• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New, old guy in SC

Bald Paul

Hello all!

Totally new player here. Saw some guys playing at a course back in Massachusetts (Buffum Dam) and thought it looked like fun, but never seemed to have the time to give it a try.

Now, I'm retired, and have the time. ;)

Recently moved to SC, and found out there's a course very close by (Van du Mar park). Since my wife routinely beats me (at bowling, she actually treats me very well otherwise) I thought I may be able to see what other injuries I can inflict on my body with a new sport.

Besides, it might just get me out of the house during the week, other than walking the dogs.

If anyone happens to see an old man with a grey beard wandering about in the woods on the course, please don't call the police. It's not a lost Alzheimer's patient. I'm just probably trying to find a disc.

Welcome to the sport! You have an EXCELLENT course to call home, and you're in a great area for access to a LOT of disc golf. Three great courses just in the Spartanburg area, including Tyger River and Pipeline. Within an hour or so you can get to Charlotte, Asheville, Greenville, and Clemson and all the courses inbetween.

Don't miss Timmons Park when you are in Greenville. Great starter course but still plenty challenging.

There's rumors of a giant choad playing disc golf out at Va Du Mar. If you see this beast, don't approach him. He's attracted to movement and the smell of money.

welcome!! If you ever make the drive towards Pickens/Oconee/Andersoun counties give me a shout!! I run a Sunday Doubles League at Sertoma (Walhalla) at 1pm and always free on Saturday if you want to get a round in .. Grand Central is a great course! As well as Shaver, Sertoma, etc. all in this area but where you are around Greenville there are plenty of good ones!

Va-Du-Mar, and the S.C. upstate, is certainly a great place to start out in disc golf. Among the riches are a number of very good short courses---easy enough for beginners, interesting enough for advanced players. And some great folks in the disc golf community up there.

Welcome aboard! Make sure to plan a trip to Columbia to play some of the outstanding courses there. Especially Crooked Creek....great course.

Latest posts