• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Question

jskatt21

Par Member
Ok so this is probably a newbie question, but after doing some dyes and not being able to achieve colors that I have seen most be able to do, I was wondering what Rit to water ratio is everyone using?

I have noticed some of my mixes have too much rit crud in it.

Also, as a secondary question, I am wondering what most people do for mulit-color dyes and masking. For instance if you have a red and blue desing you are doing, do you go dark to light, or do you do one color, and then re-mask and do the other. Again, one of mine was supposed to have a nive navy blue and red color, however after getting a decent shade of blue, I dyed the red next and if made the blue darker and almost has a red tint to it.

I feel good about doing my dyes, just need some polishing in some areas.

:\so are you actually selling your work but asking newbie questions...

I knew that would come up. Yes I am selling my work, and doing pretty decent with it too. I just am asking about using colors and achieving desired results on certain colors. Feel free to look at the dyes that I have done. Most are just one color, but I have some multi-colors that look really nice too.

I am just trying to get some help/advice from some of the experts. I didn't know that there was anything wrong with that, I thought that was what this site was about. Sharing and helping each other out with disc golf related items. Sorry if I am at the wrong site.:doh:

the dye's i have done. i had a real gritty rit paste. i had a mix of powder rit, water, and stamp ink. my discs have stayed pretty crisp. i don't do much dying though and i only used one color so that's just my experience..

here's on i did. awhile ago.

some of the dye experts on here will definately know better than i. but a gritty paste has worked fine for me.

Attachments

• disc gaga.jpg
    disc gaga.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 46
Why not post some of your dyes here, show us what you've done?

For multi-colors, you gotta multi-mask. Best to go with black first, and then you can go one more color on top of that, because the black won't "tint" to that color. After that, if you need more colors, you gotta remask.

As for water-Rit ratio, I use mostly the liquid concentrate, at a ratio of about 40% water, 60% Rit, and often a little stronger. Many dyers prefer the powder, but it's all preference. Some colors are only offered in powder, but my ratio is about the same. If you've got grit, you can "boil off" some of the salts that are inherent in all Rits, used to help the color soak into fabric if I'm not mistaken. Strain it with some coffee filters if you're still not getting it to your desired consistency.

I re-mask for most colors unless it's a monochromic then I start light and build up from there. My dye mix is something like one pack of rit to 3 or 4 cups of water depending on how strong I want it, plus one squirt of dish soap maybe a table spoon . Oh yah I've just started to filter my dye using coffee filters

I just started to add a wee bit of rubbing alcohol to my rit and the colors are popping out more and staying better.

With a lot of the questions on these boards about tinkering with rit powder, it makes me wonder (as a liquid rit user and admitted DYE NEWB) why people don't use the liquid stuff. Is the $1.75 or so difference in price the only thing keeping people away or am I completely unaware of some well-known disadvantage to using liquid rit?

I have a noob question with regard to dyes...

I tried to dye a disc today (a clear sparkle z force from the players cup). I hate clear discs and I tried to dye the whole thing pink. I heated water and dye mixture and submerged it upside down in the water for 3 minutes and 30 seconds. The color came out great and I like it, however the flight plate is now warped and wavy.

Will this change the flight by much?
What did I do wrong in regards to the dye job?

you put the disc on the bottom of a hot pan. that'll warp anything that's plastic. the dye was probably too hot too. i heat mine to 130-135 degrees. get a meat thermometer, they come in handy ;)

if you're going to submerge the disc in the dye, you have to constantly be flipping it over and moving it so the pan doesn't heat the flight plate too much. or you can put some kind of stand in the pan so the disc sits on top of the bottom of the pan.

it won't effect the flight too much, but it's definitely illegal now.