• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA registration worth it?

Personally speaking, I would advice people new to disc golf, or even tournaments, to hold off a bit on PDGA membership. You can help grow the sport just fine without one, and in my experience, the people who get into any activity full tilt from the get go, and have to have EVERYTHING like they're not up with the Jones's if they don't are usually the first people to permanently burn out, hence contributing to the high amount of non-renewals.

But alas, it's not my dollars being spent. I can't truly define 'worth it' to another person whose paycheck I don't make, and whose financial priorities are different from my own.

I missed the four digit number by only a few hundred, and it bugged me because my BIL had a four digit. Which really is kind of stupid.

As for the OP's question...no, life is a joyless hellscape and joining won't help that. :\

Really? Mine has my number on it. I wonder why they stopped doing that... It's the favorite thing I got.
They stopped numbering them a few years back... glad I joined while they were still doing it. Nice having what amounts to a personalized mini.

As for whether to join or not:
If you plan to play in at least 4-5 sanctioned events that calendar year, the membership literally pays for itself.
If less than 4 events, I'd say it depends how important having your own page for ratings is. If I'm not mistaken, when you play in a sanctioned event, even non-members rounds are rated, you just need to look it up on the PDGA page for that event if you aren't a PDGA member.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, when you play in a sanctioned event, even non-members rounds are rated, you just need to look it up on the PDGA page for that event if you aren't a PDGA member.

I just checked the last tournament I played, and even if the PDGA rates the rounds of non-members, it doesn't show on the tournament results the round ratings if the player's memebership isn't/wasn't current. I have heard though that if someone was to get a membership after you play a tournament, they can contact the PDGA and they could get those originally unrated rounds added to their player profile and calculated into the player's rating. I've played in 2 tournaments - 1 before I got my membership, and 1 after. I would get my unrated tournament added to my profile, but that would've added 2 700 rated rounds to my 3 round 863 rating.

I blew off joining for a few years and they went from 4 digits to 5 by the time I got around to it. I'm waaayyy less cool than I would be if I had the 4 digit number. :|
I'm glad I did join and got a 5 digit number. I don't think I could remember 6. Oh yeah, cool factor, too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think I have one around 44K something or other... had little idea that we were getting close to 100K.

I'm cooler than everyone with 45K and later...
*but not as cool as everyone with 43K and under*

I just checked the last tournament I played, and even if the PDGA rates the rounds of non-members, it doesn't show on the tournament results the round ratings if the player's memebership isn't/wasn't current. I have heard though that if someone was to get a membership after you play a tournament, they can contact the PDGA and they could get those originally unrated rounds added to their player profile and calculated into the player's rating. I've played in 2 tournaments - 1 before I got my membership, and 1 after. I would get my unrated tournament added to my profile, but that would've added 2 700 rated rounds to my 3 round 863 rating.
If you have been a PDGA member but are not current, your rounds will be rated and your rating updated in the background as long as you give the TD your PDGA number. You just won't be able to see your profile data until you renew. Players who have never been PDGA members will not have any official ratings produced. However, if they join within a year of any events played, they can get ratings for those rounds if they send a note to the PDGA Tour Director indicating which events they played.

I just checked the last tournament I played, and even if the PDGA rates the rounds of non-members, it doesn't show on the tournament results the round ratings if the player's memebership isn't/wasn't current.
Thank you. So I stand corrected; pretty much the only way to know your actual round rating(s) is to be a member.

If anyone wants a 5 digit number, they probably should join this year.

I actually think the early 6 digit numbers will be kinda cool in a retro sorta way....100001 - 100999, etc. Almost like starting over with all those zeros.

Considering that most of the lower numbers haven't renewed and might never again, they actually don't mean that much.

I wonder how long it will take to get to 200K

I think I bought mine around 2010 or 2011... so we got about 50K plus in about 7 or so years... jeez, I've been playing disc golf for a while... I always think I just started

I think I have one around 44K something or other... had little idea that we were getting close to 100K.

I'm cooler than everyone with 45K and later...
*but not as cool as everyone with 43K and under*

I'm roughly four times cooler than Noill. :p

Considering that most of the lower numbers haven't renewed and might never again, they actually don't mean that much.
Sometime back, the PDGA did some sort of document on how great the membership attrition was, and I think they broke it down by membership number range. I'd like to see some new data on that.

- How many people renew after their first year.
- How many fall off after year two, year three, etc.
- How many have been current for 5+ years, or 10+ years, etc.
- How many lapsed, but returned later.
- Wouldn't mind seeing the attrition rate by gender, age, or highest achieved player rating.

It was metioned earlier in the thread, but the hotel discounts on the back have almost paid for the membership for me.

Sometime back, the PDGA did some sort of document on how great the membership attrition was, and I think they broke it down by membership number range. I'd like to see some new data on that.

- How many people renew after their first year.
- How many fall off after year two, year three, etc.
- How many have been current for 5+ years, or 10+ years, etc.
- How many lapsed, but returned later.
- Wouldn't mind seeing the attrition rate by gender, age, or highest achieved player rating.

I'm interested in those stats too.

Member since 2010. Played a grand total of 2 events. I think it's worth signing up. Truth is, I don't read the magazine,but I think supporting the organization is wirth the 50 bucks a year.

Anyone know what the disc is? I also want to sign up in 2017.

Pretty sure it's a light weight MVP Wave, with a black core and white rim. It may have changed for this year though.

Last edited:

Latest posts