• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Over head, thumbed tomahawk?

Squirrilah Fish

Birdie Member
I've become a serious player and enthusiast over night. Played another 18 after work. (My second today) that makes 54 holes in 24 hours (almost exactly) I am SORE!

Anyway, I find myself doing a lot of overhand shots. (Even though I'm just starting out again, I have a wealth of knowledge of it from working at play it again).

I know overhead shots are hard on discs, so I was thinking Vibram. I know you want an overs table disc, but there isn't an Olace to my liking available (flick neither) :(

Would an Accent be a successful thumber (over stable fairway)

Thanks

Last edited:
If you're thumbing for max-d, a champ firebird is your best bet. I have a champ bird that has 3 years of service. It's beat, but still flies fairly true to FB flight. That being said, I carry 4 different FBs plus a xXx for OH duties. Unless your throwing into asphalt or rocks, the champ plastic should be good. I know you're asking for vibram - never thrown a vibram OH. Summit is my understable driving putter, and the unlace is my go to for BH drives.

That's good to know about the firebird. The Accent is very very similar spec wise.

Don't know what you mean by search. I searched for this and got nada.
But thanks for taking the time.

Been using a light ascent for awhile for thumbers the m rubber works well.

The Flick is the best disc for upside down shots. The Firebird can't compare. All the FB has is overstability. The Flick has a shape that gives it more lift (or less negative lift) upside down=more distance.

Nuke OS or something similarly warp speed and stupidly overstable also go forever. But the smaller rim on the Flick is nice.

depends on what youre looking for. More overstable will have more left to right movement in flight should go farther, understable discs have less left to right. Obviously changing release angles and what not can negate that.
I generally use a XXX for most OH shots, but also use a teebird and occasionally a patriot. I prefer the small rim of the speed 6-9 discs for them

I do keep coming across the Flick as the go to overhand throw. As for the Accent I have not had a chance to throw it, is it overstable, understable? And what is your end goal for your OH?

Thanks birdman101 for the overview on OH and stability. I am still new to OH and learning more about how stability and release effect what the disc will do. Maybe my notes might help. I just might need an insight on these disc and there specs and why they do what they do.

All thrown OH and generally at a vertical release. By basic understanding of stability is understable=turns quicker and shorter overstable=turns later more distance.
Blizzard Champ Boss - turns over very quick and then dives hard left or right based on Thumber or Tomahawk
Beat up DX Valkyrie - turnover quick, short distance. Can throw around obstacles if released at 45 deg.
Champ Tee bird - haven't throw enough yet to understand OH
Champ Banshee - slower turnover, glides to ground upside down. Using this for "pancake" shots. Got an amazing shot when it pancaked off a concrete path last week
DX Viper - Straight up, straight down. Very accurate for attack
Left to figure out - DX Shark, DX Beast, Star Echo Mako, and Classic ROC.

Your right birdman101, it depends on what you need the disc to do...

Beat in 175g Latitude 64 XXX for distance thumbers. Flat is preferred. Thank me later.

The Flick is the best disc for upside down shots. The Firebird can't compare. All the FB has is overstability. The Flick has a shape that gives it more lift (or less negative lift) upside down=more distance.

Nuke OS or something similarly warp speed and stupidly overstable also go forever. But the smaller rim on the Flick is nice.

MIght depend on the firebird. I had a metleflake champ with a super flat top that was way better for thumbers than the normal champ fb.

Beat in 175g Latitude 64 XXX for distance thumbers. Flat is preferred. Thank me later.

More overstable = slower pan = more distance

... so why would someone want a beat-in anything for more distance?

I use tb for placement thumbers/Tommy shots and polecats/claws (polecat clone) or rocs for overhead shots that just need to go left or right. It's cool to watch them drift while upside down.

I've become a serious player and enthusiast over night. Played another 18 after work. (My second today) that makes 54 holes in 24 hours (almost exactly) I am SORE!

Anyway, I find myself doing a lot of overhand shots. (Even though I'm just starting out again, I have a wealth of knowledge of it from working at play it again).

I know overhead shots are hard on discs, so I was thinking Vibram. I know you want an overs table disc, but there isn't an Olace to my liking available (flick neither) :(

Would an Accent be a successful thumber (over stable fairway)

Thanks

A buddy uses the Ascent for this shot, and throws it well. He uses a Medium which seems to take the impact well. Occasional bounces but the disc is holding up well. If you want a faster disc that is still the rubber blend, try a Solace (old Four20 mold).

I am having great success with my Ascent (177 firm) on tomahawks and thumbers, aside from overthrowing, it's hard to judge those distances. I'm still a beginner, so I'm not the best judge, but the flight/turnover looks the same as it does in YouTube videos, and I really like that there's hardly a mark on it. I got a Summit as well, and it's basically replaced my Warden as my go to putter, although I still prefer the Soft Magnet when I'm within it's range. (Which isn't very far for me)
I'm really starting to see why some of my customers have switched completely to Vibram.

Latest posts