• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth #27523

I think with his Foundation and the new property in Florida, his hands are more full than they were when he could just concentrate on training and practice.

He is a proud poppa too.

Lebron James said the following about being great. That one has to have the discipline to sacrifice love ones to be great. In saying this he meant you have to have discipline to tell your family and friends no when they want attention, because you too focus on your training.

Not many have that type of fortitude and I am sure it changes over one's career. And Ultimately players have different goals than their fanbases.

Paul tore his labrum in his shoulder (almost identical injury to Eagle) and chose not to have surgery and instead go with stem cell therapy. While all those other distractions are certainly an issue, I'm betting the shoulder injury has way more to do with it. I tore my labrum when I was pitching in college, tired continuing without the surgery and I was much less effective. Had the surgery, and was never the same velocity or control wise. Although he may only care about Majors and World Titles and DGPT events are just casual rounds for him at this point.

1713197221795.png
1713197238627.png

Which surprises me because he was the first disc golfer to start training like a professional athlete. Priorities must have shifted over the last couple years.

You could be right. I'm still feeling a little like this on his behalf so far this season:

200w.gif

Attachments

• 1713197231299.png
    1713197231299.png
    244.8 KB · Views: 1
Paul tore his labrum in his shoulder (almost identical injury to Eagle) and chose not to have surgery and instead go with stem cell therapy. While all those other distractions are certainly an issue, I'm betting the shoulder injury has way more to do with it. I tore my labrum when I was pitching in college, tired continuing without the surgery and I was much less effective. Had the surgery, and was never the same velocity or control wise. Although he may only care about Majors and World Titles and DGPT events are just casual rounds for him at this point.
I have a minor tear in my right labrum that was never severe enough for surgery, but I have also been very wary of doing anything other than a control forehand on that side of my body. Sorry to hear about this since it was likely much more important in your life at the time...

hadn't really been caught up on the haps with his injury so I missed this when it came out:

^I'm not sure if that type of stem cell treatment is correctly described as alternative medicine. The "where's the harm" debate is similar though. I'm sure not qualified to answer this, but: should he have been advised that there's no good evidence that injecting stem cells would help?

Sounds similar to what happened with Andrew Luck except I think he did have the surgery IIRC. Either way it never really healed

I have a minor tear in my right labrum that was never severe enough for surgery, but I have also been very wary of doing anything other than a control forehand on that side of my body. Sorry to hear about this since it was likely much more important in your life at the time...
While I do recommend the surgery for throwing athletes, labrums are very non vascular and don't heal well, tear easily again post surgery, and it's a long and uncomfortable recovery window. Tearing mine at 19 didn't seem like a huge deal, but it actually was in hindsight. Getting shot just under the collar bone years later in Afghanistan put a nail in the ever throwing anything right handed again. So now I get to play disc golf lefty, with horrible form, grinning from ear to ear having a blast, and zero pressure to ever be good at it. I couldn't imagine being Eagle or Paul trying to power up with the uncertainty of the stability of their shoulders. Probably some level of slop/looseness in those shoulder joints which would make hitting lines accurately a crap shoot even with perceived perfect execution, especially on forehand.