• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old player returning, need plastic advice

I will say, not sure when the zone and harp came out, but one of those two seem to be the biggest game changer that I've noticed. I throw the harp and it's an incredible disc.

I have a Big Z Zone OS. On the very few holes where a pure hyzer putter throw is warranted, it's great. Otherwise, I haven't fallen in love with it, but maybe it's because it's a little too beefy for where my game is at. I feel like I should try a Harp. So many people seem to like them.

If you look up Drew Gibson in YouTube, he's got a nice series where he throws all the top sellers from infinite disc and gives his opinion on them.

I feel like Drew just tells you how far he can throw the disc. Not sure how helpful that is? But maybe I'm missing something.

Lastly, Marshall Street has great deals on x puts.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Yeah good intel in here. Just fwiw, I went out to chuck some plastic today and am reliably hitting that teebird to 275-300 and the 2 leopards and the river to about 250-275. This is all with x stepping. Imma check some of these threads out.

Nice! I'm close to that, probably averaging 330ish with my eagles in field work and 300 on controlled golf lines. I think there two paths myself (and you) could take at the current power level to get to throwing 375ish, maybe 400. We could either take advantage of modern technology and go get one of the fast, understable max D drivers like a Tern or a Shryke. One of those two would add 50-75 feet to your drives really quickly. Option B would be to keep working on form until you are pushing your fairways out to 375ish, then disc up to a stable distance driver like a PD. This approach is discussed in the build a bag thread and that is the route I'm going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Big Z Zone OS. On the very few holes where a pure hyzer putter throw is warranted, it's great. Otherwise, I haven't fallen in love with it, but maybe it's because it's a little too beefy for where my game is at. I feel like I should try a Harp. So many people seem to like them.

I feel like Drew just tells you how far he can throw the disc. Not sure how helpful that is? But maybe I'm missing something.

This vids from Drew is just a nice comprehensive overview of the popular discs available from every manufacturer. Also, I love the sound the discs make when they leave Drew's hand, so there's that.

Harp is pretty beefy as well. I've actually been using my most stable roc for the shots I had been reaching for the harp on, and I'm happy with the results. Rocs power down really well.

I realize that build a bag thread is old, but I think the advice is really sound, probably even more important today with so many options. Buying a new disc is fun, I love the anticipation of having a disc on the way, reading about others experiences with it, then going out to see how it flys. That said, I've become a much better golfer since I stopped buying discs, pulled everything out of the bag except the 4 slots he suggest, and just tried to learn every shot with those 4 molds. I now have a beat dx roc and a beat dx eagle to go along with a fresh dx roc and fresh dx eagle. Those 4 discs, along with my putter, cover like 95% of the shots I need during a round.

They make a Zone OS?????

1. I'm probably throwing about 200-250 now I'd guess?
2. To answer q1 in q2 I'd say 300 max.
4. 82. I'm not "old" but I've been around.

Throwing 250-300 @ 82 years old. That's sooo much awesome, much respect sir! :thmbup: :clap:

They make a Zone OS?????

My apologies, I think I confused myself. That or the seller did.

I ordered two discs at the same time. These were discs sold by Foundation Disc golf with a custom Zach "Stumbles" stamp on them. They only offered 3 molds, and the driver was sold out. One was a Buzzz OS and the other was a Zone. I thought that the web description was of a Zone OS, but it may have just said that the Zone is overstable. No way to tell anymore what it said. Looking at the receipt, it just says that they are a Z Zone and a Z Buzzz OS

Regardless, the Zone is hella beefy. The rim feels so much thicker than any other disc I have thrown. At least from the standpoint that the rim is both wide and deep (as opposed to the rim on distance driver which is wide but thin/shallow).

My apologies, I think I confused myself. That or the seller did.

I ordered two discs at the same time. These were discs sold by Foundation Disc golf with a custom Zach "Stumbles" stamp on them. They only offered 3 molds, and the driver was sold out. One was a Buzzz OS and the other was a Zone. I thought that the web description was of a Zone OS, but it may have just said that the Zone is overstable. No way to tell anymore what it said. Looking at the receipt, it just says that they are a Z Zone and a Z Buzzz OS

Regardless, the Zone is hella beefy. The rim feels so much thicker than any other disc I have thrown. At least from the standpoint that the rim is both wide and deep (as opposed to the rim on distance driver which is wide but thin/shallow).

