• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Ratings

harr0140

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I am curious how the PDGA formulates your current rating. How many rounds does it count and does it throw out your top and bottom rated rounds?

The reason i ask is I have played in 3 tourneys now and do not have a rating established because they did the newest ratings the day before my first tourney.

I have rounds of 693, 821, 784, 857, 871, 821 which comes to an average of 808, but I think they have to go on some sort of trend, I just don;t know how mnay rounds until you lose a poorly rated score. I am curious if that will be my rating or if my low round will be tossed. I couldnt find this info on their site so I thought I would bring it to my favorite people!

Thanks, I found it buried deep in that link. Maybe I was just tired of reading and gave up I am not sure.

It looks like my worst round is being dropped then, raising my expected rating from 808 to 830! Yeah!

It looks like my worst round is being dropped then, raising my expected rating from 808 to 830! Yeah!

If you double the last 25% of your rounds (actually they double the the entire tournament of your last tournament, so that is the last 2 rounds I believe), it looks like your rating will probably be 835.....If I got the order of your ratings correct.

Just had to get you those extra points since I am in Pewaukee for the day. :)

Thats right I forgot about the doubling factor. I did write this down. I was just curious what to expect my first rating to be.

I am pretty happy with that rating since I only started playing the sport 4 months ago! I would like to be in the Mid 800's by the middle of the year, assuming I am able to play some more tourneys!

If you're a beginner that's steadily improving (not a phenom) over a year or so it will be hard to get a good rating for at least a year because you'll be carrying around those lower rated rounds that bring your average down... until they drop off your record after about a year.

Yeah, I can't wait for January of next year. Dropping that one 7something rated round that I have. Of course if I have anything above 850 by the end of my first year of playing this crazy game I am going to be stoked.

I used an excel spreadsheet, that calculates ratings. Your rating for the 6 rounds you gave came out to 831. The 693 round is not counted, because it's too low. You need a minimum of 8 rounds before any of the latest rounds are doubled. Hope this helps.

Thanks DWill that explains it for me.

Dropping that one 7something rated round that I have.

Must be nice to lose a 700 rated round, I have a 600 ratd round to drop!

You need a minimum of 8 rounds before any of the latest rounds are doubled. Hope this helps.

You may well be right about that, but that is not how the explanations I have read state it. NBD in my book either way.

You say 831, I say 835, harr0140 says "I love disc golf" :D

Just think, a little less than a month from now we won't have to debate what it will be we can just look on PDGA.com. Too bad my next tournament, which I plan on winning, won't be in that calculation as it happens just a couple of days before.

Also, do not forget that the scores you have now are unofficial ratings. When the official ratings are released, you more than likely will see a change in the numbers.

Seems a lot of people get hung up on the difference of 5-10 or so rating points. That is only 1/2 to 1 throw per round on a normal course. That is not much at all when you consider that an 850-ish player makes around 62-65 throws on a normal par 54 course (SSA ~ 47-50)

Where'd you read that?

Per this document RatingsGuide.pdf found here.

Here's a snippet below:
Rounds in all properly reported PDGA events for the 12 months prior to the date of each player's most recently
rated round are included in a player's ratings calculation. If you have less than 8 rated rounds, the program will go back as far as 24 months until it either finds at least 8 total rounds, or it will select all your rounds if less than 8. All members should receive a rating even if they only have one rated round in the PDGA database. Almost all of your rounds are counted, but those more than 2.5 standard deviations or more than 100 points below your average (whichever number is smaller) are dropped (about 1 in 50). Your most recent 25% (1/4) of your rounds will be double weighted in the calculation so your current performance is a little more important. If you do not complete a round (indicated in event scores as DNF or 999), it's handled as if you didn't play at all and will not be part of your rating calculation.

Hope this helps.

Your most recent 25% (1/4) of your rounds will be double weighted in the calculation so your current performance is a little more important.

Where in this do you read that this does not apply if you have less than 8 rounds (that is what you said upthread)?

I am pretty confident that they do the doubling on tournament boundaries.....meaning that if only 1 extra round is needed to get to to 25%, then all rounds in that tournament will be doubled. So, at times slightly more than 25% will get doubled. You can get a definitive answer from the "Ask Chuck" thread on the PDGA DISCussion Board.

This said, your statement is effectively right in this case (which probably happens often): If one has only 1 tournament played, the entire tournament gets doubled which mathematically is exactly equal to not doubling anything.

Your most recent 25% (1/4) of your rounds will be double weighted in the calculation so your current performance is a little more important.

Where in this do you read that this does not apply if you have less than 8 rounds (that is what you said upthread)?

I am pretty confident that they do the doubling on tournament boundaries.....meaning that if only 1 extra round is needed to get to to 25%, then all rounds in that tournament will be doubled. So, at times slightly more than 25% will get doubled. You can get a definitive answer from the "Ask Chuck" thread on the PDGA DISCussion Board.

This said, your statement is effectively right in this case (which probably happens often): If one has only 1 tournament played, the entire tournament gets doubled which mathematically is exactly equal to not doubling anything.

I know my first ratings, I only had six rounds in and none were doubled.

Latest posts