• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Out Of Bounds Question

You play it OB from where the disc went over the water.
If your disc hit the ground on the other side and rolled back, you may have a different argument.

That makes sense and i just realized I have been interpreting the rule to mean the EDGE of the curb and beyond are out. WOW.
If indeed the rule was 'the edge of the curb and beyond are out' would the disc in the sketch I posted above be in or out? I would assume it would be in.
Thanks again.

In the sketch you would still be OB. If the area in question was 100% IB until the drop of the curve that would be a tricky one. Hopefully before a tournament or something the TD would give some type of disclaimers is on leaners if such an OB is in place. Chuck would be the best one to ask in that situation.

You play it OB from where the disc went over the water

lol, what water do you speak of :D.
**Ah, was sniped at the bottom of the other page :D.

I have an OB question, thought this might be better than starting a new thread. If you are throwing over water and your discs hits a branch from a tree on the other side, do you take your next shot from the other side? Keep in mind the branch hangs over the water, not on the other side of the water. Don't know if that makes any sense or not.

Here's the hole in question

Could you try that again? Is you disc in the water, or in the tree?

it was in.

OB_line.jpg

For the record, my disc looked exactly like the yellow disc in the picture. Kind of ironic, since the disc in question was a yellow Soft Magnet. I know I am a name dropper, but I love the Magnets.

Couldn't edit due to stupid edit time limit.
Green is good, red is bad. None of that disc is in the green. OB is ruling.
16gbt54.jpg

PS, obviously my paint sikills are just as good as yours!

16gbt54.jpg

Hot shots plays road is out, not edge of the grass, so leaners on curb count as far as I know.
although grass grows in the roads :)

16gbt54.jpg

We had something like that come close today. The gravel parking lot was OB, and the grass was not, and this guy was half on the grass, half on the gravel, and we let it go as IB.

We had something like that come close today. The gravel parking lot was OB, and the grass was not, and this guy was half on the grass, half on the gravel, and we let it go as IB.

That would be correct. I think the problem comes when you have like described above were something was leaning.

Hot shots plays road is out, not edge of the grass, so leaners on curb count as far as I know.
although grass grows in the roads :)

So they play the dark asphalt as out but everything else in? (Not pic of course just googled road curb :D)

Curb.gif

Last edited:
16gbt54.jpg

Sorry to persist but what if the actual OB line was the vertical drop face of the curb and the disc was leaning over the top of that drop face (ie: OB line)? Again i would assume it would be 'in'.

Sorry to persist but what if the actual OB line was the vertical drop face of the curb and the disc was leaning over the top of that drop face (ie: OB line)? Again i would assume it would be 'in'.

For me that would be in bounds unless the disc is completely vertical and isn't crossing over in bounds. But again that is one of those tricky situations where it is best something be said before hand in case that situation happens.

That would be correct. I think the problem comes when you have like described above were something was leaning.

So they play the dark asphalt as out but everything else in? (Not pic of course just googled road curb :D)

Curb.gif

I believe the raised edge is the OB line. if it is down in the road, even in lighter asphault it is OB

Could you try that again? Is you disc in the water, or in the tree?

Disc went in the water. I know the rule is that if it hits the ground on the other side and rolls back you play it from the other side, but didn't know whether that would apply to branches sticking out over the water where the tree that has the branches is on the other side of the water.

What if it hits the trunk of the tree on the other side?

I ask because I have hit the branches and went in the water twice, and the trunk of the tree once, every time I ended up in the water.

That would be in with that designation of OB line. However if you have painted OB lines 1" thick, the 1" line is OB also.

I understand what you mean, and I agree with VonDrehle. If that vertical face was deemed the OB marker. Then yes that disc would be ruled in bounds.

But, ALL the courses I've played that have some sort of OB like this. The TD specifies that the area where the grass meets the concrete is the OB line. You're right for asking this question, because some might do this differently, but if there is a question. Most TD's will give a proper ruling on this if asked before the Tourny begins, they will during the round, but it's just nice to do it before. So that EVERYONE knows, and it's made clear before they start, so that no questions are needed during the round.

At one time, I've seen it where the vertical face of the curb was considered the OB line. In that case the disc had to be lying flat on road and not touching any part of the curb that started rising up to be OB. These days, the grass/curb line is more commonly used as the line.

Disc went in the water. I know the rule is that if it hits the ground on the other side and rolls back you play it from the other side, but didn't know whether that would apply to branches sticking out over the water where the tree that has the branches is on the other side of the water.

What if it hits the trunk of the tree on the other side?

I ask because I have hit the branches and went in the water twice, and the trunk of the tree once, every time I ended up in the water.

It's a vertical plane, you didn't cross it when you hit those branches and fell in the water so you're still on the side of the water close to you. If you hit the trunk or branches over land, then your disc crossed that plane into fair territory before returning ob, and you'd get to go to the point it went out over there.

Yeah if you didn't clear land you were OB on the side you threw from. The second you cross land on the far bank you will be throwing from there...the bad ones are the trees right on the bank like some of the holes at Maple Hill. You never went IB because the tree stopped you.

I agree on the grass/concrete line, it eliminates the leaner questions.

It's usually a good idea to have a drop zone when there are water areas with tricky calls for determining last point inbounds.

The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of --bounds.

Here's a hair splitter question.

How wide is the OB line? If it were as wide as a disc and a disc landed only on it, even though that disc is only on the OB line, it's OB because the OB line is OB.

If the OB line were 1 inch wide, and a disc landed on the line and the OB area past it, it's OB.

Now, shave only a fraction of an inch from the IB side of the OB line and that same disc would be IB.

The width of the line must be standard to avoid this. Seems I read something earlier about the line having no width. Can't find it now. If that's the case, the question is almost answered. Except that if it has no width, it is not a line. There is only IB and only OB so the line that doesn't exist isn't an issue. Except that the rules say "line".

My original question is this. If a disc flys, skips, rolls or otherwise legally travels OB and then back IB, without stopping until it comes to rest IB, is it IB? I think so because of "comes to rest."

And, in casual play, with no marked IB or OB, what do y'all usually call the bounds? We've been playing street, sidewalk, fence and out of the whole damn park or course (whichever applies) as bounds. Once a disc is resting all the way in, over or out of any, it's OB. We haven't landed in water yet and play any rough as IB. We like play where it lay.

If you can't get behind your disc because of said rough, and it isn't a permissible movable object, we give about an arms length into standable IB territory. Do the rules say we should give 1 meter or 5 meters here?

Last edited:
this thread reminds me of a funny story from the players cup, 2007 i think:

top-rated player A was tasked with designing the mini-golf course that year. on the legend for the course he stated "all asphalt is OB". top-rated player A is from the midwest and uses the term "asphalt" to be synonymous with "any paved surface".

top-rated player A heads out to play the round of mini golf with top-rated players B, C and D. 30 minutes later, top rated player A comes into our condo and says "i quit, top-rated player B is a cheater, his mini ended up on the sidewalk and the sidewalk is OB, but he says it's not OB because the legend says that 'all asphalt is OB', but the sidewalk is asphalt and i can't believe that he's such a cheater", and then runs out the door. i sat in silence with the td for about five minutes until top-rated player E came in the door and said "i heard that top-rated player A had a melt-down and quit mini golf, is that true?" at which point we retold the story.