I bet you would like the Harp, it's slightly less stable, I think it's slower, and it's beaded. Also, I can't stand Z plastic(or champion) The harp in BT hard plastic feels really good in the hand. Just curious - you have a Buzzz OS - have you found some shots that you need a different OS mid to hit?

I bet you would like the Harp, it's slightly less stable, I think it's slower, and it's beaded. Also, I can't stand Z plastic(or champion) The harp in BT hard plastic feels really good in the hand. Just curious - you have a Buzzz OS - have you found some shots that you need a different OS mid to hit?

The Buzzz OS and the Zone are two very different discs, generally filling two slots in most bags. All beef is not created equal.

Funnily enough, I went over to Marshall Street and ordered that exact one, a Bt Hard Harp (and a few other things), last night. Partly because I follow a youtube channel called DailyDiscGolf and Noah seems to really lean on that exact disc as an approach disc, especially for flicks. Seemed worth a try.

I've been working on my sidearm game, as it seems a little more reliable than turnovers, if I can get them right. I don't really have any disc slower than a leopard that I feel comfortable sidearming at the moment. I think it's the overall height of the disc, perhaps. Perhaps some of it is that I don't like the traditional sidearm grip, but I love the "power grip" for the sidearm. Finding that was revolutionary. That and the Scott Stokely "more wrist snap less follow through" advice.

I'm not a big fan of the few discs I have in Champion, either. Or rather, I really love my Wombat3, but I don't like the Champion plastic. Too many early releases feeling the disc slip out of the hand. We'll see if the Star Wombat3 fits the bill.

I don't mind the Z plastic, but it's not what I would call comfortable at the moment.

I really like the Opto plastic from Latitude64 for some reason. It may just be that it works really with the Compass mold, though. I really like that Compass. Way better than I like the Star Roc I have.

As to the Buzzz OS, I ordered that mostly because I liked the stamp and wanted to support that youtuber. But I didn't have an overstable mid or putter, and it was a real joy to throw some pure hyzer shots, with (relatively) lots of power put into them. I just don't seem have much call for them on most of the courses in my area. Lots of turnover or sidearm lines, or fairly mild hyzer lines (and, unfortunately I don't really like the sidearm with these discs yet, which Zach throws all the time).

I don't know whether either the Buzzz OS or the Zone will stay in the bag for the moment, though. They just don't quite feel like "it". Not the way some other discs do. I can easily see myself finding an overstable mid I like better. The Zone could stay in as a utility disc for some very "get out of jail" needs, at least for now.

I mean, I carry around way more disc than I use in a round anyway. Mostly I keep about 6 or 7 discs in the top of my backpack and that takes care of 95% of the shots ATM, partially because I haven't got the power to through more yet (and I am playing mostly short rec level courses).

But right now there are only four molds that are solid in my bag. The (GStar) Leopard, the (Opto) Compass, a 159g Electron Soft MVP Atom that just flloooooaaats to the basket on upshots, and my putting putter is a Pro-D Challenger.

I have an Opto Explorer (Tristan Tanner "Van Life " stamp) that seems like it will likely stick. I might trade the Leopard out for a Leopard3.

Eventually I'll settle on probably 9 to 11 discs until I get my arm speed up. The idea would be to have overstable, neutral and understable fairway drivers and mids, plus a selection of upshot discs and a putting putter.

Sorry for the "TMI". I tend to overexplain everything.

Last edited:
The Buzzz OS and the Zone are two very different discs, generally filling two slots in most bags. All beef is not created equal.

Not doubting this at all, but can you go into more detail into how they are "very different"? I'm sure I don't have the game yet to make these differences show, I'm just curious. To me the difference felt more like just a question of the distance they were going to go, with the Zone being a little slower/shorter. I can throw them both on fairly similar lines with the same swing.

