• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Best High Glide Putters?

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Got another question about putters (I'm starting to actually care about putting lately, practicing more, and getting better). So I really want to dial in my putters, as I'm noticing my scores going down, JUST because of the slight increase in consistency and making some longer 20-30' putts more often in a rd.

So I'm looking to add a high glide, super straight putter to my bag, to compliment my regular putters (right now it's some old P2's) for longer distance putts. So for me, since I'm still not even a decent putter (30' or more is long to me) I rarely make putts longer than that. And my % of making putts past 20' is also very low.

And last weekend I played with a guy that had a neat putter, it was an MVP, I think it was called a Nomad? And he said it was a high glide super straight, long distance putter. So he let me try it a few times and I could tell right away that it flew different than my putters. I gave it the same amount of power as I would have for the distance and it just kept going and was super straight. I kept missing high and little right. Which makes sense, since it has more glide and is straighter than my putters. And I was very intrigued by it. And started thinking of how I could shave off even more strokes if I had a putter that went in more from longer distances. Or at least allowed me to get really close more often. I end up putting all sorts of horrible body english and bad form into my longer 40-80' putts and sometimes end up really far away and 3 putt. Which is just pathetic. So I started thinking that if I could add a higher glide super straight putter to my bag, I could shave off another 1-3 strokes per 18 holes. And another putter in place of one my many FW's or drivers would be a much smarter disc to have. I'm not going to be shaving strokes off my rd by having 10-15 FW's/Drivers in my bag. But adding a putter that helps me make 1-2 long putts, and get me close the other times will!

So I'm just looking for some good suggestions. Nothing with crazy glide that goes forever 20' past the basket if you miss. But more than the normal 3 that most putters have. So I'm thinking 4, maybe 5 glide? And also, I'd really like it to be super straight in it's flight, with almost or no fade at all. If thrown flat, it just keeps going straight.

Also, my favorite putters for feel/shape are the Pure and old S line P2's. Not too deep, but not too shallow. I love the feel of shallow discs and putters, but for some reason, shallow putters (like my Reko or Link) just aren't that consistent and I don't make that many longer putts with them. Whereas I make more putts with my P2's and my Opto Glimmer Pure (that I usually only throw with). Go figure. Also no large beads or anything that catches your finger easily. I like a putter that just glides out of your hand. If it has a small round bead that doesn't affect the release, then I'm fine with it.

The few putters I've seen so far that seem to be like what I'm looking for are the Mercy, Keystone, Nomad, Warden, and a Pilot. But I'm sure there are others.

Thanks

More understable, slower, deeper and lighter putters will glide farther when putted; polecats, lightweight beat in aviars, etc.

Some people do good work with suoer glidey putters, but it exposes you a lot more to wind gusts and gliding way past the basket. The real answer here is probably getting a mildly decent jump putt, to the point that you can at least comfirtably lay up from 40-80' with it.

Height, anhyzer and power will all give you distance but a smooth release and a more conservative line will give you more consistency.

Edit: could also just get good at baby tosses, most people can throw a disc a lot farther than 80' without trying too hard, so if you can just find the right release and power to not blow past then that's another good option.

'm not going to be shaving strokes off my rd by having 10-15 FW's/Drivers in my bag. But adding a putter that helps me make 1-2 long putts, and get me close the other times will!

I'm going to be one of those annoying guys that doesn't answer the question you asked, but instead will give you an alternative fix that you'd probably discover eventually on your own. But if you're willing to try it, then perhaps you can save some time in getting there.

The secret to being able to make more long range putts while also reducing the distance on your comeback putts isn't to get a floaty/glidey putter. Why? Because even if that floaty putter does somehow make you a better putter from 60-80', the misses are going to be even worse. You're going to blow by the basket more on misses, and find yourself with even more 20-25' comebackers. For every one extra canned long range putt, you'll probably end up with 4-5 extra kneeknocker comebackers. You need to make about 80% of those to break even, and be around 90% from 25' to actually come out ahead. Or at least that's what my results showed.

