• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul and Paige vs. The Field(s) at Worlds?

jjmiller

Eagle Member
They both won Ledgestone, they've both had some pretty dominant wins lately, and they both seem to have a little chip on their shoulders. Well, I'd say that Paul almost certainly does- seems like he's been a man on a mission since he signed his contract. And Paige sorta seemed like she took it personally that Cat won several tournaments early this year/people maybe questioned Paige's commitment. And they're both going for #5.

I'm not rooting for anyone in particular at Worlds, and I don't want to be a fanboy, but I'd probably take Paul and Paige over the field if I were making a bet.

I'd take Paul vs the Field, I'm not feeling Paige vs the field, but I also don't follow FPO closely. Will the FPO be playing Eureka Temp?

I will take the field. This will probably be the most pressure Paul has ever had going into worlds. I will be rooting for him because i love watching greatness but if i were betting money, im taking the rest.

I'd take Paul vs the Field, I'm not feeling Paige vs the field, but I also don't follow FPO closely. Will the FPO be playing Eureka Temp?

FPO does not play Eureka. They're playing Sunset Hills (same course they play at Ledgestone) and Northwoods Blue. As they're playing courses more suited to their skill level, as opposed to playing a Gold course like at the European Open, I think it will be a closer battle, but I'd pick Pierce against the field. Plus, it's an odd number year.

McBeth seems motivated, it's hard to bet against him. But it is a deep field of competitors. He's got the tougher road for sure, but the way he's been playing, I'm not betting against him over five rounds. Cream rises to the top.

Shocked to here this with no mention of DD touring pro men. The Dynamic Disc touring pro men should be the play against the field, lol.

if i were betting money, im taking the rest.

If I were betting money, I'd need to see some odds :thmbup:

It would have to be favorable for the field to get me to bet against McBeth this year. Paige seems a little more beatable on courses that are scaled a little more to the FPO field, but has seemed unbeatable on MPO gold level against her division (at least in the last couple months)

Noboby in the MPO field has really been as dominate as McBeth this year. Ricky's putting isn't what it was circa 2016-2017. The Eaglet can't close. Simon's a non factor. KJUSA maybe...but like Eagle, he's not a closer.

Kinda leaning towards Paul over the field. That win at EO proves that he is mentally tough enough to battle back, even after a disappointing round, and when competitors have been red hot. I think that stamina to keep charging in spite of some setbacks is going to be 100% necessary at Worlds. No way anyone in MPO can wire-to-wire it and win walking away.

Another factor in Paul's favor is that he's skipping Idlewild and maybe practicing extra at the Worlds courses. I had originally wondered if he might lose a step or two when skipping the Portland leg of tour this year, but he came right back and kept crushing the very top tier of competition. So after seeing that, taking this break makes perfect sense.

Shocked to here this with no mention of DD touring pro men. The Dynamic Disc touring pro men should be the play against the field, lol.

Who from DD do you think has a shot at even winning, much less being a favorite? Risley? Oakley? Melton? I wouldn't pick the combination of them over any one of the top 5 or 6 players on tour so far this year.

Paul and Ricky are closely enough matched in skill that any competition between them can come down to who gets the breaks and who doesn't. That said Paul is a ferocious competitor and I'm fairly certain he's had his blood vessels surgically filled with ice he's so cool under pressure.

Paige has been so much better than the FPO field recently it's not even fair, but historically that hasn't always been the case.

I wouldn't put money against either one.

PP wins her Worlds every two years, and she's due this year. And no one but Cat is even close to her. Unless she does something really dumb, it should be a coronation.

Paul will face a (much) more competitive field, but he's playing very well with his new quiver of Discraft arrows. Eagle has been playing very well, also, but IMHO his (Eagle's) problem is stamina over the long haul. So I'll go with McBeth (as well as PP) to make it 5x.

Paul always has strong finishes. Likes to climb if he starts slow. Think that separates him from most. So, I wouldn't bet against him. But I don't really gamble. So... I just hope for a good/entertaining battle.

And although PP is dominant as of late, I think part of it is Cat falling behind. I think it's a no brainer it'll be PP or Cat, but I wouldn't count Cat out yet. She could catch fire at any point again.

I think older Paige just didn't have the heart to beat younger Paige last year. Maybe she does this year.

Sorry but there is no such thing as a fluke winning a 5 round tournament at that level.

That being said, I still think worlds needs to be 6 rounds, semi+final.

The fluke is that Paul and Ricky didnt play up to their potential for those 5 rounds

Not saying Barsby didnt play well and doesnt deserve it.

Latest posts