• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] One Disc Round

The only time I would do a one disc round is if I wanted to learn and break in a new disc.

I play "One Disc Wednesday" on my local course during my lunch break, for that exact reason.

If it was a completely blind decision - not knowing course or weather conditions, etc., I would choose my TI Flx Buzzz. It's just so reliable and I feel comfortable throwing it in almost all conditions. Of course, it would mean playing safe placement shots on longer holes, but the reliability should make up for a loss in distance.

Aside: I have thought about just selecting 3 random discs from the pile of discs I rarely use and playing a round with those. The only way to really see if I will like something is to throw a bunch of shots with it.

I think I'd go with a fresh Emac Truth, since it performs adequately in just about every aspect of. It holds up fairly well in the wind, is easy to range for approaches and actually putts pretty decent. It can finish hard when thrown with plenty of hyzer, but can also hold a super straight line when thrown hard, low, and flat. It also takes power well for a mid, so it wouldn't be that horrible to use on long holes even though it's only a mid.

Depends on the course, and the wind. However these would be my fair weather picks from each slot:

Putter: Crown

Mid: Core

Driver: Thunderbird

For me that would be a Shark that I have, the Star model at ~175 Grams. That disc is one of the best all around disc molds for just about any condition. Can do nearly everything a player needs with that mold except have it float on water.

Depends on course, length, wind, blah blah blah...On the majority of courses I would want a PD. It throws great FH and BH, can handle some wind, go pretty straight, flex, and hold a hyzer. For my game I feel like the majority of shots inside 350 I would be fine with a PD. The only issue would be shorter dead straight shots. But with how many FHs I throw, I would most likely score better with my PD rather than an EMAC Truth. Now I want to try it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I often play 3 disc rounds, I'll run the course with 3. It's a great way to learn a new disc, break a disc in or work on a disc/shot that hasn't been cooperating.
One disc sounds like less fun... I would go comet or roc depending on wind. Both have great distance and control.

I often play 3 disc rounds, I'll run the course with 3. It's a great way to learn a new disc, break a disc in or work on a disc/shot that hasn't been cooperating.
One disc sounds like less fun... I would go comet or roc depending on wind. Both have great distance and control.

Yeah, I feel like three discs is the point where I can reasonably play disc golf and score OK. I'm likely not getting birdies but I can throw conservative lines and avoid very many bogies. I've done a three disc round a couple times when teaching someone how to play, and when doing so I went with Envy/Teebird3/D-line FD. What's odd about that is that none of those discs are what I'd choose for a one disc round (Emac Truth), and I don't even bag a Teebird3 or FD in my full bag. I prefer faster fairways in the 9 speed range, but if I'm only carrying three discs then TB3 and FD's get the nod because I can power them down easier to make up for not carrying mids.

My putting putter, a Dagger, is a bit of a one trick pony so ever since I've picked it up, the idea of a 2 or 3 disc round sounds much better.

I'd probably roll with a Proxy for a true one disc round tho.

Berg. If the course is really open like a golf course it probably wouldn't be very fun, but thats how I feel about those courses anyways.

Sounds like you haven't played a 1 disc round. It's tons of fun! And a great way to get to know a disc. It truly shows puts a disc to the test of it's versatility, and is also fun for casual rounds. Besides, it's more a hypothetical question. Almost like if you could only drink one beer for the rest of your life, or have one meal.
3 discs is cool, but I don't often find myself using more than 4-5 molds on any given course anyways. Usually I'll have a driver, mid, and putter I stick to depending on conditions. Of course if it's a particularly diverse course, that will probably change.

I just think it's a testament to a great disc if you can shoot a decent round with it solely. You won't break any records or personal bests, but still fun!

Last edited:
I use discs that I want to learn better, discs that I want to compare, discs that I enjoy.
There is a short technical course in the area that I like to one disc on. I've used at least a dozen different discs there. The champion in my comparisons has been an R-Pro Polecat. Darts are good, and a DGA Tremor did surprisingly well the one time I used it.