• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Out Of Bounds Question

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Here is the story. Was playing in a mini, and there was an area of out of bounds around a dry pond, that was marked with a string. My disc landed on the string with 80% out of bounds, and 20% in bounds. I and the others in the group didn't know how to call it, so we called the TD on the phone, and he said, it was in. I ended up taking first place and the guy in my group didn't seem to happy with me. He didn't say anything , but I got a look.

While we were playing the hole, I even asked the group, if they wanted me to call it a stroke and take it out of bounds, and they said, no it was cool.

What was the right call here? Was it in, or was it out , and I should have taken a stroke? Just want to know, incase it happens again.

it was in.

OB_line.jpg

From my understanding as long as a portion of your disc is in bounds or at least on the line then its NOT ob

PDGA said:
A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and
completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be
at rest once it is floating or is moving only by the action of the water or the wind on the
water. See section 803.03 F. The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of --bounds. In order to
consider the disc as out-of bounds, there must be reasonable evidence that the disc came to rest within the out-of-bounds area. In the absence of such evidence, the disc will be considered lost and the player will proceed according to rule 803.11B.

803.11A.

I was copy and pasting before any post were even there

these guys are fast

Thanks guys. I beat this guy by 2 stokes and took first in Intermediate, and I really got a look from him when they handed me the money that I won. It was only $30, but he didn't look to happy, and I was wondering if I had done something wrong. I know now, for future use. Thanks so much

Here is the story. Was playing in a mini, and there was an area of out of bounds around a dry pond, that was marked with a string. My disc landed on the string with 80% out of bounds, and 20% in bounds. I and the others in the group didn't know how to call it, so we called the TD on the phone, and he said, it was in. I ended up taking first place and the guy in my group didn't seem to happy with me. He didn't say anything , but I got a look.

While we were playing the hole, I even asked the group, if they wanted me to call it a stroke and take it out of bounds, and they said, no it was cool.

What was the right call here? Was it in, or was it out , and I should have taken a stroke? Just want to know, incase it happens again.

What is a mini?

Mini-Tournament, usually held on a 9-hole course. Two rounds of 9.

now that makes since, I tried to search but after two pages and nothing I figured it'd be quicker this way. Thanks!

You were perfectly fine. However did you play your disc from directly where it lies? If your disc is barely in bounds like you described or within 1M you actually get relief. I couldn't find the exact thing in writing but a throw where any points are touched OB is illegal.

Here is what it says on being close to OB. Really just one of those nitpicky rules because 9/10 it is helping you get closer to the hole and a better run up area.
C. If the thrown disc comes to rest in-bounds but within one meter of an out-of-bounds line, the lie may be relocated to any point on a one-meter line that extends perpendicularly from the nearest point on the out-of-bounds line, and passes through the center of the thrown disc. This holds true even if the direction takes the lie closer to the hole.

I got one.
Is this in or out assuming 'curb and beyond are out'? Please excuse my paint skills but the disc is blue, the curb is the dark line and the green is grass.
OBcheck.jpg

Thanks

I got one.
Is this in or out assuming 'curb and beyond are out'? Please excuse my paint skills but the disc is blue, the curb is the dark line and the green is grass.
OBcheck.jpg

Thanks

Think of it as if you were trying to tell if you disc in the water was in play or OB. Is it completely surrounded by concrete or is there a little area that is within the grass. I think that is the easiest way to think about it.

Think of it as if you were trying to tell if you disc in the water was in play or OB. Is it completely surrounded by concrete or is there a little area that is within the grass. I think that is the easiest way to think about it.

That makes sense and i just realized I have been interpreting the rule to mean the EDGE of the curb and beyond are out. WOW.
If indeed the rule was 'the edge of the curb and beyond are out' would the disc in the sketch I posted above be in or out? I would assume it would be in.
Thanks again. And sorry to hijack MB

Last edited:
If none of that edge of the disc is still in the grass, then it's not In. Since the curb starts at the edge of the grass, the OB starts at the edge of the grass. Thus the original OB rules apply. That disc is clearly not in the grass and it's surrounded by concrete. OB is the ruling.

I have an OB question, thought this might be better than starting a new thread. If you are throwing over water and your discs hits a branch from a tree on the other side, do you take your next shot from the other side? Keep in mind the branch hangs over the water, not on the other side of the water. Don't know if that makes any sense or not.

Here's the hole in question

Latest posts