• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Next Driver Recommendation

I'd try a Gstar Destroyer if you like Wraith rim feel. They are mellow and bomb.

I'm all for throwing properly, but not throwing big drivers until 400' teebird shots is crazy. Like 1% of golfers can do that. Maybe.

I can only do that in a tailwind with a very mellow Teebird, and I get tons of use out of speed 12+ stuff still, on proper and consistent lines.

I'm not sure it's good advice or not but I agree how rare 400' teebird throwers are. 1% sounds pretty accurate for my area.

Sometimes it seems like every 400' thrower in the world must posts on this forum.

If wind is not an issue, the Flow is a good Wraith replacement. Mine have been consistent, but I've heard some tend to be less stable, so check PLH if you can.

I saw that y'all have discussed it, but I want to add my recommendation of the Champion KRAIT. If you want a straight flying distance driver, I don't know of a better one. It flies very straight, then dump fades at the end. It's not 4peat World Champ Paul McBeth's most used disc, but he does use the Krait. So it may not have the ideal feel in your hand, but it's a great disc (hey, the Roc3/Shark3 does not feel great to my grubby paws, but I choose performance over comfort, there).

I saw that y'all have discussed it, but I want to add my recommendation of the Champion KRAIT. If you want a straight flying distance driver, I don't know of a better one. It flies very straight, then dump fades at the end. It's not 4peat World Champ Paul McBeth's most used disc, but he does use the Krait. So it may not have the ideal feel in your hand, but it's a great disc (hey, the Roc3/Shark3 does not feel great to my grubby paws, but I choose performance over comfort, there).

If a disc doesn't feel comfortable in your hand, you're not getting maximum use out of said disc. Period. Hand feel is huge in the ability to throw the disc correctly. Now please, go on one of your diatribes telling me how wrong I am even though I am right.

If you have a driver (wide rim) that is easy to throw straight from a slight hyzer release (flips over nicely then fades back later hence a straight flight) and one that is overstable but certainly not crazy overstable then you have the only two drivers (wide rim) you want in my opinion. You don't want your overstable driver (wide rim) to be crazy overstable because then it will not fly far. You just want it to not want to turn over on you like your easy-to-throw-straight driver does easily. Sounds like your Wraith and Tern are a Tiger Woods/Paul McBeth top professional quality two disc driver team. Fits you perfectly. It does not matter if it is a wraith, destroyer, boss, and so on. They will all accomplish exactly the same score if they are equally overstable or equally easy to throw super straight. Just my opinion though.

Unless you play in crazy winds often in which case you would want something something extra overstable for crazy headwinds and something extra understable for crazy tailwinds. I played in 30mph winds the other day and can testify. But 95% of the time I don't want either of those drivers. I just want one that is easy to throw dead straight and one that still always wants to fly far but doesn't want to turn. My overstable driver will probably turn slightly in a headwind, depending on the speed of the headwind and how fast I have to throw the disc to reach the hole. But I can either just account for that by throwing straight at the basket or even to the left of the basket knowing that the disc will re stabilize but too late to fly straight, or put that extra overstable driver in for that day.

If you just want to buy/collect more discs or have more discs in your bag than that is not an exercise in actually improving your scores, playing fun disc golf, or being practical in any way. Getting any other drivers at that point is purely for fun in my opinion. I used to think it was dull throwing the same discs all the time. Now I find discs the dull, unimportant part of the sport so I don't want any more. I don't even want more than one back up so that when I need a replacement (for example a fresh overstable driver) I can go on a facebook group and shop around for a cool looking one. That is always satisfying, but not when I don't actually need a replacement.

I'm not sure it's good advice or not but I agree how rare 400' teebird throwers are. 1% sounds pretty accurate for my area.

Sometimes it seems like every 400' thrower in the world must posts on this forum.

The main point is to not focus on which disc will get you more distance, but to improve your form in order to get more distance. Record yourself, and compare your form to the pros and post here for feedback or ask the locals that can crush. There are definitely some helpful people here on the forums when it comes to improving your form.

Also, for what you're looking for, I cant recommend an Axiom Crave enough. LNG for a speed 7 and one of the easiest discs to throw straight I carry.

Agreed. Sweet spot DX Teebird flight in a premium plastic disc.

The main point is to not focus on which disc will get you more distance, but to improve your form in order to get more distance. Record yourself, and compare your form to the pros and post here for feedback or ask the locals that can crush. There are definitely some helpful people here on the forums when it comes to improving your form.

That's always the right answer

If a disc doesn't feel comfortable in your hand, you're not getting maximum use out of said disc. Period. Hand feel is huge in the ability to throw the disc correctly. Now please, go on one of your diatribes telling me how wrong I am even though I am right.

Hand feel is great for confidence, and I'd agree with you when it comes to putting. But if a Roc3 doesn't feel good in the hand but still can be thrown well and better than other discs that might "feel" better in the hand, why wouldn't one throw it?

Totally agree. Gotta like the flight and the feel, not one or the other.

Your modified power grip might be fine for smaller rim discs.

So many great options: flow, saint

I bought a 165g champ krait and really like it. I like how it feels in my hand better than a tern does. This disc flips a little, and then comes back to finish straight or slightly left. I like the dumpy fade much more than the wraith. I need to focus on my form and learn how to release my hips into the throw better. It's not the disc, it's the thrower.

I bought a 165g champ krait and really like it. I like how it feels in my hand better than a tern does. This disc flips a little, and then comes back to finish straight or slightly left. I like the dumpy fade much more than the wraith. I need to focus on my form and learn how to release my hips into the throw better. It's not the disc, it's the thrower.

:thmbup: :clap:

The Krait isn't the longest flier out there but a nice straight flier. Like a longer TL. For max D a better choice would be a Star Katana at 375-400. The Champ uses it.