Not doubting this at all, but can you go into more detail into how they are "very different"? I'm sure I don't have the game yet to make these differences show, I'm just curious. To me the difference felt more like just a question of the distance they were going to go, with the Zone being a little slower/shorter. I can throw them both on fairly similar lines with the same swing.

I don't bag a Buzzz OS, but I do throw a Zone. They both come in a couple/few plastics, so those would all fly slightly different.

The Buzzz is a midrange disc and the Zone is a putter. By definition the Buzzz should go a little further. I also do not forehand approch, so I don't flick either disc.

The Buzzz has more glide that the Zone, as well as a higher speed rating.

The Zone is a brick for the most part.

The Buzzz can catch a skip at the end of its flight, where the Zone is less likely to skip.

Those are a couple primary differences, maybe someone that bags both can weigh in. I probably don't have the arm speed to make good use of the Buzzz, I throw a Prodigy M1 in that slot or work a Discraft Nebula on the hyzer angle.

I really like the Opto plastic from Latitude64 for some reason. It may just be that it works really with the Compass mold, though. I really like that Compass. Way better than I like the Star Roc I have.

As to the Buzzz OS, I ordered that mostly because I liked the stamp and wanted to support that youtuber. But I didn't have an overstable mid or putter, and it was a real joy to throw some pure hyzer shots, with (relatively) lots of power put into them. I just don't seem have much call for them on most of the courses in my area. Lots of turnover or sidearm lines, or fairly mild hyzer lines (and, unfortunately I don't really like the sidearm with these discs yet, which Zach throws all the time).

I don't know whether either the Buzzz OS or the Zone will stay in the bag for the moment, though. They just don't quite feel like "it". Not the way some other discs do. I can easily see myself finding an overstable mid I like better. The Zone could stay in as a utility disc for some very "get out of jail" needs, at least for now.

I mean, I carry around way more disc than I use in a round anyway. Mostly I keep about 6 or 7 discs in the top of my backpack and that takes care of 95% of the shots ATM, partially because I haven't got the power to through more yet (and I am playing mostly short rec level courses).

But right now there are only four molds that are solid in my bag. The (GStar) Leopard, the (Opto) Compass, a 159g Electron Soft MVP Atom that just flloooooaaats to the basket on upshots, and my putting putter is a Pro-D Challenger.

I have an Opto Explorer (Tristan Tanner "Van Life " stamp) that seems like it will likely stick. I might trade the Leopard out for a Leopard3.

Eventually I'll settle on probably 9 to 11 discs until I get my arm speed up. The idea would be to have overstable, neutral and understable fairway drivers and mids, plus a selection of upshot discs and a putting putter.

Sorry for the "TMI". I tend to overexplain everything.

Not TMI, I love talking about disc selection and building bags. Kinda hijacked the thread but hopefully the OP is getting something out of all the conversations.
So there's a lot of talk out there around "mold minimization." I'm going to try to sell you and anyone else who is reading this on the idea. I used to do what you seem to be doing, which is get a different mold for every slot. You end up with somewhere between 9-12 different molds, sometimes more if you get really specialized. I read the building a bag sticky, followed the advice, and my game has improved by leaps and bounds. There's a few reason for this. First off, field work is so much more productive when you're not out there throwing around 10 different molds. My field sessions used to be just throwing around a bunch of different molds and seeing how they fly. Now I'm laser focused. For example, today was my roc day. I hit the field with 10 rocs, most of them new, a few of them beat, all in dx plastic. I like to work on different shots for about 30 minutes at a time. So I started out throwing spike hyzers from all different distances, from 150 feet out to about 275. Really dialed in the angle of release I need to stick the disc where I want it. Figured out my max range. Had some wind kick up so was able to see how that affected my throws. After about 30 minutes I took a water break, watched some of my throws since I video myself, then moved on to throwing my next shot which was flex lines. Played around with the angle of release and different heights to see how it affected the flight. Tomorrow, I'm going to do the exact same thing with my Eagles. The next day I'll go out with my Banshees.
So now, let's say you and I play a round together. We both have 9 discs in the bag. Yours are 9 different molds, all with a different feel and flight pattern for OS, neutral, and US. Mine is 3 molds beaten in to various stabilities. Let's say we both step up to a 200 foot shot and need to throw a spike hyzer. You are trying to decide between the new harp you just got, a buzzz os, zone, or any other OS disc you might have. My choice is simple, either a banshee or a roc, and I've practiced this exact shot a hundred times the past week with both of those discs. Who is likely to be more consistent?
Here's some more benefits to mold minimization when starting out - the cost. 4 premium discs are probable going to run you $80. So you could pick up 4 different fairway drivers for the same price I'm getting 10 DX eagles. We'll both have all the same slots covered because the eagles are going to start out stable and beat in to cover the neutral and us slot. The difference is I have 10 of the exact same mold to maximize my field practice.
Lastly, this is something I haven't seen many people talk about, but if you build your beginner bag around common molds in base plastic, it's really easy to replace a beat disc just by going into a play it again sports. I can go down to my local play it again and find a bin full of beat rocs, wraiths, buzzes, etc, all for 6 bucks a pop.
Regarding your bag, I'd encourage you to decide between the compass and the leopard since they seem to overlap based on the flight numbers, then definitely add in that explorer. Learn to hit every type of shot with your Atom, one of the Compass or Leopard, and the Explorer, and ditch everything else for now. Guarantee your game will improve.

