• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Board of Director Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be the end of my involvement with disc golf forever, and for most transgender women I think it would be the end for them too.

Your suggestion, which you so casually dashed off, would mean this:

On my driver's license, I'm female. On my passport, I'm female. On my birth certificate, I'm female. When I wake up in the morning, I'm female. When I look in the mirror, I see a woman. Out and about, people see a woman, and treat me as such. To my friends, I'm female. When people are doing crude sexism, I get treated as women do. All day long, every day, inside my head and in the outside world, I'm female.

Then when playing disc golf, no, I would be yanked away from my life and told "no, not here. Here in this sport you play with the men, you man." That would be colossally weird and hurtful and jarring, to be a woman 24/7, in every way in every day, but then to show up to do the one thing I love the most, and to be denied my very womanhood.

This, despite the fact that men have a colossal advantage over me, because they are stronger, have better cardio recovery, etc. Physical transition to female destroys physical ability. We have the science to back this up, and every transgender woman has experienced this first hand.

It is utterly demoralizing to be out playing with casual huckers, and to see some unrated local am bro with no grace, no form, no technique, just arm a Nuke 400' like it's nothing. For me, I need a tailwind, a perfect pull, for everything to go right, and even then I barely get that distance. A bro in jorts and a vape pen in his off hand just grabs any old disc and outdrives me, and doesn't even appreciate realize the gift he's been given in the form of thoughtlessly easy power.

And you want me to go toe-to-toe with MPO? Get bent, mate.

I have had to fight my ass off to be who I am. I have lost more than you will ever know in the process. I have to re-litigate my very existence and very identity nearly constantly, and I do it because it's who I am. I will never not be me, no matter how many people try to tell me otherwise.

What is a casual and painless experience for you, calling me out and trying to deny my reality, is just one part of a never-ending stream that only stops coming at me when I am asleep or alone. You just casually dismiss transgender women and then move on with your day. For me, it never ends.

I have made disc golf my passion for the past seven years. It's all I do, and you want to just end it for me, without even knowing who I am. I will fight you, forever, because I have been fighting people like you forever. It's all I know anymore.

I will have peace only when I am dead, and it's because of people like you.

All that is fine and dandy. When money is involved, things get real. Enjoy the mixed open divisions.

Trust the science.

Perhaps advanced would be a better division for you?

I've been playing 29 years and have only thrown a disc 400+ feet twice in my life.

Applaud your decision, and all that has gone along with that decision. I still don't believe it's right for anyone to play in a division in which they weren't born to play in. Simple as that. I don't care what bathroom you use or who you choose to love or anything else. It's just not right in terms of physical competitions.

This, despite the fact that men have a colossal advantage over me, because they are stronger, have better cardio recovery, etc. Physical transition to female destroys physical ability. We have the science to back this up, and every transgender woman has experienced this first hand.

as far as I know the science on this is far from settled. from the recent FINA document:

According to the Science Group, if gender-affirming male-to-female transition consistent with the medical standard of care is initiated after the onset of puberty, it will blunt some, but not all, of the effects of testosterone on body structure, muscle function, and other determinants of performance, but there will be persistent legacy effects that will give male-to-female transgender athletes (transgender women) a relative performance advantage over biological females. A biological female athlete cannot overcome that advantage through training or nutrition. Nor can they take additional testosterone to obtain the same advantage, because testosterone is a prohibited substance under the World Anti-Doping Code.

All that is fine and dandy. When money is involved, things get real. Enjoy the mixed open divisions.

Trust the science.

The science is not on your side.

I'm rated 885, and a perfect boring hyzer for me maxes out at around 350'. My C2 putting is terrible because putters are heavy when trying to use a putting stroke from outside of the circle. I'd get my ass handed to me in MP50, let alone MP40, or MPO.

Your quip to "trust the science" is based on lies and propaganda, and given the way you thoughtlessly glossed over my post calling it "fine and dandy," you clearly have no empathy or willingness to take me seriously.

Until you do, I'm done taking you seriously. You exist only as a kind of stupid threat to me, capable of doing me great harm, but not actually filled with malice. You think you're doing the right thing as you drive a bulldozer over my body, and then sleep soundly and never think about it again.

People who act like you are why the term "the banality of evil" was coined.

The science is not on your side.

I'm rated 885, and a perfect boring hyzer for me maxes out at around 350'. My C2 putting is terrible because putters are heavy when trying to use a putting stroke from outside of the circle. I'd get my ass handed to me in MP50, let alone MP40, or MPO.

Your quip to "trust the science" is based on lies and propaganda, and given the way you thoughtless glossed over my post calling it "fine and dandy," you clearly have no empathy or willingness to take me seriously.

Until you do, I'm done taking you seriously. You exist only as a kind of stupid threat to me, capable of doing me great harm, but not actually filled with malice. You think you're doing the right thing as you drive a bulldozer over my body, and then sleep soundly and never think about it again.

People who act like you are why the term "the banality of evil" was coined.

Exactly. I had to listen to that "trust the science" crap throughout the scamdemic. I forgot to use my sarcasm font.

Get bent, troll.

This is not a reply, nor a research article. You can have your opinion, but you will need to demonstrate ANY merit and back up any sweeping generalizations, you are using for justification. So far, fear, hate and a complete lack of understanding are your only premise. If that is your platform, fine.

I'd like to see more about the lowering of membership costs.

I'm a little curious about the plans for scaling up, as disc golf continues to boom.

Actually, I can think of dozens of issues I'm interested in, and glad some other folks are volunteering to deal with.

Are there any other issues on the board's agenda over the next few years?

I'd like to see the recent trend towards more paid professional staff in the PDGA continue to grow. The ethos of relying on volunteer labor or the passion of a few people is decades out of date and was fine for a start-up sport, but is no longer good enough. I think more paid staff doing jobs would help the PDGA put out better media, be better organized, and make the PDGA-run events go more smoothly and professionally.

Are there any other issues on the board's agenda over the next few years?

I think step putts (though likely a rules committee issue), running/organizing/supporting/providing security/rules for DGPT and Majors, financial transparency of events and the PDGA as an organization, continued technology upgrades for AM tournament and scoring, genuine efforts to increase youth/family/female participation.

Just a couple topics that I am interested in.

I'd like to see the recent trend towards more paid professional staff in the PDGA continue to grow. The ethos of relying on volunteer labor or the passion of a few people is decades out of date and was fine for a start-up sport, but is no longer good enough. I think more paid staff doing jobs would help the PDGA put out better media, be better organized, and make the PDGA-run events go more smoothly and professionally.

As somebody who works for a non-profit...volunteer burnout is REAL. Good thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.