• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Orbital Distance Driver

i have 168 with some dome and a high plh (for an orbital) been crushing (for me ) some hyzer flip drives that get a nice s curve and going out about 340'. it ia toss between that an a wave as to which is my longest bh flyer right now.

I think I'm gonna say that a seasoned Orbital is better than a Comet for teaching good form. Or not so much good form, but precision angles. I hit about 340 today on a flipped up sweeping anny that rode into perfect position. It's one of the very few times I've scored a 3 on that hole. It's so fun to watch a throw come together like that.

Threw the Orbital for every drive today... She's finicky, but when you treat her right, holy cow. I was going to pick up a 150's class Orbital, but I feel now that it would be too hard to control. At least for my inconsistent arm. Max weight is golden though.

Hey I thought I should do a little bumping for my favourite new trick shot Disc.. I got the 155g and a 167g Orbital. The way my bag lays out with a Relay and a beat 155 Inertia the lighter Orbital is money for me but the 167 is kinda redundant.

I have been using it on shots where I'm jammed, upshots and massive distance since I can actually hyzer flip it. Also straight to hyzer shots at distances that should be mid range. Super fun for messing around with!

Update: finally found a use for my 173g Neutron Orbital. Today I was throwing it on a hole where the tee is to the left of a line of oak trees and the basket to the right of those oak trees about 368 ft. downrange. There's a gap between the oak at 200 ft. from the tee and the oak 310 ft. from the tee, and it's a gradual (not steep) but definite uphill shot.

First time through, I threw the Orbital on a hyzer flip that turned over some but sought the ground and ended up short. So the second time through, I threw a roller. It's open grass, but that grass is not cut all that short. Still, that Orbital rolled right up that hill, swerved left and came back right (RHBH throw), and ended up near that 300 ft. tree, leaving nice upshot to the basket.

I think I'll try the Orbital some more for these kind of shots.

Are there runs of this disc that are not as understable as what is being described in this thread. I traded for an Neutron Orbital and it is not as understable as I was expecting. I have not thrown it much but today in the field it was flying about the same as my Valk but only much faster. Several different times my Valk went about 330 and the Orbital about 350 on the same general line. I think this disc could be really nice if I keep working with it. I can see why people are saying easy distance but I'm just not seeing the flip. Maybe just not enough power to see it?

Are there runs of this disc that are not as understable as what is being described in this thread. I traded for an Neutron Orbital and it is not as understable as I was expecting. I have not thrown it much but today in the field it was flying about the same as my Valk but only much faster. Several different times my Valk went about 330 and the Orbital about 350 on the same general line. I think this disc could be really nice if I keep working with it. I can see why people are saying easy distance but I'm just not seeing the flip. Maybe just not enough power to see it?

Yes, there are less understable Orbitals. They are called "Waves". :p

More seriously, just as there are PLH differences in Waves that make them more or less US, there will be Orbitals that are less US than others, depending on how they mold up. If you find one of those less US Orbitals, send it to me. :)

It is a 12ish speed disc. So if you don't get it up to speed it will fade out. But I gotta think, given the droopy wing on that thing, that there are plenty of plh variants out there.

Last edited:
I usually stay away from fast drivers especially understable ones. Currently my max distance disc is a Neutron Inertia which I can get a nice turn on and is easy to control. I've always been a fan of MVP putters but was not sold on their line of drivers until I started throwing the Inertia. I've had good luck with it so I was interested in trying others like the Orbital which seems to be a disc I'll like . But I don't want to fall on love or start depending on a disc that is sort of an outlier to the norm. You lose that one disc and you may never be able to really replace it.

Had the Orbital out on the course this morning. Yep, it's as understable as everyone is saying. I'll try it a few more times but I don't think it will make the bag. It became obvious it needs clean power and hyser. Probably rewarded the smoother you can throw it. I'm concerned it will become another squirrelly Katana, Tern etc. that I can't totally depend on at my skill level. I think it takes a lot of skill to properly throw the ultra fast understable drivers.

Just get a Fission Photon. Domey will be more understable new. Flat will take longer to get there. I wouldn't go lighter than 150's weight unless your max D is 300' or less. Then a 135-149g might be right for your arm speed.

The orbital for me is more of a specialty shot disc. I would never consider if for a long distance hyzer flip shot, simply because comes out eventually and turns over....big time. So i mostly keep one in the bag for long distance anny shots (I'm LHBH) so it has some use for me. Shorter shots of the same kind I'll use a signal or relay.

Had the Orbital out on the course this morning. Yep, it's as understable as everyone is saying. I'll try it a few more times but I don't think it will make the bag. It became obvious it needs clean power and hyser. Probably rewarded the smoother you can throw it. I'm concerned it will become another squirrelly Katana, Tern etc. that I can't totally depend on at my skill level. I think it takes a lot of skill to properly throw the ultra fast understable drivers.

The orbital for me is more of a specialty shot disc. I would never consider if for a long distance hyzer flip shot, simply because comes out eventually and turns over....big time. So i mostly keep one in the bag for long distance anny shots (I'm LHBH) so it has some use for me. Shorter shots of the same kind I'll use a signal or relay.

Have either of you tried the Orbital as a backhand roller? I found the Orbital to be excellent for that purpose, though not for much else except (as you said) utility purposes...

Discgolfcenter has some 150's Orbitals right now. I'm tempted....

I've never really developed a roller that I do on purpose. The orbital accidentally rolled 2 times. I mean right over. I do this once in a while but I think this time it's the disc. But every disc has a use I think so I'll see if I can get anything out of it for tailwind duty. Hyzer flipping is great but I'm not consistent with that shot. It's a touchy one.

Orbitals roll very well, but it can be tough (at least for me) to get them to stay upright for a long time. They're very touchy with that window of standing up and flipping over to the right too early. Of course, depending on the line you need, that could be used as an advantage.

Have either of you tried the Orbital as a backhand roller? I found the Orbital to be excellent for that purpose, though not for much else except (as you said) utility purposes...

Not on purpose since I'm not good at making rollers do what I want. But yes, it does flip into a backhand roller quite easily.

To give you an idea of my arm speed, I can make a Fission (150g) Photon stand up to flat before fading. It goes a little more than 300'.

I just got a 155g Orbital so I could learn turning shots without having to change my wrist angle too much from a hyzer...even at my power level this thing flips completely over in anything other than a tailwind with extreme hyzer release.

How does this compare to the Catalyst?

To give you an idea of my arm speed, I can make a Fission (150g) Photon stand up to flat before fading. It goes a little more than 300'.

I just got a 155g Orbital so I could learn turning shots without having to change my wrist angle too much from a hyzer...even at my power level this thing flips completely over in anything other than a tailwind with extreme hyzer release.

How does this compare to the Catalyst?

This is close to where I was. The lightest Catalyst I could find was 165 g and out of the box it flew like my Fission (150g) Photon and how you described it. I can now get it straighter and farther since it is beating in and my form is improving.

Orbital

I can't see how an Orbital would make anyone a better disc golfer. The 1 I threw was perhaps the flippiest disc I've ever seen. I threw it hyzer and with less than 3/4 power.... and it instantly barrel rolled right into the ground.

I can see the virtue of some understable discs, but the Orbital is WAAAAYYYYY too understable to be of use. I got so frustrated with that disc I purposely left it on the course. I feel bad for whomever found it and thought they were getting something good.

I've thrown starlite Bosses and every sort of Mamba. Any of those are still far easier to keep in the air than the Orbital. Makes a Leopard look beefy.

The Catalyst will flip if thrown really hard and flat, but it is still a whole hell of a lot beefier than the Orbital.