• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OB question...

chumley

I'm a little confused on how many strokes an OB constitutes...If I throw OB and there is a drop box, I only gain one stroke, right? For example, my drive sends me out of bound, I retrieve it, go to the drop box and make it from there. 3 strokes, right? I'm being told 4 and that doesn't add up to me. Thanks in advance.

Did the person claiming it's a 4 give any reasoning for that claim?

1. Drive (OB)
2. Penalty Stroke
3. Drop Zone throw into basket

Adds up to 3.
Are they trying to assess a different penalty, other than OB?

i bet the confusion arises from situations where there is not a drop zone but a re-tee. some people forget to include their first drive, thus it is "add 2" in their mind.

As with anything that sounds off when it comes to someone quoting rules/penalties...ask them to back their claim up with the appropriate rule. Nothing stops an erroneous rules interpretation faster than, you know, the actual rule book.

pdga.com/rules

It should be a 3, as long as no other penalty was stated.

Did the person claiming it's a 4 give any reasoning for that claim?
All others have answered the question correctly, but like David, I'm curious about the rational behind you being told it should be a 4. Did they provide a reason, or can you provide more details that might help us see where they were coming from (even if we disagree).

No reason, I'm just told to add two. Even if there is no drop zone, they say throw from the point you went out of bounds and add two.

No reason, I'm just told to add two. Even if there is no drop zone, they say throw from the point you went out of bounds and add two.

No, No, No, No.....

OB is one penalty stroke!!!!!

OB off the tee:
One out (threw out of bounds), one in (one stroke penalty to bring it back into play), laying two, throwing your third shot. If you make that shot, you have a three.

No exceptions...unless the TD declares it beforehand.
I have seen a European tourney (Estonian Open?) where there was a two-stroke penalty for hitting a house that was OB. But that rule was clearly displayed at the tee.

No, No, No, No.....

OB is one penalty stroke!!!!!

OB off the tee:
One out (threw out of bounds), one in (one stroke penalty to bring it back into play), laying two, throwing your third shot. If you make that shot, you have a three.

No exceptions...unless the TD declares it beforehand.
I have seen a European tourney (Estonian Open?) where there was a two-stroke penalty for hitting a house that was OB. But that rule was clearly displayed at the tee.

There's a local TD (who is on these boards now and then ;)) who has put a 2-stroke penalty for throwing OB into the tennis courts adjacent to one of the holes. And rightfully so. The other areas of OB such as roadway and missed mandos were the usual 1 stroke penalty.

hope there wasn't money on the line
cuz that's bull$hit :mad:

Seriously....

As with anything that sounds off when it comes to someone quoting rules/penalties...ask them to back their claim up with the appropriate rule. Nothing stops an erroneous rules interpretation faster than, you know, the actual rule book.

pdga.com/rules

If you're a PDGA member, you got a free one. Carry it.

If you're not a member, they're real cheap ($3), buy one and carry it.

If you don't want to buy one, the whole thing is online for free. Bookmark or download it on your phone, or print it out and carry it on the course.

Obviously there is only one stroke penalty for OB.

One misunderstanding I could see here is that, if the DZ is like it often is, the OB drive will usually result in a score of 4 from the hole as the DZ is too far for a put but offers a very easy upshot.

It sounds to me like they are saying, eg... you tee off and it goes OB, so you then go to the drop and add 2, meaning your drive was one, you add two strokes to that so you are now throwing 3.

Reminder: OB is a one-throw penalty, not one stroke. You won't find the word "stroke" in the rule book.

it could be just a semantics things

add two, your original throw plus one penalty. your first throw goes out, you add two throws to the amount of future throws.

Reminder: OB is a one-throw penalty, not one stroke. You won't find the word "stroke" in the rule book.

yay! fun with semantics!!! This is a more confusing topic for folks playing casually and I've come across it numerous times. I prefer DG for fun and OB's aren't fun...

*throws away the rule book*

I've come to look at it as what I am throwing for... if my drive goes OB I walk to the spot where the disc went OB and now I know I am throwing for 3 whereas if it hadn't gone OB I would be throwing for 2... if I sink it then I got that hole in 3 throws essentially... if you are writing this down on a scorecard it is a circle 3 indicating that the score was 3 and that there was a penalty of some kind imposed