• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night Golf, lighting up the basket. Is it legal?

BigMerch81

Par Member
As the thread title says above. Is it legal to shine a light on the basket during night rounds? At our league we were told it was ok by the guy running things, but tonight players on the course were yelling at our group for it not being legal. One of our group members had a Mikita light that was really helpful. Other times with friends i've used the flashlight app on my phone and set it facing down on top of the basket to help and helped a lot with putting.

I don't think there are any "official" rules for glow golf, but in this neck of the woods (we play an organized event every Friday night at the Blockhouse Disc Golf & Country Club), using any type of flashlight - including an iPhone app - during night play is extremely bad form & will earn the user a tongue-lashing, if not more serious sanction. A good glow golf TD will put big glowsticks or headlamps on each basket before play commences.

Since its (I assume) not a pdga sanctioned tournament and played under unusual circumstances its pretty hard to say definately whats legal or not.

But I would assume on night rounds that the lights set up by the TD is what you have to play by and otherwise follow pdga rules.

If the td lights it up. game on. its all about fun. If they say ahead of time no lights, oh well. Deal wit it. otherwise I say shine away!

Frank and Martin make very valid points! Brightest flashlight app for droid works wonders for a timely blinding of your friends while they are putting 15 footers. For cold weather night golf you need whiskey or schnapps and warm weather its gotta be a good beer.

Next Wednesday i'm asking the td. Maybe i'll show up with 9 glow sticks to light up the baskets and see if they let it fly.

Got it, thread closed. He was in the group behind us. I know that guy, hes alright but Timmy the week before didn't say it was illegal and I saw other groups doing it. This is a friendly league with only about 30 players, $6 am $7 open. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Frank Delicious said:
If you don't carry a flashlight to blind competitors during night golf, you're doing it wrong.

I have found that the http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133 to be one of the best lights for night golf.

I use the light very briefly to locate the basket for people not familiar with the course and to locate discs.

It is up to the league whether to allow flashlights for purposes other than locating discs. I find it agrivating when people take extra time locating glowstick discs without lights, but I use leds mostly during my night rounds.

Fritz said:
lol, just read this on dgcr.

hehe

btw, it is illegal at Westside Wednesdays. Timmay is the interim league director and doesn't know the rules.

Night golf is supposed to be challenging.

Srsly?

As far as night golf goes, It's encouraged to take a Flashlight...but lighting up the basket? Why even play glow golf if you're going to point your flashlight or headlamp on the basket and light it up for every shot...The point is you're not supposed to see the basket, that's part of the challenge of night golf.

We usually stick glow sticks in the chains or on top so we know the general area we should be throwing but never do we light up the whole basket.

Kids these days...

himynameismatt said:
As far as night golf goes, It's encouraged to take a Flashlight...
If you fire up a flashlight at Grange (I mean Blockhouse) glow golf, you'll find yourself punched right in your bloody twat.

Latest posts