So what's the alternative? Get good with a super slow/stable/low glide disc. And learn to be confortable tossing a nice and easy approach shot from 60-80' rather than putting a whole bunch of weird body english on your putting motion to get it there. I use a Berg for this. I make more "upshots" from long C2/just outside C2 than I ever did when I tried to putt from those distances. And when I miss, the disc just drops under the basket more often than not. I VERY rarely three putt since I went to this strategy.

So in summary:
-Putting with glidey putter from C2 edge = slightly more made putts, but way more three putts.
-Use your upshot form with ridiculously slow/low glide disc = slightly more made putts also, and also way fewer three putts.

More glidey putters didn't help me for making putts beyond 20 to 25 feet. Developing more spin on my putt helped. Previously I was majority push with some spin, now I'm majority spin with some push. Now anything up to 40 feet I feel confident in getting to the basket on a standstill, and anything up to circle 2's edge I feel confident in giving it a big with an anhyzer putt.

I do love the Streamline Pilot though. It is quite glidey, but still has a dependable fade at the end. If you want something that's super glidey with almost no fade to it, I suggest a Mirage/Fierce/Polecat.

I'm going to be one of those annoying guys that doesn't answer the question you asked, but instead will give you an alternative fix that you'd probably discover eventually on your own. But if you're willing to try it, then perhaps you can save some time in getting there.

The secret to being able to make more long range putts while also reducing the distance on your comeback putts isn't to get a floaty/glidey putter. Why? Because even if that floaty putter does somehow make you a better putter from 60-80', the misses are going to be even worse. You're going to blow by the basket more on misses, and find yourself with even more 20-25' comebackers. For every one extra canned long range putt, you'll probably end up with 4-5 extra kneeknocker comebackers. You need to make about 80% of those to break even, and be around 90% from 25' to actually come out ahead. Or at least that's what my results showed.

So what's the alternative? Get good with a super slow/stable/low glide disc. And learn to be confortable tossing a nice and easy approach shot from 60-80' rather than putting a whole bunch of weird body english on your putting motion to get it there. I use a Berg for this. I make more "upshots" from long C2/just outside C2 than I ever did when I tried to putt from those distances. And when I miss, the disc just drops under the basket more often than not. I VERY rarely three putt since I went to this strategy.

So in summary:
-Putting with glidey putter from C2 edge = slightly more made putts, but way more three putts.
-Use your upshot form with ridiculously slow/low glide disc = slightly more made putts also, and also way fewer three putts.

It depends on how he putts though as well.

When I was a high spin more line drive putter I definitely would not want a understable/high glide/straight putter. Any airballs from 35 feet on out and I had a 25-30 foot comebacker.

Now if you either putt more nose down and/or with more speed control and loft then you can putt with a glider putter and even then switch to a different putter when the wind is up. That's basically what I do now. Not quite Greg Barsby in height for sure but using loft to control the pace and still give it a chance. The OS putters actually are worse at a higher floaty run because they will just fade out so much. So going more understable helps keep the putt on line and still staying within 15-20 feet.

I think there are many variables at play (how much spin, height nose angle, hyzer/anyhayzer/flat?) here and it's not necessarily one size fits all. I do agree though in general the higher the spin and speed you are you should be going to a lower glide putter to minimize the 3 putts. Though it depends on how good you are too. Eagle and Simon are hitting chains or basket at a very high rate, they can afford to be more agressive. Most people can't though.

You didn't ask for advice (that I saw) so I won't give any except to say the technique section of DGCR is a goldmine.

I use an R-Pro Dart as a long straight glidey putter for runs outside the circle. I also sometime use the Plastic Addicts Habit but usually I save that for touchy approach shots. A Gateway Magic is very good for long puts as well because it is so straight, if you are into Gateway putter plastics (yummy).

Best of luck!

