• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Outta the box hyzer flip distance driver

ill4mation

Eagle Member
What's a good, out of the box distance driver for someone with about 340 ft of power? I lost beat star valk but I need a replacement now. I'm looking for something I can throw with hyzer and have it flip up and over and come back slightly, not dive bomb.

MVP Wave. At your distance, it should be exactly what you're looking for.

MVP Wave. At your distance, it should be exactly what you're looking for.

I do not agree at all. If you can only get 340 you shouldn't be touching speed 12 drivers. Nor would that be an out of the box hyzer flip driver for most people that can handle a speed 12.

I suggest an MVP impulse. Ootb it is understandable. The inertia could be good for it as well, but I've never thrown it to give my honest opinion of it. But my impulse can give you anywhere from hyzer flip to straight to hyzer flip to turn. Fun disc.

340 isn't THAT short. I'd say maybe a beast, Star or Gstar. Gstar valk might do what you want out of the box too. You could probably even step up to something like a Gstar wraith and get good hyzer flip distance. Depends on how comfortable you are with wider rims. I'd stay away from most of those molds in champ though because they'll be too stable and take forever to beat in.

Oh all those molds would probably work well in pro plastic as well if you want something similar to Gstar in stability but stiffer. Both pro and GStar are generally a bit less stable than star my experience, at least in drivers.

Discs I've had luck with;
MVP Inertia
Star Sidewinder in the mid to upper 160s
Star Roadrunner

I've pretty much given up on Valks (I still have 6 of them) but no two fly the same. A Pro or G* might work though.

Pro Valkyries are understable right out of the box. Entirely different discs than the champ version

Star or Champion Sidewinder. I don't throw that far, but I've watched others throw Sidewinders 350 ft. Good mold, better than given credit for...

Last edited:
I've pretty much given up on Valks (I still have 6 of them) but no two fly the same. A Pro or G* might work though.

This. I have 12 Valks, in every plastic they come in. Definitely inconsistent to the point one needs to physically view the PLH and dome (or lack of it) before purchasing. (JMHO, YMMV)

Saint/Pro, P-Line PD, or maybe a star tern. At 340' of distance you're probably going to have better luck with the PD.

I do not agree at all. If you can only get 340 you shouldn't be touching speed 12 drivers. Nor would that be an out of the box hyzer flip driver for most people that can handle a speed 12.

I suggest an MVP impulse. Ootb it is understandable. The inertia could be good for it as well, but I've never thrown it to give my honest opinion of it. But my impulse can give you anywhere from hyzer flip to straight to hyzer flip to turn. Fun disc.

Op asked for a distance driver, and that's why I said Wave. But both of your suggestions are also good options.

The ABC Secret Weapon is another decent choice in the Valk's speed range.

On the slower side, the MVP Relay is much longer than its rim width would indicate

You also have the Innova Mamba that is faster but great for flips.