• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Not having a specific putting putter

Prince Vegeta

Bogey Member
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but does anyone not have a specific putter for putting only? Do you put and throw the same putter? I see in the bags of Klimo and Philo with only 3 aviars and no specific "putting putter" and it makes me curious. To me it seems like a convoluted idea invented by disc golf companies to have a specific putter for only putting. If the molds are the same and plastic is the same does it matter?

None of the discs I carry have one specific purpose. I only carry three discs, so all of them serve multiple purposes. If i want to throw a putter off the tee or for an upshot, it's the same Aviar I'm using to putt with. Often as not, I'll end up putting out with my Roc because my putter is on the ground from an upshot and I'm too lazy to mark it.

To me it seems like a convoluted idea invented by disc golf companies to have a specific putter for only putting. If the molds are the same and plastic is the same does it matter?

Most people develop a bond with their putter. Putters last for years because baskets don't kill discs. Start throwing your putting putter for drives and you are likely to take a gouge out of it which would distract you when putting, or even affect the flight.

Most people develop a bond with their putter. Putters last for years because baskets don't kill discs. Start throwing your putting putter for drives and you are likely to take a gouge out of it which would distract you when putting, or even affect the flight.

Wouldn't this be the reason to have more than one?

I have a putter that I call my putting putter, but I throw it off the tee and use it for upshots sometimes. I have a driving putter, but I putt with it sometimes. It just kinda depends. The putting putter is more beat in so if I have a putter drive that I need to turn, there you go.

I actually lost the putting putter on a tee shot and didn't get it back for over a year. I just put another Warlock in the bag and I never decided on a role for either of them. The "putting" putter has a slightly tackier feel so it feels like it has a little more grip. Once it was gone the two putters I had in the bag felt identical so there really wasn't any reason to call one the putting putter. One was more beat so off the tee they had stable/overstable roles, but putting made no difference.

Now that the putting putter is back, the routine is easier to just default grab it when lining up a putt. It's habit more than anything.

If I was making a living throwing golf discs, this would probably all be different.

I carry two putting putters. Same color and both max weight. I only putt and jump putt with them. Upshots and off the tee I use other putters to save my putting putters wear and tear. I don't have a stack off putting putters either. I just use my two for practice. I go through my whole routine when I practice. Short 15 minutes so I can stay focused the whole time.

I don't have a specific putting putter. I tried it for a while, just never worked for me.

I hate the feel of new plastic, I like my discs scuffed up and used. So the discs I putt with are also my throwers. I have a stack of them (Yeti Aviars) that I practice with and play putter only rounds with, so I know hem all well. When I play, I bag and putt with two, one beat straight and one with fade, and switch up between the two for putting duties dependent on the wind.

Been doing it this way for the last 6 years and it hasn't caused me any problems.

I don't have a specific putting putter. I tried it for a while, just never worked for me.

I hate the feel of new plastic, I like my discs scuffed up and used. So the discs I putt with are also my throwers. I have a stack of them (Yeti Aviars) that I practice with and play putter only rounds with, so I know hem all well. When I play, I bag and putt with two, one beat straight and one with fade, and switch up between the two for putting duties dependent on the wind.

Been doing it this way for the last 6 years and it hasn't caused me any problems.
Generally my putting putter (if I have one) is just an old driving putter. If I switch to a new disc that I've never thrown (last time I can remember doing that was when Yeti's came out) I don't have a putting putter as generally then you just have 2-3 identical new discs. It would seem weird to me to anoint any special roles to identical discs.

I also do not have a "stack" of practice putters. I practice with three, so I have three extra putters floating around that I could use as a replacement putter. When I lost my putter I didn't put any of them in the bag, though. I got an unthrown one out of the stash. *shrug*

I always carry a pair of putting putters that I never throw or use for upshots.
Just the way I like to do it.

You do whatever you want.

Same. I have two putting putters and their sole purpose in my bag it for putting.

I actually have a putter that is the same mold and plastic that is my dedicated throwing putter.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Same. I have two putting putters and their sole purpose in my bag it for putting.

I actually have a putter that is the same mold and plastic that is my dedicated throwing putter.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Nah. Just different strokes for . . . well, you know.

I play a lot by myself. so I'll throw an upshot or drive with a putter and say, hey, I want to try that again, so away go my once held putting putters. So that's why I no longer have designated putting putters. :p

I don't have a putting putter as generally then you just have 2-3 identical new discs. It would seem weird to me to anoint any special roles to identical discs.

It would seem weird to me to have two identical discs at all.

I keep throwing and putting putters separate these days. I used to throw and putt with the same discs, but have definitely had some instances where I warped my putters off a drive and it affected me (a little physical a little mental) using that disc to putt with.

So while I throw the same mold as I putt, they're still different tools for different jobs. I'm not limited in what I have to use, so that's what I'm most comfortable with.

Nah. Just different strokes for . . . well, you know.
^This.
There are several different approaches* players subscribe to when it comes to putters. I don't think any of them are inherently better than the others, but some work better for certain players than others. The trick is finding what works for YOU.

*pardon the pun

I am using different molds for driving/approaching vs putting. I like the Wizard for putting and Envy for straight driving/approach. But maybe someday I will find a putter that i like for putting and driving. I also use Zone and Sol for drives/approaches that need overstable/understable flights...but these are really just slow mid range discs, right?

It would seem weird to me to have two identical discs at all.
Say I get a wild hair and decide I want to putt Pures. I don't have any Pures and I've never thrown a Pure, but it seems like a valid idea, right? I go online and buy two Pures. They are probably different colors but otherwise they are two new Pures, same weight and plastic. I put them in the bag and frolf on. I'm not going to take them and go "the red one is the putting putter and the white one is the driving putter"; they are basically identical discs. That's the scenario I was describing.

Say I get a wild hair and decide I want to putt Pures. I don't have any Pures and I've never thrown a Pure, but it seems like a valid idea, right? I go online and buy two Pures. They are probably different colors but otherwise they are two new Pures, same weight and plastic. I put them in the bag and frolf on. I'm not going to take them and go "the red one is the putting putter and the white one is the driving putter"; they are basically identical discs. That's the scenario I was describing.

The part I don't understand is why you would bag both discs. I will usually bag one until they are no longer identical due to wear, at which point I add the fresh one.

I use the DD Warden, in classic blend, to putt with and only putt with. I did buy a Lucid Warden, but didn't like the feel of it, so I bought an Innova Bullfrog to replace it as an upshot disc. I use a Westside Maiden for my putter drives because it's a bit more overstable and can fly a bit farther.

I strongly recommend having a putter just for putting so you don't wear it out a lot quicker by throwing it into trees, rocks, and such on drives.

To many rocks and sharp boulders in the farway, no way i would throw my putting putter. .

I have a putting putter and once that gets to beat up i retire that one for putting and get a new one. . the old ony gets to be a throwing putter

Latest posts