• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Out of Production Innovas

Don't know if this is the right thread, but did Innova release discs in groups? Snakes: Viper, Sidewinder, Cobra, etc. Dogs: Whippet, Bulldog. Any other examples? And if they did this, why don't they do it anymore?
They never really released them in bundles. They just got on a kick where all of the discs were named after some sort of Animal. So the snake discs didn't come out all at once or the sea creature discs didn't come out in a row or anything like that.

The first Innova discs were the Eagle, Aero, Aviar, Aviar XD (Extra Distance), Coupe, Ace, Roc and Hammer. None of them had animal stamps.

Next came the Stingray, which had the cool "Amoeba" Stingray stamp originally. Then they did the Phenix, Cobra and Shark and retooled the Roc and Hammer. All of them had Animal stamps. From then on, the only Innova disc that did not have an animal stamp was the Zephyr. The Ram didn't either, it always just had the Star stamp but obviously it could have had an animal stamp. I'm leaving the Apple and Super Nova out of this as they are really just sport discs that happen to be legal for golf, not really golf discs.

At the time, Lightning had all WWII airplanes on their stamps and Discraft had mostly weather or space-related stuff like the Cyclone, Vortex, Typhoon, Comet. So they all had a theme.

In 1995, Lightning changed all the discs to label them like golf clubs i.e. # 1 Driver, etc. 1998, Discraft went with the X2-XL-APX-MRX abbreviation names. Also in '98, Innova had it's first non-animal name in a long time...The Banshee. Then they went back to Animals (Rhyno, Wolf, Puma, etc.) but started to mix in things like the TeeBird and Valkyrie. At this point it seems like a hodge-podge of names with no theme. Discraft also has switched from the abbreviations to names like Flash, Surge, Force, etc. No telling where they come from.

But, the stamp used to be a big deal. Ever since Candy plastic came out, they have stopped using the cool DX graphics on most of the discs. So if you don't have to come up with a picture to represent it, you can use a doofy name like "Surge" or "Groove" for a disc. Personally I liked the artwork and wish the DX hotstamps were on all the discs, but I know a lot of folks who argue that it makes golf discs look like toys instead of equipment for a legitimate sport. To each their own.

My first disc I ever bought (and still have)is a classic cobra with the San Francisco DGC logo on it from before they had a permanent course. I bought it from Nate Doss's dad at De LaVeaga. I also have hanging a condor since I couldn't believe the size of it and the fact it weighed 199grams. I love that thing for a downhill shot. It really is like a condor swooping down for its prey.:)

The pro shop around here has a whole rack of brand new Ravens. I wonder how long they've been there. Must not be very popular.

Yeah, same here. I bought brand new 1st run Pro TeeBird ($12.99)
1st Run Pro TeeBird.jpeg

and orange DX Dolphin ($8.99) (feels like Pro material)
DX Dolphin.jpeg DX Dolphin_underside.jpeg

at Play It Again a month ago. After I made the buy, I told the owner of the store that this discs' values are now higher than the original marked prices. He was shocked to learn this!

A week later, I came back to hope to see any old ones but its already filled up with brand new ones but I did still see a few old ones in the back of the rack...:p

That dolphin has a wierd lip ..
the teebird is pretty neat though ... about how old would that disc be? (ie when did the first run teebird come out?)

The TeeBird came out in 1999 in DX, but the Pro TeeBird didn't come out until a few years later.

The Dolphin was a floater. The material is technically DX, but it has some different material in it to make it float in water. It kinda sorta but not really feels like Pro.

Is there a difference in the classic cobra's and the non star cobra's..... If so I got two.....
The Classic Cobra used the Stingray top. If you have a Cobra that says "San Marino" or "www.innovadiscs.com" in the tooling on the bottom, it's the Classic Cobra. If the tooling says "Ontario," it's the regular Cobra.

From what I understand the regular Cobra is dead and they are only making the Classic Cobra, only they are just calling it "The Cobra." Clear as mud, par for the course for Innova.

The pro shop around here has a whole rack of brand new Ravens. I wonder how long they've been there. Must not be very popular.

LOL, I still have one hanging around, haven't used it in forever.

The TeeBird came out in 1999 in DX, but the Pro TeeBird didn't come out until a few years later.

The Dolphin was a floater. The material is technically DX, but it has some different material in it to make it float in water. It kinda sorta but not really feels like Pro.

The dolphin may be one of the worse discs I've ever seen. Didn't fly worth a dam and just felt strange to grip, with its odd rim.

Hey I looked at the legacy page and it lists Champion Vipers. If someone has one I'll trade or by it, if its in good shape (preferably never thrown)

I'm surprised the Aero is still in production. I know it's a great disc, but it seems like Innova would have just thought that it was useless now. And I don't know many serious players who love them. I really only know one person who uses one.

Proline TL - gonzo. My favorite trick disc and fairway driver.

I can show you several who love the Aero. Me for one.

I just recently saw a guy we call King George, a grand master and a very good one, ace hole 6 at Newport News with one.

We were playing doubles and his partner laid one up. So he went for it and hit it dead on. 198' through a very small opening that gives you a great look. But don't miss or you will be in deep shule.

Don't remind me, I just lost my Moray after 20 yrs of service.... One of the best Anhyzer disc I had. Just gave a '93 Oktoberfest Scorpion (pretty beat) to a newb for being honest and giving my disc back after he found it.....

CRAP!!! I miss my Moray, and it has all my info and I know some ass found it and ain't callin me when he/ she found it at the OG. Pathetic

Latest posts