• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ledgestone Open 2023

Got Damn holes 7 and 10 at Eureka were each aced in round 1 and round 4.

Too bad we don't have film of Nikko acing 10.

A few holes at Eureka looks abit soft.

Hole 7 of the top 10 players we had 9 birdys and one ace.
Hole 16, every single player in the top 10 had a birdy

But insane round by Cole. . and the holes he missed Calvin hade birdys or ace on (exept on 18). . .so a -18 is possible

Final round was very fun to watch. Agree the live coverage of the aces cannot be replicated. MPO winner and 2nd place played out of their minds, although it would have been even more fun if Northwood Black was rounds 2 and 4. Not as much room for score separation on the lake.

I was at a cabin all weekend that didn't have cable, so spent most of my nights watching the coverage of this. IT was a fun one to watch.

Just had a look at that. She was in a truly awful spot, and is not generally a slow player, as far as I remember. Surprised Hokom made the call, really.
Hokom took a really long time on like the next hole and Ian was like openly rooting for her to get penalized back. He even stated that the other players "keep that one in their back pocket for later this year" suggesting they pull out the time violation call at a time that would be more punishing to Hokom.

Final round was very fun to watch. Agree the live coverage of the aces cannot be replicated. MPO winner and 2nd place played out of their minds, although it would have been even more fun if Northwood Black was rounds 2 and 4. Not as much room for score separation on the lake.
I thought about that. I don't have a firm opinion, but overall, the event was fun to watch. So, from an outcome based view it worked IMO.

Once again, not a firm opinion, but playing NB as a final round could be so punishing as to feel like a beat down and kill the energy of the players.

So Redalan finally put it together for a whole weekend, eh?

I'd say "about time" if he was a bit older, but he's now been on this level for about 2 years. He's been 1025-1030 rated every update since late 2021. Since the start of the 2022 season he's put together, including this weekend, 6 1075+ rated rounds. Its definitely felt like a matter of "when" and not "if" for a minute now. He's gonna have a hell of a career.

A few holes at Eureka looks abit soft.

Hole 7 of the top 10 players we had 9 birdys and one ace.
Hole 16, every single player in the top 10 had a birdy

But insane round by Cole. . and the holes he missed Calvin hade birdys or ace on (exept on 18). . .so a -18 is possible

Similar to thoughts in my replay to seedlings--a couple of softer holes on the final day can help keep players motivated. Even if they aren't scoring versus competition, if they have a bad hole or two and then come back with a birdy, it's got to help the mental side.

Even when someone is having a decent round at NB, it seems like a beatdown mentally with no relief if the player is struggling.

I'd say "about time" if he was a bit older, but he's now been on this level for about 2 years. He's been 1025-1030 rated every update since late 2021. Since the start of the 2022 season he's put together, including this weekend, 6 1075+ rated rounds. Its definitely felt like a matter of "when" and not "if" for a minute now. He's gonna have a hell of a career.

Lot of players looking to become a part of the elite (what was the 1050 club a couple of years ago). Gannon and Cole seem to be making claims to that territory.

Similar to thoughts in my replay to seedlings--a couple of softer holes on the final day can help keep players motivated. Even if they aren't scoring versus competition, if they have a bad hole or two and then come back with a birdy, it's got to help the mental side.

Even when someone is having a decent round at NB, it seems like a beatdown mentally with no relief if the player is struggling.
Haha I think we have opposite tastes in terms of what we want to watch in pro DG. Give me some struggling players getting beat down mentally any day.

Lot of players looking to become a part of the elite (what was the 1050 club a couple of years ago). Gannon and Cole seem to be making claims to that territory.
I'd put Burridge in that category, if this isn't just a temporary hiatus from his academics (I'd be a little surprised if he didn't have grad school in front of him). He's not much older than them, and he's only just starting to take it seriously after being a serious student at U of Michigan.

I forgot who it was, but they asked someone on the disc golf network about it and he made a comment about how Cole wouldn't be able to keep up and Calvin was going to take him down today.

I forgot who it was, but they asked someone on the disc golf network about it and he made a comment about how Cole wouldn't be able to keep up and Calvin was going to take him down today.
1077 - 1039 - 1029 (7th) (DGPT)
1015 - 1025 - 1077 (1st) (B Tier)
992 - 1018 - 1077 (28th) (DGPT)
1030 - 1016 - 1077 (4th) (DGPT Silver)
1038 - 1031 - 1081 (2nd) (DGPT)
998 - 1012 - 1082 (15th) (DGPT)
1025 - 1035 - 1085 - 1053 (6th) (A Tier)
1023 - 1085 - 1014 (14th) (DGPT)

Based on all of his previous 1075+ rated rounds, that was a bad prediction. At 5 out of 8 events the 1075+ round was the final round.

Nate Perkins mentioned that Redalen would lose the lead early to both Heimburg & Wysocki. Of course Heimburg being on the chase card meant he would be through a couple holes prior to lead card teeing off. Heimburg ended up getting within 1 stroke thru 3 holes before Redalen completed hole 1. Wysocki had a slow start to the round and fell off the pace pretty quickly.

Based on all of his previous 1075+ rated rounds, that was a bad prediction. At 5 out of 8 events the 1075+ round was the final round.
I think UDisc's predictive Win Probability was pretty accurate to start the round. 37% odds for Redalen to win at the start of R4 vs. 25% for Heimburg vs. 23% for Wysocki . The 4 stroke lead could easily have been blown away if he went OB in a couple places or missed any putts in C1x. We can see by the 1075+ rounds you called out that Redalen can certainly go ultra aggressive for final rounds to try and catch the leaders but this was the first time I remember him being in the lead going into final round with multiple strokes on the field.

I believe he benefitted from the early round rain/dampness which seemed to affect the FH throws a bit more from Wysocki, Marwede, and White. Not sure how much Redalen plays in the rain/damp but its probably more than most since he is from the PNW. He didn't make any major mistakes to take penalties or put him out of position while still landing on the green within 20' of the basket in those conditions. Hole 8 approach, hole 10 putt, hole 11 drive, and hole 12 drive Redalen had some close calls to going OB if his shots reacted slightly different (wet grass helped a bit I think).

He has also shot awful final rounds from lead card before, like OTB and Portland this year and Resistance Discs in '21, off the top of my head.

We can see by the 1075+ rounds you called out that Redalen can certainly go ultra aggressive for final rounds to try and catch the leaders but this was the first time I remember him being in the lead going into final round with multiple strokes on the field.
He has also shot awful final rounds from lead card before, like OTB and Portland this year and Resistance Discs in '21, off the top of my head.
True, it was a simplistic analysis. It doesn't look at all at all the times he has failed to shoot fire at the end of a tournament. But it seems that IF Redalan is gonna shoot a fire round it comes at the end. This is 6/9 of his > 1075 rounds at the end, and 7/9 3rd round or later.

Interesting to see if the 1050 club will just grow more eclectic, or if someone will start a new club at 1060
There are currently no members of the 1050 club. It seems like the parity we are seeing at the top has flattened out the ratings, or at least prevented a small group from dominating like they used to. Calvin has been the most consistent, and his rating shows this.

Latest posts