Last edited:
I've never really been able to "unlock" what I would consider the full potential of any disc (I have a degree in aeronautics).
I think you would like the thread "Explanation of the Physics of Flying Discs" Lots of fun, but be forewarned that there a bunch of half baked and incorrect theories in there. Maybe it will help you unlock the secrets of your discs.

1. I'm probably throwing about 200-250 now I'd guess?...

I think my goal is mostly to understand what's happened in the sport while I've been away. I don't really mind throwing Leopards or Gazelles or Rocs or...
Thanks for your thorough answers!
So you know where I'm coming from... I throw mostly Innova with a little Discraft, and I gave up years ago with trying all of the new plastic so my first hand knowledge of most other manufacturers is very limited. I'm 62 and always had a noodle arm.

Check out the InFlight Guide. That has been super helpful to me. I use the chart when I go to a store. But you need to know how it works for you. It is only a general guideline and I think it's based on the throws of younger, higher power throwers. To use it, see what they say about the Leopard or a disc you know well and compare how that disc works for you.

On the chart look at the discs on the understable side on the far right. They should fly pretty well for you. I look for narrow rim discs because the wider the rim they more they die left.

I will reiterate that light plastic is the way to go for distance drivers. Innova StarLite has worked great for me, but they stopped making that line. (Boo!) Also look for high glide discs. Light weight Terns are my go-to distance driver.

Leopard for fairway driver! You can't go wrong. Pro plastic is my favorite.
Roc is a classic. A well tuned Roc, when it's in the sweet spot is a beauty. Try to find 150 class. But I've also switched to a Manta because it goes just a little farther than a roc and is straighter from the start.

Distance driver- look into a Pro Mamba or very light pro Tern. For me, the Mamba turns over right but then comes back left at the end for a nice S. It's a little inconsistent and unpredictable, though

Hahaha... no no, I'm 38. Born in 82. :hfive:
Oh, I misread that too. You answered the question I asked, but I thought you were 82 years old. haha. Since you're 38 that changes everything! My advice won't apply very much, so you can disregard lots of what I've written.
Forget the Mamba and probably the Tern. Forget throwing light and understable discs.

I'm def getting stuff out of it, so no worries on the hijacking.

Strangely, I think another reason for mold minimizing is the fact that 90% of courses (100% lol) are basically a par 3. I was chatting with my sigot last round about my ideas that short game being at 90% is more valuable than your tee game being at 90%. By that I mean that if I throw a Leopard or a Teebird, or whatever other super long disc exists (at this stage in my game) I'm still getting within a roc shot of the pin, or at least of the putt... I'm not suggesting I won't eventually get into ace territory, but for now keeping my long game controlled, and practicing the short game seems hugely beneficial.

That said, I played a round yesterday with basically a Pro Leopard, Star Roc3, and Aviar (a couple shots with my River) and the round was a lot better. I think that Pro Leopard is a bit more stable than I'd like but it basically throws like a Teebird but not as long. Hopefully it'll work in a bit.