• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Over a thousand hours in the field and all I got was this stupid form.

Yeah the elbow and hips forward thing is exactly what I'm working on, it's like you're reading my mind. Not sure exactly what you mean by the chin/spine should change tilt matching with the right leg? Like my spine should be aligned with the throw better?

I do actually live quite close to you, I'd be up for a paid lesson once I iron out this form a bit more. I also will definitely do more work on my forehand after I feel pretty good about my backhand.
Leg and spine should swing together to land in dynamic upright alignment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o9PxUK4OGY#t=1m10s

So, since I started throwing 400 feet back in June/July I've had a blood blister forming on and off in my pinky's finger pad. I thought this was just a result of throwing harder with a power grip, but most other people I know don't get blood blisters on their pinky if they get them at all anywhere. Would anyone have any advice for this?

P.S. I'll probably ask for more form advice 2 days from now. I might also record some forehand video.

Alright I'm pretty sure I've regressed a bit since the last time I posted. It turns out trying to fix everything at once just makes everything worse. I should pick an order of things I need to fix in terms of importance so that way I don't get stuck trying to fix my off-arm for the billionth time and forget how to plant correctly. In the video I have a relatively flat shot and then a high hyzer both in slow mo, and then I have a normal speed hershyzer drill throw.

https://youtu.be/n2Esq3s4gtA

As for the grip stuff, 2 fingers is pretty uncomfortable after a short amount of time. I tried 3 fingers but my pinky liked to slip back under the rim on the backswing. I think the solution is to stop throwing when my pinky starts to hurt, and just hold myself to that. Rarely happens during actual rounds anyway. Also, no forehands due to a cut on the side of my middle finger that touches the rim.

Whelp, February was covered in snow from head to toe so I didn't do much form practice. I went out and played too much and now my form is totally screwy. I didn't regress back to my previous form before I started working out but now I'm stuck in a weird in-between state where I basically can't throw at all (threw my worst round in just under 2 years). I've been trying to go back through everything in here to help me find what is the missing piece but I'm simply not feeling the disc rip out of my hand like it did when I set my new speed record. I'll post a video tomorrow and I'm sure there will be a lot wrong with it, but in the meantime, I'm going to scan through everything in here a few more times...

Today was the least productive day I've had doing form work. Conditions were awful and only got worse and my phone cracked when a huge wind gust came out of nowhere and knocked over my tripod. 45 degrees, yeah right, it started snowing...

https://youtu.be/8vsuVps03XQ

That's the first throw of the day because it only got worse from then on. I wish I had a good one recorded from behind but oh well, enough woe is me for now.

Also, I figured I'd post one of my better throws from when I still had my form held together for comparison. Recorded this 2/6/21

https://youtu.be/ID3y-CxK3kA

440' slightly downhill. I threw too high by mistake and I was surprised it still went that far.

PJ_unbalanced.PNG

Drew_balanced.PNG

PJ_Early_february.PNG

The first image is me today, the second is Drew Gibson, and the third is me in early February.

It looks to me like the following things are wrong: I'm tilting way over my plant leg, my spine is not braced. My left shoulder is dipped down way below while Drew has his shoulders aligned. My plant foot is turned too far back.

All of these things aren't as bad in the February throw, the plant foot looks great, the spine is still tilted over the brace but not as badly, and the shoulders are still unaligned but just like the spine, not as bad.

It seems like I need to focus on maintaining alignment and making sure I plant/brace correctly.

Your front foot is reaching ahead of the rear leg driving the hips/front leg forward. So you end up trying to drive too late off the rear leg after front foot goes. Your rear arm going way up and back is probably helping you do that move off balance or out of sequence.

Thanks! I guess it's time to fully and completely focus on fixing the rear arm for good instead of 1/3rd of my shots. (Once I've fixed my rear arm) I'll see how much easier it is to drive with the rear leg before getting my front foot out to catch my weight. Hopefully, I'll be able to brace better by doing this.

Alright, I've got 2 decent looking throws but none of my throws felt good. Conditions today were not so good, the ground was soft so I could only throw maybe 15-20 times before it became unusable.

https://youtu.be/xPPWDTtpAaA

These were the best shots but they didn't feel particularly good, I wonder if it's because I was holding back on them because my earlier shots would just go way high when I tried to get some power on them. Here's my first shot of the day:

https://youtu.be/Fj53i26x0dA

It looks to me like I didn't drive my left hip at all and that was the problem. Maybe it's because of the soft ground and my back foot is spinning out so I can't drive my left hip inward while moving into the plant? Perhaps I need to work on "skating laterally?"

You are moving your body the same direction as your kick or swing instead of countering motion. You move all the way back with everything and then moving forward with everything. Need to start moving targetward with the body much earlier before the top of the backswing to create tension and stretch and balance/counter balance.

