• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
For a year or two, the PDGA offered multiple skill levels in the age-protected amateur divisions. (Advanced Masters, Intermediate Masters, or something like that). I don't think there were many takers, and it was a bit silly splitting small divisions into even smaller pieces.

I'd be all over Rec Masters. :D I don't play Adv Masters around here because they usually play half or all rounds from the long tees, and I just don't have the arm to make that at all enjoyable. I played Adv Masters at Ledgestone one year, mainly because I liked two of the courses more than the ones I would have played where I belong (Rec), and they generally used reasonable tees. I got whupped, but had a good time with my cardmates.

Similar here. It is common to see an eight player MA50 with 6-7 players over 900. Tis a great group of guys that play a majority of area tournaments. The competition is also pretty intense.....like who has the most motrin, who has the nicest, post round lawn chair and who can pick the nicest oak tree to recover under. :D

Now I remember that nice lawn chair you had at the ace race last year

Gotta get me one of those

I'm a 72 year old player with a current rating of 764. I will normally play the highest age division offered even though my rating says I should be playing rec. I prefer playing with guys closer to my age. I have played in rec a couple of times but that was so I could be on the same card with my son and grandson. (We had a great time playing together.)

There are very few MA60+ players around here apparently because I'm usually the only one in the division. I always tell the TD to move me if he wants to but they usually don't so I end up "winning" my division. If you look at my PDGA page (112291) you will see that I have 4 career "wins" because of this. (They give me no great pleasure BTW)

I don't do this to cherry pick winnable tournaments but I'm trying to represent older players in the hopes that maybe more older guys will see this and come out. Probably won't accomplish much with that, but I can always hope. :)

Some guy playing music out of his crappy smart phone speaker. Besides the fact that it's just annoying and rude, it's never any music that anyone wants to listen to. I don't give a crap about your Scandinavian alternative ska band.

I love distortion in speakers, it gives music that teenage feel. Takes me back to hanging out with my idiot friends that always turned it up way too loud on a crappy stereo because louder is better! Right?

I love distortion in speakers, it gives music that teenage feel. Takes me back to hanging out with my idiot friends that always turned it up way too loud on a crappy stereo because louder is better! Right?

Are you saying that my Boston 8 track tape didn't sound awesome cranked up on my Kraco speakers in 1980?

Wanna fight?

My 1st car was '76 Maverick that I paid $800 for in 1984. I literally spent more on the stereo I put in it.

Aahhh.... to be young and able to spend money frivolously again.

Then again, the stereo did last longer than the car. :|

'71 Mustang Grande. Big fat engine -I think it was a 302...I delivered pizza in that bad boy. Front wheels were stock, back were the Crager Solar 10 rims. I could only afford the two, you know.

Tootsie Roll Brown, faded to a true Doo Doo Brown. Fabric upholstery was shredded like Ricky Bobby's daddy's car must've looked after the cougar was done with it...

8-track player. KISS Double Platinum on constant play. Great Jensen speakers, though.

The only disc I had ever thrown was a freestyle on the beach. And I was good at it. I'm sure Olde-Tymers hated my guts back then...

:D

My 1st car was '76 Maverick that I paid $800 for in 1984. I literally spent more on the stereo I put in it.

I wonder if my old 79 Grenada with so much smoke coming out the back that I used to pull in front of buses (For a little payback), could have outrun your Maverick?:\

'78 Malibu two door, 305, cool golden brown, tonneau cover, factory mags.. bench seat, Clarion deck, Alpine amp, Kenwood double 10's and JBL tweets.

And I threw a Scorpion.

'74 Maverick. The nicest thing anyone ever said about it was "as least you aren't driving a Pinto." :| It lasted me seven years, but eventually there was no more fixing it without replacing the engine. Leaving it at the junkyard was one of the saddest days of my life.

30 years later a little bit of it is still on my desk.

picture.php

Now thinking back on it, I have no idea how I lived through seven years of driving that deathtrap. :eek:

My first car was a 65 chevelle and I paid a case of beer for it. Let's just say I got my money's worth. The trunk was dinged up and had to be tied down with a rope. It had no reverse. It was kind of a drag looking for places I could park without having to get out and push.

I once took that car on a 3-hour road trip to a Pink Floyd concert, and had to stop and tighten a bolt to slow down a headgasket leak that was dripping oil onto the exhaust manifold. Naturally I snapped the head off the bolt, made the leak worse, and had to limp into a shop to get help. The friends riding with me were sure regretting their choices. We did make it to the concert eventually! :D

I'm the age of those who had malaise cars as their first. Mine was a crappy '79 Malibu, as malaise as it gets, a decrepit car handed down from my parents. It turned 10 when I turned 16. I won't bicker too much about it, though, because it delivered me to my first-ever Disc Golf course. And it was free. Yes, you generally get what you pay for.

Ugh, the memories of trying to start the damned thing and finding that fine line between not enough gas and flooding it!

Latest posts