• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh to Delaware

joshmo65

Eagle Member
I'll be heading out to the Delaware Disc Golf Challenge this weekend and am taking some days off to hit up some courses. Does anyone have any suggestions as to other courses to play or want to meet up for a round?

Thursday:
California University of PA - Coal Center, PA
The Woodshed - Paw Paw, WV
Whippin' Post - Paw Paw, WV
Camp out at Paw Paw, WV

Friday:
Patapsco Valley State Park - Marriottsville, MD
Iron Hill - Newark, DE
Carousel Park - Marshallton, DE

Maybe I'll hit Pinchot State on the way back on Monday. It was miserable playing there in the rain last time I passed through. Anyone available for a round?

I'd skip CalU (not a bad course) but somewhat confusing to navigate, and it is very tiring. I would save your energy for Paw Paw. You can play there all day and have a blast for sure. If you find a green Coleman stove with a bunch of stickers on it at Paw Paw grab it. I doubt any of the old Tiki torches that Jerry and I left there are still working?

Patapsco is sweet. Also look into Seneca Creek while you are out that way.

Sounds suicidal to play those and then play the DDGC.

I'd skip CalU (not a bad course) but somewhat confusing to navigate, and it is very tiring. I would save your energy for Paw Paw. You can play there all day and have a blast for sure. If you find a green Coleman stove with a bunch of stickers on it at Paw Paw grab it. I doubt any of the old Tiki torches that Jerry and I left there are still working?

Patapsco is sweet. Also look into Seneca Creek while you are out that way.

Only reason I put CalU in was because it is the closest (real) course to Pittsburgh that I haven't played. That, and I was planning on staying in Paw Paw, so if I skipped CalU, I would have way too much time in Paw Paw.

I was looking at Sececa Creek, but I don't feel like doing four courses in a day. If I do skip CalU, I could do Paw Paw and Seneca Creek on Thursday and camp out somewhere around there. It would be more expensive, but would get better quality of courses.

Sounds suicidal to play those and then play the DDGC.

Yea, I am aware. Two rounds really isn't a problem for me, but the length and beatdown of these courses could be, um... interesting. I'll just have to be sure to eat a bunch to keep up the energy.

How about playing Tyler State Park in Newtown, Pa on Thursday. I'll be off of work and could show you the course.

I would love to play Tyler, but it is too far out of the way unfortunately. I have somehow missed it the three times I have played in the Lehigh Valley and really need to play there some day. :wall:

Whispering Falls is probably more on your way to Paw Paw, about an hour away from each other. I did those two/three in the same day. I wouldn't worry so much about eating, but the heat and getting enough H2O.

Have you been to Paw Paw? If not, you can easily kill a whole day there and still want to play the courses again.

Also, be warned that you are bout 35 minutes away on a crazy windy road to the closest convenience store. So make sure you have everything you need for the night when you get there.

CalU is ok, but I would skip it and spend the day at Paw Paw. each course takes about 3 hours to play at Paw Paw.

Have you been to Paw Paw? If not, you can easily kill a whole day there and still want to play the courses again.

Also, be warned that you are bout 35 minutes away on a crazy windy road to the closest convenience store. So make sure you have everything you need for the night when you get there.

CalU is ok, but I would skip it and spend the day at Paw Paw. each course takes about 3 hours to play at Paw Paw.
Agreed except for the 3 hour rounds. I made it through Whipping Post in an hour flat by myself first time playing it. I would had liked a little more time but the sun was disappearing on me fast and almost got stuck out there in the dark! :eek:

They recently mowed Brandywine (Wilmington, DE) so it's in great shape. I'd say that's a must play if you're in the area from out of state. It's my home course, so take that recommendation as you will.

So, the new plan is to do Paw Paw and Seneca Creek on Thursday, camping out at Patapsco and then playing the other 3 courses on Friday. That should allow me to avoid the hottest part of the day or at least letting me play slowly I think.

Whispering Falls is probably more on your way to Paw Paw, about an hour away from each other. I did those two/three in the same day. I wouldn't worry so much about eating, but the heat and getting enough H2O.

Whispering Falls is a little too far north for the route I am taking I think. I have looked at it before and it just never seems to be on the way to anything for me.

Totally didn't notice that it was gonna be so hot out. 94 on Thursday and 97-98 on Friday through Sunday. That is absolutely disgusting. I will be sure to have plenty of water on me as I have had heat problems before.

How about playing DE on Thursday? I will be in DE after going to the DMB concert on Wednesday. We can meet up and play Carousel or Iron Hill.

Unfortunately that would mean that I would have to drive straight there and skip all the good courses in the middle. I think I have to pass on DE on Thursday :(

I played Paw Paw back in November of last year. I do remember that I feared for my life driving there, lol. I'll probably be playing by myself and I play rather quickly, so I don't think that it will take 3 hours to play. I seem to recall that it didn't take a huge amount of time to play and navigation was fine.

They recently mowed Brandywine (Wilmington, DE) so it's in great shape. I'd say that's a must play if you're in the area from out of state. It's my home course, so take that recommendation as you will.

I have actually played Brandywine before. Having it mowed nicely would have shortened my round by so much time as I had to look for my disc on every single hole it seemed.

Latest posts