• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

European Open 2023

Tattar averaged 1000 this event. A game of rating inches!

Dunno how to add spoiler tags if people are into that, so I'll wait a hot second to let the dust settle to ask about favorite stories from what looks like a crazy tournament finish in MPO.

Wonder whats up with Rebecca Cox? she was the 10th highest rated in the field and got 2nd to last. .

Tattar averaged 1000 this event. A game of rating inches!

Dunno how to add spoiler tags if people are into that, so I'll wait a hot second to let the dust settle to ask about favorite stories from what looks like a crazy tournament finish in MPO.
To achieve her goal, she's gotta really keep the gas hammered. Like you said - a game of inches, and those inches get harder and harder at the top.

To update my post from post-R2....

She's going to be dropping a 954 that will be over 1 year old.

And then adding PCS and this event... she shot on average 17 points below her rating at PCS across 3 rounds, and now with EO complete she shot 6 points above her rating this weekend for 4 rounds.

Additionally - she's gonna go from 65 rated rounds to 71, so going from 17 to 18 double weighted rounds...

Her six oldest double weighted rounds at the moment are 984, 967, 991, 993, 1023, 979. Those get replaced by the 7 rounds at EO and PCS... 960, 972, 999, 1016, 1020, 979, 985

Sorting those
967 979 984 991 993 1023 - No longer double weighted
960 972 979 985 999 1016 1020 - New double weighted

So she's adding 7 rounds that are slightly below her rating (990).
Those rounds will all be double weighted.
She's un-doubling 6 rounds averaging 989.5
She's losing a 954.

Effectively she's adding 14 rounds into the calculation at 990 and losing 7 rounds averaging 984.

So even though she shot below her rating this period, there's a good chance her rating improves a bit. But despite that, this rating period looks like a long term impediment to the goal of being 1000 rated.

The Final back 9 was a rollercoaster! Wow! I'm not going to spoil anything, but one of the guys who used to be known for coming from ahead to lose… won't be any more.

And two other guys still will.

And he shows up to caddy for AB…. That bag doesn't hurt the shoulder?

His thumb basically didn't leave the beltloop at all when I saw him on camera. He was very clearly favoring it even with his posture.

I hurt my shoulder a few weeks ago and haven't been able to throw forehand since then...but I can throw backhand just fine. It's almost like the shoulder is a complex joint where an injury doesn't prevent 100% of use...

To achieve her goal, she's gotta really keep the gas hammered. Like you said - a game of inches, and those inches get harder and harder at the top.

To update my post from post-R2....

She's going to be dropping a 954 that will be over 1 year old.

And then adding PCS and this event... she shot on average 17 points below her rating at PCS across 3 rounds, and now with EO complete she shot 6 points above her rating this weekend for 4 rounds.

Additionally - she's gonna go from 65 rated rounds to 71, so going from 17 to 18 double weighted rounds...

Her six oldest double weighted rounds at the moment are 984, 967, 991, 993, 1023, 979. Those get replaced by the 7 rounds at EO and PCS... 960, 972, 999, 1016, 1020, 979, 985

Sorting those
967 979 984 991 993 1023 - No longer double weighted
960 972 979 985 999 1016 1020 - New double weighted

So she's adding 7 rounds that are slightly below her rating (990).
Those rounds will all be double weighted.
She's un-doubling 6 rounds averaging 989.5
She's losing a 954.

Effectively she's adding 14 rounds into the calculation at 990 and losing 7 rounds averaging 984.

So even though she shot below her rating this period, there's a good chance her rating improves a bit. But despite that, this rating period looks like a long term impediment to the goal of being 1000 rated.
I'll update my post as well, then.

I believe she will be going from 15 to 17 double weighted rounds as I think it is rounded down. Her unweighted average will go up to 992.93 from 992.63, and her weighted average will go up to 993.51 from 993.00. A total gain of +0.51.

Most likely she will stay at 994 but she might get +1 up to 995.

There is a very slight inaccuracy in this, I think individual rounds may be calculated and saved with a higher degree of accuracy than is displayed on the PDGA website, but it shouldn't be off by more than 1 point.

Solid finish/drama. Tin cup moment.

Felt bad for AB, but happy for Ellis.

I think this years scores vs last year really highlight how unbelievable Eagle and Paul played last year.

This course is incredibly demanding mentally. Really difficult to play consistently.

The best round of the event was -12, but the win required —8.25 average.

The design of this course seems to balance OB very well. It's not obtrusive like USDGC.

Captain Hindsight question. AB had a 2 stroke lead. His drive on 16 left him in a less than ideal spot.

A lay up doesn't guarantee a 4, but odds are pretty good. Would be a one stroke swing at most with 2 to go.

I can't imagine being in his position with his ability and thinking of playing it safe. Basically 3 shots to make the island before tragedy?

But hindsight does say a layup would have been a smarter play.

I suppose a few more strokes lead would make that an easy call. 2 strokes is much more marginal.

AB has all the talent in the world to become a top player. Have to wonder if he will get the mental part dialed.

I'll update my post as well, then.

I believe she will be going from 15 to 17 double weighted rounds as I think it is rounded down. Her unweighted average will go up to 992.93 from 992.63, and her weighted average will go up to 993.51 from 993.00. A total gain of +0.51.

Most likely she will stay at 994 but she might get +1 up to 995.

