• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Over Buying Anonymous

Plus it take like 3x as long to play a round.

It only takes 3x times longer because the courses are 3x times as long...;)

BTW, if you ever want to take that statement back, you're welcome to join my weekend group sometime, lol... Took us 6hrs to play Idlewild once.

BTW, if you ever want to take that statement back, you're welcome to join my weekend group sometime, lol... Took us 6hrs to play Idlewild once.

Walking 18 holes of ball golf I could easily play in under 2 hours if the course was empty. It often was after I finished my day there. I worked at a course for a few years after high school.

Disc golf is a little faster, mostly because the average player is better than the average ball golfer. At least in the groups I play with.

Idlewild on a tough day is a beast. I could see a 6 hour round lol. Last tournament round I played there was over 4 hours I believe.

I've had a lot of bad experiences playing ball golf with pompous idiots who take ten minuets to line up a shot and then get pissed that the solo player behind them wants to play through.

I'd love to play with you one day man, but 6 hours on any course for just one round is my nightmare. I play my home course solo in 47 minutes and it's great to clear the noggin. Big mob golf rounds give me anxiety.

Big mob golf rounds give me anxiety.

It can be frustrating at times. The 6hr round iirc, involved a big bottle of Belvedre vodka and as a nondrinker, I was almost ready to quit the game afterwards, lol.

...now on the other hand, the day one of the guys showed up with a bag full of brownies... that was one of the funnest days of my life.:D

That's $400.00 if you're buying used, around $700.00+ if you're buying new. Nice that you don't have to worry about it, nothing wrong with that.

I'm looking at my cart that is holding around 20 discs. Total revolving investment (cart + discs) near $700.00. Add in misc costs for shoes, minis, tournaments, etc, etc.

Disc golf is far from being a cheap sport. The only point it is cheap is when we all first started and a friend gave us a few free discs.

depends on how hardcore you want to get into it

i personally throw 10 discs in my $20 bag and rarely play p2p and never play tournies or leagues

total cost is about $120 for my all my shiiite

my gear i use for hiking and camping anyways

the gas money gets spendy if i wanna travel but i would travel anyways to camp and hike

on the flip side i have friends who have 30 discs in their $400 cart and dg specific shoes and tons of different gear for each 5 degree changes in weather and they probably invested over $1000 for their daily full set up plus all their back up things

you can cheap ass it or go all in overall there is a reason why it attracts the certain crowd it does and which is typically the lower socioeconomical position people because its cheap when all things are considered

Ever looked at the cost of playing ball golf? Ever known anyone who owned a boat? Ever looked at the cost of most other hobbies? Ever looked at the price of those coffees people buy on a daily basis? I wouldn't worry about the cost of a few discs, even 40.

Very true. Count on dropping at least $50 every time you play a round of ball golf at a decent course, same for every time you take the boat out. Even the pay-to-play DG courses are much cheaper than ball golf greens fees.

Wait until you figure out your bag and starting wanting backups.

That's when stuff gets serious.

That's where I'm at, but since I only throw 6 molds, 1-3 backups of each isn't all that many discs, comparatively.

hell I got 40 discs just in the back seat of my car...

check back in when you break 300 and your wife has rules about which rooms in the house are allowed to have frisbees in them. Yeah I had a problem called used bins and TP Cyclones. I haven't bought plastic in a few years, but I haven't been playing a whole lot either.

and yes compared to other hobbies, it's fairly inexpensive.

Do you have a lot of water hazards you play at? seems to be a lot here and not just the newbies loosing the discs

I've had a lot of bad experiences playing ball golf with pompous idiots who take ten minuets to line up a shot and then get pissed that the solo player behind them wants to play through.

I'd love to play with you one day man, but 6 hours on any course for just one round is my nightmare. I play my home course solo in 47 minutes and it's great to clear the noggin. Big mob golf rounds give me anxiety.
seen a guy doing disc golf with 3 discs and jogging that's amazing...not me though i'm a big dude and like to just chill happy to let peeps play through who knows might even learn something from watching.