You also plant your front hip past your knee, so you jam into your front leg and your knee can't brace the hip and clear it back away from the swing/target. This is related to the late forward move as your front leg is getting ahead of the hips/rear leg drive.

You are moving your body the same direction as your kick or swing instead of countering motion. You move all the way back with everything and then moving forward with everything. Need to start moving targetward with the body much earlier before the top of the backswing to create tension and stretch and balance/counter balance.

You also plant your front hip past your knee, so you jam into your front leg and your knee can't brace the hip and clear it back away from the swing/target. This is related to the late forward move as your front leg is getting ahead of the hips/rear leg drive.

Yes exactly this, my body is moving the same direction as my back swing. This is the problem. As soon as I read that I knew that's what it was. I just completely forgot about that. As for the planting my front hip past my knee, that's really hard for me to not do, but maybe it'll be easier once I've fixed my weight distribution in the backswing. Thank you so much!

Also, if I wanted to get a private lesson with you, what would be the best way of going about that? My home course is Anson B. Nixon so I'm not far from you.

Yes exactly this, my body is moving the same direction as my back swing. This is the problem. As soon as I read that I knew that's what it was. I just completely forgot about that. As for the planting my front hip past my knee, that's really hard for me to not do, but maybe it'll be easier once I've fixed my weight distribution in the backswing. Thank you so much!

Also, if I wanted to get a private lesson with you, what would be the best way of going about that? My home course is Anson B. Nixon so I'm not far from you.
Hit me up at seabas22 at yahoo.

For those of you who may or may not be following along and are wondering what exactly I was missing here's an update: I tried changing my balance and weight distribution so that I could throw better and plant better. I could tell that it was helping but I started doing something weird with my elbow (It was lower than normal, not sure why this happened, I just raised it and that fixed it) and when I planted for some reason I still couldn't plant too hard without messing up my plant with my front hip going past my knee as described in earlier posts. I looked back at videos of me practicing at the end of January and I saw that before I threw I was practicing planting first, waiting a beat, and then throwing (like elephant walk). This was a lightbulb moment where I realized that I had forgotten that bit of work I had done to improve my throw. I need to plant and fully brace before pulling through with the disc. So I started doing that again where I would wait entirely too long after planting to be efficient, but definitively long enough to brace correctly and then I would pull through. I instantly started throwing farther from standstills. It's amazing what being properly braced will do for your throw. So, now I'm working specifically on that and perhaps slowly making the timing tighter while trying to keep everything else smooth as well, including things like keeping myself from turning my shoulders too early and keeping my off arm from getting too far behind me.

Also I practiced so much I hurt my pinky again (I'm thinking of trying a pinch grip to fix that) so I'm buying friction gloves and am probably going to do a lot of forehand work in the meantime before they arrive.

Last edited:
Ok so today I focused really hard on trying to plant with my knee farther out than my hips. And I discovered that this is really hard for me, maybe because of my hips, maybe because of my knees, or maybe because of my coordination. At first I would just keep my back leg straight constantly and thus when I planted my knee would be bent inwards inside of my right hip. Then I tried really hard to bend my left knee inwards as I moved into my plant, but then my left hip would go out past my left knee and I would be thrown off balance and unable to brace my upper body correctly. (This is the first throw in the video). I ran out of practice time but my second throw in this video was the closest I got to aligning everything correctly.

https://youtu.be/0P2zLrqxs14

And of course, unfortunately my off arm is doing whatever it wants when I'm not focusing on it specifically, phooey.

No video today but I figured out how to get my knee farther out than my hip. I had forgotten how the hips are supposed to be tilted in the throw, for the first step in the x-step the hips are tilted up towards the target. Then in the step behind the hips are tilted down, and in the plant step the hips should come back up again. Thinking about skating laterally and making sure that my hips were tilted up as I shifted into my plant step made it a lot easier to get my hips in the correct place in relation to my knees. I think I now have everything I need to have a technically sound backhand throw. I'll continue to work until I can get everything in place (stupid off arm!!!) during a one-step/hershyzer throw. Then I'll make sure it's sound for a 3-step and finally a 5-step (And maybe I'll have some fun trying 360s). After that I think I'll have to do some power-generating specific things to throw farther, which I'm not sure I care to do, I suppose I'll find out.

Meanwhile, in forehand land, keeping my left hip facing up is greatly helpful for being able to push off the back leg into the throw. Getting my hips/back leg to go before my arm is quite difficult for me in this throw. I also sometimes mess up the reachback and the plant, but I'm pretty sure it's just my lower body moving into the plant is what's holding me back the most.

Need to start going targetward sooner in the backswing. You are moving everything the same direction too much back and forth.

Latest posts