. Inefficient as a putter next to it's 179 brother. I give it two weeks before I take it off the shelf and throw the 176

I got a Proton Tangent today, and after playing a half a round with it I think it will replace my Skulboy Vertex in the bag. While Tangent is maybe bit shorter it feels more controllable. Maybe. Needs bit more testing.