• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable mids

Another difference between them is that the Drone is large diameter and Gator is small diameter.

Personally I prefer small diameter, as the only large diameter discs I throw are Cobra/Buzzz/Roc.

Ditto with the Trident. I have a beefy Vector, and that's as overstable as my "mids" go. If I need something more stable, out comes my Trident.

a comprehensive list might be
Drone (straight to heavy fade, workhorse perhaps)
Demon (Gateway's entry, very HSS, very LSS...might be Whippet like)
Gator (straight to heavy fade, workhorse mid in many players bags)
Zone (fast putter, very HSS, very good fade...a comparable disc to the Gator)
Jokeri (again a fast but OS putter)
Hornet (more like a shorter TB, decent glide, quite HSS, solid fade)
Whippet (very OS fairway but could be used for shorter stuff)
Viper (very OS fairway but could be used for shorter stuff)
Trident (very OS fairway but could be used for shorter stuff)
Cro (small diameter, not a lot of glide, not as OS as you would really want)

I also slow down a Trident if I need a midrange meathook, occasionally a xXx works depending on how overstable I need the disc to be. As far as a true midrange, my most overstable is a GL Pain............ =-)

a comprehensive list might be
Drone (straight to heavy fade, workhorse perhaps)
Demon (Gateway's entry, very HSS, very LSS...might be Whippet like)
Gator (straight to heavy fade, workhorse mid in many players bags)
Zone (fast putter, very HSS, very good fade...a comparable disc to the Gator)
Jokeri (again a fast but OS putter)
Hornet (more like a shorter TB, decent glide, quite HSS, solid fade)
Whippet (very OS fairway but could be used for shorter stuff)
Viper (very OS fairway but could be used for shorter stuff)
Trident (very OS fairway but could be used for shorter stuff)
Cro (small diameter, not a lot of glide, not as OS as you would really want)

Thanks for this. Very helpfuul.

I use the Cro, which isnt' as OS as a gator, but does the trick on longer hyzer shots. It's got a bit more touch with it, where you don't have to snap the hell out of it to get it where it needs to go.

I found an un-named/phone numbered viper at a course a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea what it was. Sweet forehand disc. I never knew they made something so OS.

Gator and Hornet are my favorite OS mids. I have a 2010 CFR gator that is very flexible, and just plants itself at the end of a spike hyzer approach.

I've heard the champion gator is the most overstable of the gators. Harder to find, but still. As of late, I've been a big fan of the MVP discs, with their vector being the overstable midrange. It's not super OS, but the gyro tech keeps it from flipping. So I'd say, in order of distance, my favs are rhyno, gator, vector, and firebird.

Nobody ever talks about the DGA Shockwave,not the Aftershock. The Shockwave is amazing.

I second th e pain. It's pretty overstable but has way too much glide for me.

Also, check out a wasp.

I have used a viper and whippet for the as well.

I have thrown CFR and Glow Gators back-to-back with my fancy pants $100 old school Champ Gator and they landed within 5 feet of each other on full-power backhands. So there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a CFR/Glow if you can't afford the old pearlys! ;) Only difference is the old ones are flatter and prettier, unless you are a metal flake fan.

And good lord, I thought the only person that actually threw a Trident was Steve Carrell in Anchorman. Good to know there are real golfers that actually use them...

I use the Vector and a Glow Gator. Vector is far less stable with more glide, but the Gator is amazing for short upshots where I want it to sit hard.

The hornet might be a good alternative to try over the drone. The rim is a little more thin and easier to really grip with my modified power grip.

for some reason when i flick a gator it whistles.....
drone over gator (esp le flx drone that is)