There is a very slight inaccuracy in this, I think individual rounds may be calculated and saved with a higher degree of accuracy than is displayed on the PDGA website, but it shouldn't be off by more than 1 point.
I could be wrong but I've always felt my spreadsheet was more accurate rounding up on the most recent 25%. I don't know where or when I heard that or if I just figured it that way.

Solid finish/drama. Tin cup moment.

Felt bad for AB, but happy for Ellis.

I think this years scores vs last year really highlight how unbelievable Eagle and Paul played last year.

This course is incredibly demanding mentally. Really difficult to play consistently.

The best round of the event was -12, but the win required —8.25 average.

The design of this course seems to balance OB very well. It's not obtrusive like USDGC.
Excellent point!

DGN paywall + time difference. Seems pretty similar to the USDGC kind of hype the past few years. Overall I think there has been less enthusiasm for following along with any of the Pro tour events/Majors from the more casual fans if they can't watch post produced next day or final round live for 'free'.
I was having this conversation with some longtime DG buddies about how the paywall has made everything feel less exciting. The delay in releasing coverage is pretty much a death knell in making a tournament seem impactful or important. We play more disc golf nowadays than we did ten-twelve years ago, (and generally more "into" disc golf) and we all reached the agreement 2019-2020 was really the end of exciting disc golf coverage.

I was having this conversation with some longtime DG buddies about how the paywall has made everything feel less exciting. The delay in releasing coverage is pretty much a death knell in making a tournament seem impactful or important. We play more disc golf nowadays than we did ten-twelve years ago, (and generally more "into" disc golf) and we all reached the agreement 2019-2020 was really the end of exciting disc golf coverage.
Delay in releasing coverage? It was always delayed, what do you feel is different now?

UDISC eliminated any element of surprise as to the outcome.

We now have live coverage as an option.

But your preference seems to be 24 hour delayed/edited coverage.

I don't disagree that there are events I'd rather watch ~30 minutes of highlights than 4 hours worth, but the issue seems you prefer less real time coverage for a packaged post production.

Right or wrong content producers are going to try and deliver real time content (live).

Captain Hindsight question. AB had a 2 stroke lead. His drive on 16 left him in a less than ideal spot.

A lay up doesn't guarantee a 4, but odds are pretty good. Would be a one stroke swing at most with 2 to go.

I can't imagine being in his position with his ability and thinking of playing it safe. Basically 3 shots to make the island before tragedy?

I suppose a few more strokes lead would make that an easy call. 2 strokes is much more marginal.

AB has all the talent in the world to become a top player. Have to wonder if he will get the mental part dialed.

Was thinking the same thing. I think when going into 16 (at least leading the tournament final round!) you should have a plan. Like "if I miss it once, I'll lay up." AB just seemed to go into the basic panic rapid fire mode that every year gets someone. (Done it myself too, took a 16. Different course but basically same deal) 30 seconds is a long time. Use it. Especially with Paul on the bag, did they not talk at all? Would love to hear if any words were exchanged.

In any case, Corey worked for and deserved it. Its not like AB was the only other contender and folded, giving him the win on a platter.

Looking at the stats i wonder if Kristin could have made the cut in MPO?

There was 13 MPO player at KT rating or lower..she beat 12 of them with a score of 185 after 3 rounds
Only one player at KT rating made the cut and played R4. . he ended up at 67th place with 248 throws total
Kristin had 249 throws total

But the MPO had 4 longer tees, how much that would "hurt " Kristins score i dont know. . but she just might have made the cut in MPO

Looking at the stats i wonder if Kristin could have made the cut in MPO?

There was 13 MPO player at KT rating or lower..she beat 12 of them with a score of 185 after 3 rounds
Only one player at KT rating made the cut and played R4. . he ended up at 67th place with 248 throws total
Kristin had 249 throws total

But the MPO had 4 longer tees, how much that would "hurt " Kristins score i dont know. . but she just might have made the cut in MPO
You needed to play 3 rounds on 185 strokes to make the cut in MPO, KT played 3 rounds on 185 strokes. If she loses one single stroke by playing the 12 longer tees then she doesn't make the cut.

Can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have made the cut.

You needed to play 3 rounds on 185 strokes to make the cut in MPO, KT played 3 rounds on 185 strokes. If she loses one single stroke by playing the 12 longer tees then she doesn't make the cut.

In the first 3 rounds she birdy those 4 shorter holes a total of 5 times . . .and had 2 bogyes
I guess it would have been close. . but most likely she would have been 1-3 throws below the cut.....but still a few "big" MPO names that did not make the cut. . .

Throughout the tournament I saw people miss the island and then immediately lay up to the closest bubble. They had a plan. Ellis laid up for par every round except the final.

Tin cup moment for AB might scar him for a while. I hope he can laugh about it because the alternative is cold sweats and no sleep!

In the first 3 rounds she birdy those 4 shorter holes a total of 5 times . . .and had 2 bogyes
I guess it would have been close. . but most likely she would have been 1-3 throws below the cut.....but still a few "big" MPO names that did not make the cut. . .

She seemed to really downshift the last two rounds, though. Lost focus on a handful of putts she normally makes. I'm guessing if she had needed those, she would have made them and would have come in lower than 185 strokes. I vote for cut made.

He had Paul on the bag. That was a teaching moment that would/could have benefitted AB and Discraft.
I don't believe there was any discussion between island misses. AB is a great player that always finds a way to bring himself back to the field.
This was more than failing to make the island. This was a caddy failure as well.

Did she make more mistakes in R3, or did she change her plan and play more conservatively once she had a secured lead and likely victory?