• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

# of tournaments @ a Course

Billipo

Birdie Member
Just curious...

How many pdga events can a solid course reasonably support without dilluting player enthusiasm.

Assume there is a small staff to manage events, a stable of local players, interest in course from regional players, other equally challenging courses in area, and no sugar daddy sponsor.

Thanks.

It really depends what "solid" means. If it's a world-class course, or really any course I would consider a 3.5+, maybe 4+, I'd play as many tournaments they play there.

imo the number depends much more on the player base than on the course. burke lake in northern virginia is a mediocre course but will fill up 5-6 pdga events this year because they have a large active player base with a lot of disposable income.

I think one of the biggest factors would be how many other PDGA events at other courses in the area are run by other groups.

We run two tournaments a year at our home course with a small staff. Back in 2015, when there were very few tournaments in the Houston area, we could easily have run more tournaments and had ample demand. Now that there are more active groups and many more tournaments in the Houston area, it would be more difficult to run additional tournaments.

So many variables. How many players in a community, how many other good courses nearby, how saturated the tournament calendar in the area is, and what constitutes success.

I have a pet peeve when a course holds so many events that they suck some of the attendance out of other events in the area.

For myself, I'd prefer courses not hold more than 2 events a year. Maybe 3. Other than targeted events (juniors, women, team play, etc.).

I had requests one year as State Coordinator that would have put two different events run by two different teams on the same course for back to back weekends. I pushed back as I didn't want one event cannibalizing the other.

As others have indicated, there's no singular answer because there are too many variables:

How large is the local player base that's interested in playing tournaments?

How many other quality courses are those tournaments being played at?

Are you talking A, B, C tier events, and how many players from outside the area are those events attracting?

If you're just talking about strictly how many events can a course physically endure, I'd say it depends on the property in the maintenance of the course. The way I see it, some weekly leagues are as big as some small tournaments.

Last edited:
Is the OP asking about how many times a casual player can get bumped because there is a tournament before said casual player doesn't bother to go there anymore?

In areas like the Twin Cities where there are several tournament courses near each other, certain courses can be used in tandem with other courses in larger events. Plus, we now have sanctioned leagues and other formats than singles with doubles, match play, Ice bowl, Ace Race, etc. that might all be played on a specific course.

Is the OP asking about how many times a casual player can get bumped because there is a tournament before said casual player doesn't bother to go there anymore?

I don't think so....I assume "diluting player enthusiasm" refers to tournament players.

Just trying to see how many tournaments a course can support as a dont miss "event " where players Mark it on their calendar versus the attitude I can play this one or just catch the next one.

If they're the same type of events---regular, sanctioned, divisions, singles---I would think that after 2, they cease to be "can't miss". There's another chance coming around in a few months.

If the events are different---doubles, masters+, whatever---each event might be "can't miss", at least for some people.

Really focusing with post on PDGA tournament events and as an administrator.

Enthusiastic new players would love the more the merrier events so all their play counts towards their newly discovered pdga ratings. This is not realistic. Obviously they just show up and play without contributing to event prep effort.

As an administrator, regarding participation, i consider sucess a combination of both number the of players and the quality of players. These numbers are relative to past events same course.

Looking for a number of events meeting these patticipation goals. While obviously being solid in other aspects of running an event including avoiding club burn-out.

Hopefully this helps clarify. I appreciate feedback already posted.

Just curious...

How many pdga events can a solid course reasonably support without dilluting player enthusiasm.

Assume there is a small staff to manage events, a stable of local players, interest in course from regional players, other equally challenging courses in area, and no sugar daddy sponsor.

Thanks.

Per year or overall?

We (Shoals Frisbee Club, about 6-7 of us work on events) in Florence, AL currently schedule 1 b tier and 2 c tiers. the b tier is a 2 day that involves all 3 courses in april, one c tier uses the 2 city courses for a one day in july, and another c tier uses the state park course only outside of town in the fall.

I agree that too many sanctioned events at a course will cause people to get apathetic about events. We try to focus it all into our B tier, and people will see the effort and come back for our others. We have a lot of repeat out of town players that attend all of our events.

Latest posts