So I'm looking to add a high glide, super straight putter to my bag, to compliment my regular putters (right now it's some old P2's) for longer distance putts. So for me, since I'm still not even a decent putter (30' or more is long to me) I rarely make putts longer than that. And my % of making putts past 20' is also very low.

Simon tried P1s for a while because he wanted something straighter with less effort than P2s. Sounds like something along those lines.

Classic Aviar, Pilot, Swan

Beat putters tend to be straighter with more glide.

But if you aren't making a high percentage of putts from 20-30' then it is less of a disc selection issue. It is the putting equivalent of someone looking for a magic disc to throw past 300' for the first time. Once you find a putter that is comfortable in hand, reps with a practice basket at home is the real fix.

beat in aviars

The real answer here is probably getting a mildly decent jump putt, to the point that you can at least comfirtably lay up from 40-80' with it.

This is what works for me. From about 100' to C1, I jump putt with a beat Classic Aviar.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Way more technique advice then disc suggestions, but good info non the less. I guess I'll just try a glidey putter that I like the feel of, and play around with it for a few months, see if it hurts me or helps me. I know that as I play more and get better, that will solve this issue more than likely. We'll see though, thanks again

What I like with something like a Dagger is that on dangerous greens I can loft it quite high and give it a chance and if I my miss it drops right under basket and very seldom rolls. I do practice a fair bit on height control for putting just for the reason to have a chance giving more bids without to much risk.

I also use a Berg for most upshots that are beyond my comfortable "giving it a bid" range since it will just sit down and have minimal ground action.

So the biggest hole then is high wind putts. The Berg is pretty good inside the circle but outside I do think having a proper spin put would be best but it is hard putting good with two styles

Disc advice- Try a lighter or more beat up version of the putter you already use and like the feel of.
Real advice- if you are currently not good outside of 20 you need reps more than a different putter. Get your legs more involved in the ones at the outside of your range.

I have to agree with its more you than the disc.

But, if your looking for a disc to cover some ground dead straight with little effort, the Nova is hard to beat. The bad thing is if you run a long putt chain high and don't draw metal it will go a long ways past the basket. Also, the Nova is pretty deep and the weird outer rim is kind of attached with rivets so you might hate the hand feel.

Also, I believe Jeremy Koling actually putts with some fairly light weight putters because he feels he gets more range on his putts. I believe someone already mentioned it but maybe look into your go-to putter in a lighter weight if you want a little more distance.

I had a tendency of missing my longer putts low and when Discmania was unable to produce P2s for over a year I decided to drop it and switch to the lower glide KC Aviar instead. The low glide force me to commit to the putt and if I overshoot its not going to be a long comebacker anyways

Definitely try a more glidey putter from further out - either you will find that the extra oomf allows you to focus on accuracy, or like, it won't... but then lesson learned.

I usually prefer a more beat up and/or lighter version of my normal putter for longer go for attempts. Actually my best bet has always been putting an overstable, low glide putter on a lot of anny and swing it in from far. This seems to be the shot with the least ground play time after time.

Keystone is pretty neutral and has crazy glide, but I think it comes at the expense of control.

I like slow, glidey putters with as little fade as possible and my favorites are P1/P1x/Xero.

The few putters I've seen so far that seem to be like what I'm looking for are the Mercy, Keystone, Nomad, Warden, and a Pilot. But I'm sure there are others.

Thanks

Well I think you have your answer kind of, if you liked the nomad mess around with it. If softness is a thing a soft nomad or pilot would be good. Soft deputy is also a good suggestion and you like your pure.. So you kind of have stuff figured.

Don't throw away your P2's but if you find something that feels awesome in your hand stick with it, the rest will come.

Has anybody Prerubed this thing yet? Where's Grip when you need him :popcorn:

There's been tons of great options listed already, which are all easy to find info about anywhere.

More importantly, many of the responses have pointed you in the right direction technique wise.

Try a Berg/Zone/Pig/Rhyno/Slammer/Harp/Aviar 3 etc. and put the thing in range. Practice putting in C1. There's no magic discs out there.

Latest posts