• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

I really want to dip all the way down to a 135. Just sounds like a blast but something in the back of my head is saying "too light to be workable". Maybe I'll pair it with a 155-160. I feel slighted if I don't at least try the extreme low end weights of a new fission disc.

Especially since my local shop didn't carry fission volts under 163!

So I am guessing from the chart and bigsk.... I mean halcon:p, that this is similar to a champ destroyer?

I've never thrown a Destroyer. The big arms will be the ones to look for when it comes to speed 11+ comparisons.

I would assume that a normal weight Neutron/Proton version of the Photon would be way too much disc for an average arm. The Fission magic is what's allowing guys like me to know what it's like to throw big boy discs. :)

Who's BigSky? :p

The glide is tremendous, even more pronounced than for it's little cousin, the F Volt. I admit to being disappointed when hearing the description of this disc, but it is workable to a fault, and you're going to find a use for it if you throw 250, or 550. They crushed it out of the park with this one.

Well the mean of those two distances is 400, and I can hit that in a tailwind with a Giant or Sorcerer so I should be good :hfive:

So I am guessing from the chart and bigsk.... I mean halcon:p, that this is similar to a champ destroyer?

Hmmm, from Halcon's descriptions I'm guessing these are nowhere near as overstable as the champ Destroyers I've thrown. He mentioned getting a little turn out of this disc at 300' and a fresh champ Destroyer isn't going to turn at all at that distance unless you are throwing with a huge amount of OAT; same for (most) fresh Star Destroyers. He also mentioned this disc adding distance to his game even though he doesn't throw all that far, and I don't think a fresh champ Destroyer is going to add distance to your game over a 10-speed driver unless you have a pretty big arm.

Now Blizzard Destroyers are a totally different matter. I think I've heard that most of those come out OS as well, but Innova Blizzard plastic is so inconsistent that I'm sure there are some out there with turn at 300 feet. So possibly this could be comparable to (some) Blizzard Destroyers.

^ These sound like they might fly similar to the GOOD Blizz Destroyers ^

Back when Bliz was first released I threw some Blizz Destroyers that were absolute monsters in terms of distance potential combined with actually useful golf distance. Those quickly became an aberration with a little wear but I believe the Photon in Fission is going to be that pure, raw distance king of my bag very soon.

I'm pumped for UPS to show up. Gonna take them out to a field and get a feel for them, then probably throw some of the longer holes at Renny Gold.

Man, I am counting the seconds to this release. Any testers get weights under 155? Really curious to see how those come out

Pretty flat, yes, but it has a little more of the rounded shoulder feel that the Axiom drivers do. Definitely not as flat as the Servo or Resistor.

Agreed. We're used to MVP discs but this is a considerably flat driver compared to most.

Disappointed that these are only 21.1 diameter. I thought their new drivers were going to be 21.5? I have a Z Avenger that I love even though I really don't like discraft Z plastic because it feel like the slightly bigger diameter gives it sneaky distance relative to the rim width.

Hmmm, from Halcon's descriptions I'm guessing these are nowhere near as overstable as the champ Destroyers I've thrown. He mentioned getting a little turn out of this disc at 300' and a fresh champ Destroyer isn't going to turn at all at that distance unless you are throwing with a huge amount of OAT; same for (most) fresh Star Destroyers. He also mentioned this disc adding distance to his game even though he doesn't throw all that far, and I don't think a fresh champ Destroyer is going to add distance to your game over a 10-speed driver unless you have a pretty big arm.

Now Blizzard Destroyers are a totally different matter. I think I've heard that most of those come out OS as well, but Innova Blizzard plastic is so inconsistent that I'm sure there are some out there with turn at 300 feet. So possibly this could be comparable to (some) Blizzard Destroyers.
I see what you mean but I was taking the weight difference into account, thinking about what the neutron/proton max weights are gonna be like.

Just got back from the field. Had a 500'+ throw with the 146. It bombs. It's a lot of fun throwing the lighter weights and watching them glide forever.

Based on how these flew, I'm guessing a max weight will be pretty close to a longer Tesla flight, pretty comparable with a Destroyer. Probably start out on the beefier side, and gain some high speed turn as they season. Just a guess though, my heaviest is a 161.

Had a basket setup at 375' and even when I was powering them down I kept accidentally hitting 400' or so and blowing past the basket. Easy D for me.

The lighter weights are surprisingly stable. If you want a raw max D disc, I'd say go below 150g with no hesitation. If you want something that can hold up to some headwind and show minimal turn, then shoot for the 160's.

After that first field session I think I'm going to bag a 161 and 146 for now and keep playing around with them for distance lines. I'll probably see about getting a max weight one too.

After my first hour with the 146g-161g range I'd guess a max weight to be about 12/5/-.5/3.5. These lighter weights would be in between .5 and 1 high speed turn, and definitely have a higher glide rating.

Again this is kind of assuming how a max weight one would fly based on the lighter weights, so those numbers are definitely subject to change as I spend more time with them.

Last edited:
the fireball has the dragon stamp

this is just normal fission as far as I can tell

Latest posts