• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Needing Advice

boobearhug

I am new to the disc golf world. I am not very strong as far as being able to throw the discs very far yet. In my free time I will go to an empty field and just throw my discs over and over. I need some pointers in learning how to throw the discs farther. I feel like I might need to start lifting some weights to get my arms stronger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Boo, Arkansas

Look at the instructional videos on this site. There's a lot of great advice.

As for lifting weights - go look at some of the top distance throwers. In full disclosure I'm not one of them. Most tend to be relatively thin and not what most would consider muscular. It's about arm speed and form not strength.

I am new to the disc golf world. I am not very strong as far as being able to throw the discs very far yet. In my free time I will go to an empty field and just throw my discs over and over. I need some pointers in learning how to throw the discs farther. I feel like I might need to start lifting some weights to get my arms stronger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Boo, Arkansas

Welcome to the sport! Doing weights will help you if you get your technique down first. I would recommend watching some pro tutorials that teach you how to throw with proper stances and technique. Find out what plastic you like and if you are buying new discs buy those in said plastic, soon you will build up a bag and have a disc for almost every shot possible.

I am new enough to be able to sympathize, but I hope i have some useful advice.

It's not about strength.

There is SOME conditioning you need, but it's not lifting strength. The game is about clean form. I'll post a vid below of Paige Pierce crushing a drive, parking a 541 foot hole.

I went to Ledgestone this past year and watched a pro women's card. I saw Paige Pierce in person. She is... 'delicate' in her build. If she breaks 120, I'd be utterly shocked. Her arms are not muscular, at all.

She's not using strength to throw the disc. It's speed and form. And honestly, I'd say mostly form.

I tried and tried and TRIED to heave the disc farther, and strained every imaginable muscle and joint in the process. That's not how it's done. It's learning the proper technique, and coordinating movements in a slow, smooth acceleration to a final 'snap' release. I'm not saying I'm GOOD at the technique, but I understand what the pros do, a bit.

EDIT: Is there some reason the youtube vid link isn't working?

Last edited:
Lynn has given some good advice. Also, keep doing those field practice sessions you're doing, but take some time to learn good form. Videos and advice online can help, but if you can get some in-person help at all, that would be better. Get your form right, then drill it into muscle memory during field practice.

One of the best ways to improve is to play with more experienced, better players. Most are happy to give advice. Find out when/where your local doubles rounds are and go join them. It may be a little intimidating at first, but most communities are welcoming and understanding of new players.

Physical strength only helps to a point. Discs are not heavy. I'm fairly sure I can outlift 99% of the elite disc golfers, but they throw much, much further than I do. If you have sufficient stamina to make it through a round without huffing and puffing, and can move your bodyweight around with no issues, (Can you do at least 10 pushups? Bodyweight squats? Good joint stability and mobility?) then you should be more focused on form than on getting stronger if improving at disc golf is the goal.

Make sure your grip is proper, that's the number 1 issue for most players. Make sure it is nose down relative to your forearm, or else your disc will just be trying to climb and stall, rather than push forward and glide. https://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

It's never a bad idea to get stronger in general...but if you want to throw far, form outweighs strength all the time. If I had Paige's form I could outdrive her since I am taller/stronger than her, even though I am very average size. Since her form is perfect compared to mine, there is no way I could throw a Defender as far as she does like in that video above.

I just want to echo the "don't focus on strength" sentiment. Hannah Leatherman is another great example. Small frame and not a ton of muscle mass, but dang she can throw! Maybe you could eventually gain some strength to increase distance, but that's NEVER the issue with new players. It's way more important to get your rhythm, weight transfer, and swing down. I've only watched a few of his videos, but Danny Lindahl has a YouTube channel that may be helpful. His motto is something like "smooth is far," and it's very true.

Good luck! And welcome to disc golf (and DGCR)!

Even though I'm also a beginner, I echo what's been said by others. It's not about arm strength. If you start lifting weight with the goal of getting stronger and adding distance, that's only going to distract you from your form. You'll be thinking "I need to get stronger." It's all in the biomechanics of the movements involved. I've lifted weights most of my life and I'm probably stronger than most guys my age (64), but my throwing distance is still pathetic. I just don't really know how to throw properly (for my particular body type) yet.

I just want to echo the "don't focus on strength" sentiment. Hannah Leatherman is another great example. Small frame and not a ton of muscle mass, but dang she can throw! Maybe you could eventually gain some strength to increase distance, but that's NEVER the issue with new players. It's way more important to get your rhythm, weight transfer, and swing down. I've only watched a few of his videos, but Danny Lindahl has a YouTube channel that may be helpful. His motto is something like "smooth is far," and it's very true.

Good luck! And welcome to disc golf (and DGCR)!
"Slow is smooth, smooth is far". His videos have helped me a lot lately. Danny is another good example of a lanky guy who can bomb.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Post a video of you throwing in the form analysis/critique if you want a solid online critique. If you do get help in person, make sure you are visiting by a person KNOWN for having straight, consistent, and smooth power and form. I wouldn't accept instruction from someone throwing 400' yanked hyzers.