Only 40-some discs? You're new around here, aren't you? XD

yup got my first super cheap set around the first of july ordered it june 28th (a day that will live in infirmary" lol but really i think for me 40 is where i need to stop and just play them see what they will do ...but i keep seeing super awesome discs i need..i mean want ...don't need them..wait is that...

hell I got 40 discs just in the back seat of my car...

check back in when you break 300 and your wife has rules about which rooms in the house are allowed to have frisbees in them. Yeah I had a problem called used bins and TP Cyclones. I haven't bought plastic in a few years, but I haven't been playing a whole lot either.

and yes compared to other hobbies, it's fairly inexpensive.
TP cyclones???

TP = Tourney Pro. It was a blend of plastic by Discraft before they came up with Elite X/X. I used to get them in the used bins for like $5 each. They are sweet fliers but they are out of production. I ditched most of them.

Oh yeah that's another thing that will drain your wallet, OoP discs. I'm staring that down now. I have a decent stack of Avengers (not SS). I'm asking myself if I want to buy up a stack or do I want to try the Vulture, or switch to the PD or Thunderbird or play OLF roulette. Disc golf can be a pain.

Of all the hobbies/sports I have taken up in the past disc golf is by far the cheapest even when you have a disc buying problem. In the past I got burned out on disc golf and went from a regional tournament player to a few rounds a year casual player. That hiatus was almost ten years, and wow did things change since I was gone. The amount of disc manufacturers has exploded, and each have more and more molds available in multiple plastics. I don't know if I would want to be a starting out player with all of the current disc choices. It was a lot easier when I first started playing and the choices were between Innova and Discraft.

During my hiatus I sold 100+ of my valuable/collectible/OOP discs to get some needed money. Eventually, when I started playing again I wanted to try out some of the new molds that came out in the last 10 years (luckily only from one company). So I bought some used disc lots on here and the facebook groups, misprint mystery boxes, and hit some of the local PIAS looking for some used discs to try. Well, I found many discs I liked and were added to my bag so I needed to buy backups for those. Then I decided I was going to keep playing and bought a back pack bag, and then eventually a cart.

I'm sure after being back playing I have bought 100+ discs in the last year. I still need to do some updated disc inventory so it could be as many as 150-200. Even with a 900+ disc stash it still cheaper than most other hobbies I've had or still have. Plus, I've found from my past selling of my older and/or used plastic I can often make money on them or loose very little. What I am really saying is...

Hi, my name is Matt and I have a disc buying problem.

TP = Tourney Pro. It was a blend of plastic by Discraft before they came up with Elite X/X. I used to get them in the used bins for like $5 each. They are sweet fliers but they are out of production. I ditched most of them.

Oh yeah that's another thing that will drain your wallet, OoP discs. I'm staring that down now. I have a decent stack of Avengers (not SS). I'm asking myself if I want to buy up a stack or do I want to try the Vulture, or switch to the PD or Thunderbird or play OLF roulette. Disc golf can be a pain.

I know the feeling. I love Vibram discs but unfortunately Vibram decided to leave the DG business so everything I like to throw is OOP now. :wall:

Several of my favorite molds are OOP, and I have only more recently become aware of that fact. Fortunately for me. My other disc habit is old vinyl, so I'm used to the search.

Vibram is totally out of DG? news to me...

mmmm vinyl....

seen a guy doing disc golf with 3 discs and jogging that's amazing...not me though i'm a big dude and like to just chill happy to let peeps play through who knows might even learn something from watching.

I get that, I usually play at a brisk but relaxed pace. I'm not a small guy either but in decent shape and just try to play crisp and not lag too badly.

I've been the jogging guy too, but don't always enjoy that frantic pace.

I know the feeling. I love Vibram discs but unfortunately Vibram decided to leave the DG business so everything I like to throw is OOP now. :wall:

Yeah that stunk, I really liked a lot of their offerings.

Latest posts