• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

one year in, first video..

rphancock1

So, I've been playing just over a year, and have spent a ton of time reading various threads here and on dgreview.. hammer pound, rail, etc.. though looking at these videos (the first I've seen of myself) you wouldn't know it haha. Although I'm trying to find the feeling of loading up for the hit, accelerating, etc., it looks like I'm just spinning out too fast and the disc is slipping out way early.

Any advice welcome.. These are three throws on a very crowded morning in Central Park, where on a beautiful spring morning it can be very difficult to find a spot to throw. I mainly throw speed 6 to 10 discs, and I think all three in this video are speed 8 or 9. These throws are all standstill and controlled, easily reproducible, average throws around 300'. My max is around 350', standstill.. haven't really worked on a runup much as I don't see the point if I can't work out the last 12" of the throw without a bunch of extra motions.

Thanks in advance.. Three throws full speed, then the same throws with slo-mo sections during the throw.
http://youtu.be/SwWXQvB2glU
http://youtu.be/qB2FXR1wyWY

I dont know much about form, but I can tell you these three things:
-Your weight is too far forward. Should be over the front foot, not in front.
-You're throwing everything on a hyzer angle. On purpose?
-The last two throws it appears like youre actually releasing the disc, early in fact, instead of letting the disc rip from your hand.

Weight is not back when you are at the climax of the reachback and off center with a pull through that goes from out to in and back out not straight though on the line by bringing the disc in tighter in the middle of your throwers as well as higher. You also cut the follow through short by which what appers to be early acceleration and not pulling through the target line.

Slowing down and focusing on getting your weight involved from the ground up is something I would work on.

Agree with all the above. There's really no transfer of weight from back to front in your throw and not much arm extension or whip. Both your rear and front heels spin backward during your throw, which is a spin out of leverage from the ground.

Thanks very much.. Went out again this weekend and worked on "the move".. I can't really feel it, though it may be I'm trying to do too many new things at once. What worked best was when I mostly kept things as they were, but tried to leverage up from my plant foot and clear my hip. Had a couple good throws there, but no real gain in distance because I know I'm still accelerating too early to be able to keep the disc from slipping.

I don't know if I'm getting the idea of "the move" from those long sort of rambling videos, haha.. Though I liked the bit with the dog. Any way you can sum it up as you've found it to apply to a disc throw? I'm not sure I can get it without having felt something equivalent, and I don't play any other sports to have that happen.

Leverage is what you want, not spin/rotation which will happen from leverage. In short your heels should move(not spin) the opposite direction they do from your video during the throw.

Ok, I understand what you're saying, hopefully I can make my body figure it out. And to be clear, I'm not knocking the video, I think that guy is pretty great. I just have a hard time translating all that into a physical fluid action, not being a super athletic guy. Thanks.